The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello everyone! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoshP06
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of JoshP06
I would just like to say hey to everyone here. I've been wanting to become a member for a while. I'm still pretty new in terms of my magic journey. I have been practicing on and off for the past year or so. Hopefully I can find more time to practice. I am super excited to join this community!
JR McCormick
View Profile

Belfast
0 Posts

Profile of JR McCormick
Hey Josh!

I am EVEN newer to magic than yourself (having only began my journey with some Hugard texts), but I'll still say hello and welcome!

What sort of stuff are you interested in?
JoshP06
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of JoshP06
Predominantly card magic. I may incorporate a few coin vanishes/sleights into my repertoire. Hugard is a good place to start. Of course, its always good to know even a little bit of all different types of magic. Ropes, Foam balls, coins, mentalism, etc. How about you?
JR McCormick
View Profile

Belfast
0 Posts

Profile of JR McCormick
Cards and Mentalism for myself are the two real pulls for me into this realm.

Studied a little suggestion at university and really enjoyed it so mentalism seems like a logical place to delve for some information.

In tandem with the Royal Road to Card Magic I'm working on memory techniques like Peg, Linking and Loci.

Faaaar to early for me to have any sort of repertoire, but it will be nice to get there one day!

Coins seem VERY difficult to learn, early on - though I hear they get easier with time. Did you start with anything in particular on coin sleights?
JoshP06
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of JoshP06
Just the palm and pass. Spent a couple days on it. Not a lot though. I prefer cards by a long shot.
JR McCormick
View Profile

Belfast
0 Posts

Profile of JR McCormick
What are your favourite card routines at the minute?

Are there any moves you love but you have real trouble with?

I personally have a real stiffness with the DPS that I just can't seem to shrug off. It's a very self sabotaging issue because I'm certain the cover works in the mirror, but when it comes to performing it smoothly I seem to freeze up.
Featherly
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Featherly
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2019, scruffygoldfish wrote:
What are your favourite card routines at the minute?

Are there any moves you love but you have real trouble with?

I personally have a real stiffness with the DPS that I just can't seem to shrug off. It's a very self sabotaging issue because I'm certain the cover works in the mirror, but when it comes to performing it smoothly I seem to freeze up.

Hey scruffygoldfish! As far as the DPS goes, if you know and understand the mechanics, then changing the timing might help you until you become more familiar and relaxed with the sleight. Pausing at certain moments can really break up everything and take heat away from the final “move”.

Also, welcome JoshP06! You commented on mine so I figured I should comment on yours! If either of you ever need help with something don’t hesitate to PM me.

Cheers!

Featherly
JoshP06
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of JoshP06
Alright Featherly, thanks! Sounds like a plan.
JR McCormick
View Profile

Belfast
0 Posts

Profile of JR McCormick
Oh! Thanks for the advice Featherly. I'll try breaking the DPS down into some stages to see if that helps.

My current daily exercise is attempting a smooth back palm. So difficult to get (for me) without showing little bits of card between the fingers... but so incredibly satisfying when you land a good one.

Threw a little "fake" mentalism into a few tricks last night at the pub and it was loads of fun. Finding their selection in the middle of the deck while they held gently onto my wrist; and I pretended to be led to it by miniature muscular twitches.

Did the same thing with someone's hand on my bum and someone else's finger between my teeth.
Featherly
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Featherly
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2019, scruffygoldfish wrote:
Oh! Thanks for the advice Featherly. I'll try breaking the DPS down into some stages to see if that helps.

My current daily exercise is attempting a smooth back palm. So difficult to get (for me) without showing little bits of card between the fingers... but so incredibly satisfying when you land a good one.

Threw a little "fake" mentalism into a few tricks last night at the pub and it was loads of fun. Finding their selection in the middle of the deck while they held gently onto my wrist; and I pretended to be led to it by miniature muscular twitches.

Did the same thing with someone's hand on my bum and someone else's finger between my teeth.

Sounds like a typical weekday night!
Josepher
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of Josepher
When back-palming use some natural slight movement of the hand. It covers up the edges showing.
Also using borderless card might help, though I use regular Bikes.

It's rare when my back-palm is totally hidden, but I (almost) always get away with it because of movement and misdirection.
digitalmarketingboy
View Profile

Mumbai
0 Posts

Profile of digitalmarketingboy
Hi,

I am new and like this forum !
JoshP06
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of JoshP06
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2019, digitalmarketingboy wrote:
Hi,

I am new and like this forum !

Great to hear!
JR McCormick
View Profile

Belfast
0 Posts

Profile of JR McCormick
Hey Josepher!

Thanks for the advice on the back palm. It's definitely a confidence thing right now, as I'm still learning to hold the card there and reproduce.

Pointless having a beautiful vanish and a really clumsy production I suppose.
Josepher
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of Josepher
You are welcome.
Try learning it with both hands. Not easy until you master it, then it's a reflex.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
I found Rich Ferguson top 5 mind reading tricks on YouTube pretty good. Brian Brushwood has some nice card tricks with mentalism too.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome JoshPO6,

We were all new at some time.

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello everyone! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL