The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Advice on cleaning copper cups while retaining patina (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kipling100
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of kipling100
I recently obtained a set of Charlie Miller cups. I'd like to clean them a little, mainly for dirt, but don't want to remove any patina. Any advice on what type of cleaner I could use? Just soap and warm water?

Thanks!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Yes some soap and warm water... Dawn works well; do not use Palmolive it will mess with the patina. Afterwords wax them up... they will shine and the patina will still come through.

The patina on this set is dark as an old penny, I used some carnauba car wax on them and they look great.

Take care,
Bruce
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Here are a set of Charlie Miller Cups treated the same...

It is amazing how copper takes on so many shades of brown.

Take care,
Bruce
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
I wish my copper English pennies looked so brown! I don’t know why they so stubbornly resist patina-izing. They’re still more orange than mocha.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
kipling100
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of kipling100
Those look beautiful! Thanks for the tips.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Kipling 100,

Thanks... I hope you can get your Cups to a state you are happy with.

Karnak,

I have two suggestions for you if you are into experimenting with your coins.

1... make a paste of water and Palmolive soap and rub it into the coins with your fingers. It might take a coupe times. Do be aware it could ruin your existing patina. Below are photos of some Johnson Products coins I did this to... sorry I do not have before and after photos.

2... bake them in the oven at 400 to 450 degrees for 15 minutes or so. Clean them well first to remove any oils with denatured alcohol. You might have to give them a light polishing with Brasso afterwards. I have used this process on copper Cups.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,
Bruce
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A couple of hints.

If you have a set of copper or bronze cups that have reached a patina you like, but are dirty, clean them with soap and water, something mild, like Ivory soap. Dish soap works well, too. Afterwards, dry them thoroughly and apply a very thin coat of Renaissance Wax. Museums use this on their sculptures, etc. You can get it from Amazon, Woodcraft or Rockler. It's not cheap, but a little bit goes a long way. I have two tins of it that have been in my possession for at least 8 years.

On the other hand, if you have cups with green verdigris on them, then you will need to work with them differently. I can't advise you on this one.

Regarding English Pennies -- heat is probably the best method. Wash them thoroughly, dry them and then heat them in an oven. DO NOT USE AN OPEN FLAME. Also DO NOT USE YOUR MICROWAVE!!!!

Really old English pennies from the Victorian era had a different alloy and durn a really deep brown, almost black. The ones from Edwardian times forward don't do this.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Thanks for the tips on English pennies (sorry, didn't mean to derail this copper cups thread!). Just one final followup question: would it be risky to heat an English penny shell in an oven? Any chance it might buckle or bulge, or no? And would the silver side of a C/S coin be at all affected by such high heat?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Karnack,

I do not have an answer for you... my gut is telling me no.

Take care,
Bruce
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
And, obviously, if the coin has any kind of magnetic gaffus, don’t bake it!
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2019, BCS wrote:
Karnack,

I do not have an answer for you... my gut is telling me no.

Take care,
Bruce

I patina cups 2 ways and coins as well. I either use Liver of Sulpher for coins, and , now don't laugh a Smoker to patina cups. It works like a charm.
It was my brothers idea. He bought a set of new polished copper cups. Well he smokes in his office. Within a week those cups developed a very
nice Patina. So he tried a smoker we have for smoking Pork here outside the shop and it worked.

-MJJ
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Jr... I will have to try the smoker next time the neighbor BBQs.

I hope your dad and family are doing well.

Take care,
Bruce
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Bruce,
give it a try, it really does work.

Bruce, dad passed away just over a year ago. He went into a coma and didn't come back to us.

Kindest Regards,
-MJJ
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Jr... so sorry I did not know... I have been away.

Bless you and your family... I love all my treasures your father has spun.

Bruce
Chuck Finley
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Chuck Finley
I use vinegar and salt and just use my hands to rub them down. I then give them a week and the nice patina starts to return to them and look quite nice. They do get a bit shinier but are still on the dull side.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A bass player I used to work with told me that when he was in the Marines, he couldn't find any brass polish around the barracks, so his D.I. told him to use Tabasco sauce. It worked fine. Two of the ingredients of Tobasco sauce are vinegar and salt.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Advice on cleaning copper cups while retaining patina (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL