The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Turning a regular flipper into a gravity (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2884 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Is is just as simple as stretching the band a little?
Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2603 Posts

Profile of Tom G
You could use a bigger band or stretch it, but then you have a flipper that could open at the wrong time. A lot of gravity flippers use magnets so they will stay shut.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1924 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
The info here should tell you everything you need to know. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/29h2osli3ju3t......CX8xDXra
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
551 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2019, inigmntoya wrote:
The info here should tell you everything you need to know. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for posting. Good information.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2884 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:

Thanks, that's all great info. I'll do some experimenting.

Comparing the gravity flipper that I have to the regular flipper (both quarters, gravity is a Kueppers and the reg is a Tango), seems like mostly the difference is just the tension.
Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
1924 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
Comparing the gravity flipper that I have to the regular flipper (both quarters, gravity is a Kueppers and the reg is a Tango), seems like mostly the difference is just the tension.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The better ones will have an "internal" band so the edge of the insert looks like a normal coin.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
1924 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2019, Tom G wrote:
You could use a bigger band or stretch it, but then you have a flipper that could open at the wrong time. A lot of gravity flippers use magnets so they will stay shut.

Some do, but most don't... the whole point of a gravity flipper is that it automatically drops/flops open from gravity.
You actually have to hold it in a fairly specific way for it to open. Some people even allow spectators to handle them as the "normal" way people hold coins will keep it shut -- Unless you're dealing with coin collectors who instinctively hold coins only by their edges. Smile
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2884 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The better ones will have an "internal" band so the edge of the insert looks like a normal coin.

Awesome, great to know. The Tango one has milled edges on the insert and an internal band. It generally looks better than the Kueppers one which has the groove for the band. I'll be happy if I can get the Tango one to work as a gravity. It's almost there, still a little bit of 'tent' action, but close.
Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4033 Posts

Profile of videoman
Have our resident expert inigmntoya convert your flipper from the typical rubber band to elastic thread. He will not only convert it to a gravity flipper but even better, you’ll never have to replace the rubber band.

He did a great job on my Lassen Morgan flipper and I only wish I had him do it sooner.
Very reasonable prices and terrific work, besides being a very trustworthy person.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2884 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Oh, good to know!
Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
1924 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Thanks... yeah, I've been toying with the idea of offering a "service", but not sure there's much of a market at a price that's worthwhile for both me and the "customer" --- not to mention postage and insurance costs on top of any fee. But if that's something anyone is interested in pursuing, feel free to shoot me a PM - that's how I ended up working on Videoman's flipper.

Quote:
On Jul 12, 2019, videoman wrote:
Have our resident expert inigmntoya convert your flipper from the typical rubber band to elastic thread. He will not only convert it to a gravity flipper but even better, you’ll never have to replace the rubber band.

He did a great job on my Lassen Morgan flipper and I only wish I had him do it sooner.
Very reasonable prices and terrific work, besides being a very trustworthy person.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2884 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Welp.

Snapped the band...

It was getting pretty close, too, just a little minor bit of tenting. Oh well...

Gonna give repairing a shot, thanks for posting the instructions!

I found a little bag of rubber bands that came with one of the flippers. I can't remember if it's the gravity or the regular one, so I'm going to put it on and see. If it's too tight I might go ahead and order some of the stuff you recommend. I actually had some for another (mentalism) gimmick, but it's too thick. The tying of the not sounds a little intimidating however...

Anyway, it's a learning process! I've been doing arts and crafts with magic and mentalism for years but only got interested in coins relatively recently.
Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1607 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Last Laugh:

I've been using Mark Mason's "Next Generation Gravity Flipper" for a couple of years, and it is flawless.

I have the Walking Liberty ($125), but he also makes a Kennedy half version for $70: https://www.jbtvusa.com/p/j-b-exclusives......rk-mason

Without having to worry about band breakage, you'll use a flipper with a lot more confidence. In a Coins Across routine, you can have a spectator shake three coins between her hands, and one escapes and travels to yours. Or openly toss two coins into her cupped hand, but one disappears en route (!) and only one arrives.

Hope you find what you need!

Cheers,
Jerry
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4033 Posts

Profile of videoman
I agree with Jerry. If you would like a new Flipper then that is the way to go.

But if you are happy with the flipper you have and just need a new band then shoot inigmntoya a PM and you will have the equivalent of a Next Generation and save yourself quite a bit of money.

If you can work with that thin elastic thread and can tie a teeny tiny microscopic knot then do it yourself. I didn't even bother to try because I know my limitations and am trying eliminate frustration from my life.

Or you can put a new rubber band in every so often. But even that can be tricky and frustrating unless you have a natural ability.
Sometimes the smartest course of action is to throw a little bit of money at a problem and just make it go away. Smile
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2884 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Thanks guys. This is just a Tango quarter flipper, so I'm going to give a shot at just changing the band just for the know-how, but I'm already shopping for a nicer one to match my silver coins, either a Walking Liberty or Morgan. It does sound like the Mason might be the way to go.

Thanks all.
Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
1924 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2019, videoman wrote:
But if you are happy with the flipper you have and just need a new band then shoot inigmntoya a PM and you will have the equivalent of a Next Generation and save yourself quite a bit of money.

Not quite the equivalent. There's an element to the design of the NGF that makes changing the thread (should it ever be necessary) SOOOOO much easier.

The down-side to the NGF (at least the one in my Triception set) is that the insert doesn't have a "real edge" - no milling and the band is "external".
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2884 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Oh, that is a downside, I'd say. I really like the milled edges. That's whole reason I wanted to try this. I have a gravity flipper, but it's an external groove. I wanted this internal groove, milled edges coin to also be gravity.

So, for now, this worked out well! The bands I had turned out to be the gravity flipper type.

Thanks to Inigmntoya's excellent directions, I easily changed the band.

I had to soak it overnight in alcohol, but I used the non-glue method he recommends so it should be much easier next time.

For now, I've accomplished what I wanted. I now have a pro gravity flipper!

Alas, it's just a quarter. Now I want a nice silver one. This turns out to be an expensive hobby. Heck, I might have to to start doing close up magic gigs to support the habit. Lots more leads for magic than mentalism anyway...
Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Paul V
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Paul V
Quote:

Thank you so much for sharing this, I love performing Relit by Eric Jones and this will help me with my Flipper Coin 😊
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Turning a regular flipper into a gravity (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL