We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Paul Mckenna exposes! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3383 Posts

Profile of Looch
OK this may not seem like much but I'd have thought better of him. On the radio yesterday he was been interviewed and someone asked him about David Blaine and he said that the two of them were friends. They apparently had the same agent in NY and he went on to describe the Balducci Levitation and its secret live on air...OK, many people know it but it's still not the point, I'd have thought someone of his caliber would know better.
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
I am shocked and upset.
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Shows a lot of disrespect. I think it's a naff effect but he still had no right to expose it.
justforeffect
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
153 Posts

Profile of justforeffect
Which radio station was this?
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
MAGIC
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3383 Posts

Profile of Looch
Hahaha, no, it was Hallam FM, it broadcasts in the Yorkshire area, very, very big station for that area.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
That's screaming insecurity for you. Shame on him!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Darko Dojin
View Profile
Regular user
DGAF
163 Posts

Profile of Darko Dojin
Big deal! Paul McKenna is a hypnotist not a mentalist so to judge him on that basis is premature. Besides, everybody knows about the Balducci and Blaine's use of it so the harm done is pretty minimal. No doubt Brad Henderson, Paul Alberstat, Bambaladam and the rest of the ethics police will probably jump on to this and give McKenna the crap they've given Ian Rowland and Andy Nyman. It makes me laugh...
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1256 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I'll be the first to jump on then. He had no need to do something like this. Hypnotist, mentalist, or pet psychic, it does not matter. He is obviously involved in the magic fraternity in some way and with Blaine by his own admission. Why would you expose the work of someone who is supposed to be your friend? To gain name recognition with the public. Nothing more. His name gets put in the papers and becomes more recognizable. Well I will not bite and will not discuss "what's his name" any further.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Darko,

Can you please identify any instance in which I have ever "given any crap" to either Mr. Rowland or Mr. Nyman?

Respectfully,
Brad Henderson
hjelm
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden, Borlänge
112 Posts

Profile of hjelm
What do you mean, Darko? I thought that the first thing you learn is not to expose magic for other than magicians?

Is exposing magic a law for you or not? Maybe "Brad Henderson, Paul Alberstat, Bambaladam and the rest of the ethics police" should react on this?

Not quite so respectfully
hjelm
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Wait guys,

I've met the guy twice and he seems like a pretty nice guy. You all have to remember that McKenna started out in radio and went directly into hypnosis. He has no magic background. He doesn't know about the "no exposure" rule. Blaine might have shown the trick to McKenna, screwed it up, and McKenna just laughed about it. It might be like someone saying, "This guy showed me this amazing trick that used a big plastic finger..."

You can't blame non-magicians for talking about methods. You should, however, blame those who tell non-magicians those methods which they talk about.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3383 Posts

Profile of Looch
Actually, he was onair saying that he had to get blaine extremly drunk before he wourl reveal how he did it, he then went onto going into detail the method used for the balducci, showed the 2 hosts of the show how to do it and later on one of the hosts tried it to the other, and asked for a reaction, to which she replied, "that was crap, you can tell your just stood on one foot, you need to get the angle right.

so what if everyone and their granmothers knows the secret behind this, he is a proffessional and it is still wrong, he should know better.
mysterious_guy
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of mysterious_guy
It was definitely wrong of him to reveal it, don't know how he has the cheek to. Is there anywhere that we can listen to the interview, say an online archive of the radio station?
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
I agree with the general idea here. Even if MacKenna is a dog walker, to reveal other people secrets is not a nice thing. Especially if you call yourself a friend of the person you are exposing.

I don’t see how this could be OK, nice, or smart. Is just plain stupid.
carlomagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of carlomagic
Quote:
On 2004-05-22 00:13, Darko Dojin wrote:
Besides, everybody knows about the Balducci and Blaine's use of it so the harm done is pretty minimal.

Oh really. What a ridiculous thing to say. Mckenna was wrong, he should know better and anyone who thinks they can expose methods based on the concept of "well everyone knows anyway" is a complete fool.

The "harm" done is subjective, but if you have something that is part of YOUR act and some fool is blabbing about it for their own personal idea of favour, you must realize that is wrong.

Like any episode of Magic Secrets Revealed, there is harm to those who have spent hours/weeks/years preparing something, only to have some selfish moron expose it for their OWN, probably only financial, reasons. I cannot see a case for ANY form of intentional exposure of methods, and the fact that Paul McKenna did that really annoys me.

So maybe the Balducci levitation script ends up in the box of budget tricks at our local supermarket, available for 84p, but even then no one has the right to go on to a public forum and intentionally expose it, no matter how you feel about that effect in terms of quality, etc.

Carlo
davidtan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of davidtan
I don't see the huge fuss, the method is well known—anyone with a brain and google can find it.
Darko Dojin
View Profile
Regular user
DGAF
163 Posts

Profile of Darko Dojin
Quote:
On 2004-05-22 01:44, truthteller wrote:
Darko,

Can you please identify any instance in which I have ever "given any crap" to either Mr. Rowland or Mr. Nyman?

Respectfully,
Brad Henderson

Sorry Brad. I mistakenly had your views on people exposing Derren Brown by committee in my head when I wrote this. This has nothing to do with that and I apologize most sincerely and would like to publicly retract my former statement.

That said, I stand by my view that little harm was done and McKenna has, in my view, done nothing wrong in exposing an already exposed method. How on earth can he profit from this? I am not in favour of exposure and do not condone it in any way but I do think that those of you who think McKenna is wrong to have done so ask yourself realistically if you are voicing your anti-exposure views purely because you want to be seen to be 'ethical' and jumping on the bandwagon just because everybody else is voicing this view. You have to look at the actual damage done.

In my opinion, there is little damage done and you need to look at the bigger picture. By making a mountain out of a molehill you really need to get a life. The real issue here is whether Blaine gives a **** by supposedly being betrayed by his friend. However, given the widespread knowledge of this method I have a feeling Blaine doesn't care anymore.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1164 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Listen, it is true that often the exposure shows do little harm but if you love our art why do it any harm at all? The "It does little harm if any" excuse is a poor one for agreeing with or accepting it.

Why should McKenna expose the Balducci? What good did it do him to expose it? What good did it do for anyone else to know it? Did this exposure make him seem smarter in anyway? Did it further his career? Are people going to remember (lay people) that McKenna taught them the secret? Did it strengthen his relationship with Blaine? I think the answer to all of these are NO!

Best to further our art by helping it, by doing good magic, good hypnotism. McKenna could have taken that three minutes and talked about his own exploits, that would have been a better ploy. He could have talked about his relationship with Blaine in a positive way, not in a way to cheapen what Blaine was doing. The statement, "He is a brilliant performer and I am glad to be a friend of his," would have much better served him than the exposure and the fact he had to get Blaine drunk to be a sneeky **** and get the info out of him. (Keep in mind I did not see the show so going on second hand here.)

I am not sure what the equations with this exposure and the "ethic police" have to do with this at all. I agree some go way over in their zealous actions to stop people they think are exposing. I suspect their actions often do more harm than good by cementing the wall between themselves and the people they think are exposing. I have often wondered if any of these people have spoken to those they think of as exposing and asked them where they stand today on the subject and past actions. We all make mistakes. I sure have made mine. Much better to talk to them, understand and try to pull those people into a better way of understanding of what their actions do rather than create an all out war. With war there are always casualties on both sides.

If you look above you will see some such statements only made from the side of those who accept exposure. These kind of attacks do nobody any good and solve nothing other than to give the attacker much sort after attention. (Watch who attacks my statements later.) I have even seen people talking about breaking the law to get back at someone they thought was an exposer.

When I was four years old I knew two wrongs don't make a right it just makes matters worse and puts you lower than the person you felt did the first wrong. How many people are in jail today for doing the second wrong? (Rhetorical question.) Smile

Better to perform wonderful, brilliant magic/mentalism/hypnotism.

As I once said, Blaine has done more to promote magic in a postive way in one special than anyone has done going after people who expose a thousand times. This is not to say we should not try to put a stop to exposing. Any exposure at all hurts our art, even if in a small way. But we need to be smart in how we go about it. Often the attention we bring to it by attacking does more harm than the original exposure. I think, (notice I said 'I think') that it is a very fine line we walk but certainly all of us in this art should be aware of.

I may be wrong on this. If you think I am, by all means disagree but please do so respectfully.

Thanks
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-05-22 17:07, Banachek wrote:

Better to perform wonderful, brilliant magic/mentalism/hypnotism.

Sorry to only quote part of your statement Banachek, but I think this line sums it up totally. Why expend energy on the exposer, when in some respects this is what they want?

There have been many posts on this subject in the past, and originally I was amongst those that said, "Hey what does it matter? It only makes us work harder to come up with new ideas." I have since seen the error of my ways....

However, I stand by what I have said in the past that we need to be aware of what is going on but don't go in guns a blazin'. A recent example is the Houdini Museum, I would never of heard of the exposure if it hadn't been so vehemently opposed and brought into the public eye.

Paul McKenna could possibly be trying to revitalize his 'slipped' career and was wrong to jump on the Blaine bandwagon in THAT way by exposing the levitation... but, shhhhh, it will have slipped by SO many people that we should not bring it to light anywhere but amongst ourselves.

We as a collective group of people can now boycott the people we feel are exposers and gently steer any newcomers away also, if we are so inclined. Not with the cries of "HE IS AN EXPOSER!" but with the tactful approach of maybe, "They are not highly regarded by some..."

Banachek summed it up with that one line, lets concentrate on what our goals and objectives are and keep a watchful eye over the arena, then self-regulate without drawing 'public' attention to it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Paul Mckenna exposes! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL