The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Taking card payments as hating option. (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Hi guys

As electronic payments with bank and credit cards seem to be on rise as we move to a cashless society, I was wondering what people's thoughts were to the idea of taking card payments as a form of hating the crowd?

D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I don't take card payments, but I do take PayPal and Xoom.
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
Zelle is an interesting option. I’m currently writing a Zelle module for a bank.
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
I think folks would be leary of swiping their credit cards on a busker's phone with a Square Payment module on it. Not to mention the time it takes...would really slow down on passing the hat.

My wife has venmo and cash app set up...and folks all around use it neighborhood to pay each other for stuff. I would investigate that route...perhaps having your Venmo name posted on a sign and metion if they don't have cash they can send you payment "magically" to XXXX...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Lancashire, England
360 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
This is pricey but you could also look into DipJar. Streamlines everything, though at 6% + 17c cc processing it's up there. However, you can set the amount for donation to any number, all they have to do is dip their card. Super easy.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
I know 🎶..the times they are a changin' 🎶,
..but in actuality,
I haven't had any problems yet,
...with 'cash flow'.

In fact, playing three weeks straight,
in Berlin;
almost ALL restraurants had signs:
'CASH ONLY'.
Really.

I suspect things will change,
...but solutions will develope themselves.
I mean,
how will folks be able to sleep at nights,
worrying about,..
not being able to tipp their favourite Street Artist(!) ?

* The BIG change is going to come about,
when Street Performers have to start explaining their in-comes(!),
to the Tax-man(!). 😕

Anyways,..
enjoy the moment.
Life's good. 🙃
Gallagher

p.s.: Everybody hear about facecrook coming out with 'Libra'?
Everything,....free(!).
That'll be interesting.
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
127 Posts

Profile of Eldini
I am going to try soliciting Venmo or PayPal cash transactions. The Square credit card swiper is totally safe, though some people still feel uncomfortable. However, I think it is simply already old technology. Might as well go straight to the payment apps. At least here in the US.

Eldini
Phil Ainsworth
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Phil Ainsworth
I have an iZettle card reader, which I actually purchased for pitching as I noticed fewer and fewer people were carrying cash.

It connects to your phone via Bluetooth so you do need at least a 3G signal. It’s a one-off cost of £20 for the reader and then they just take1.7% as a handling charge, the funds get deposited 1-2 days after (usually the next working day).

I don’t get tips on it every single show, but I certainly get one or two card tips most shows. They always tip at least a fiver on the card as well, sometimes a tenner, so it’s definitely been worth having.

If you pitch or sell merchandise (CDs etc) then I’d say they were a necessity.

I know that iZettle are just in Europe but there must be equivalent services in the US and the rest of the world.

I think over the next 5 - 10 years it will become essential as cash dies off.

Oh, Aus, the chap in the video is a mate of mine. He’s a very nice chap!
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Phil Ainsworth another option that is similar to the izettle in the Paypal Card reader. They seem to 1.9% of the transaction as a handling charge. Other than having to buy the reader which is $99 in Australia there are no other costs.

Click here to view attached image.
Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
185 Posts

Profile of Endless West
I have business cards printed with my paypal and venmo addresss on them.
I also have the little QR barcode thing printed on them so they can just scan it and don’t have to type anything in.
I haven’t been busking the last couple of months, but I rarely handed any out anyway. I never mention cards; only cash.

You can get business cards printed so cheap at vista print, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to always have some on hand.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2019, Endless West wrote:
I have business cards printed with my paypal and venmo addresss on them.
I also have the little QR barcode thing printed on them so they can just scan it and don’t have to type anything in.
I haven’t been busking the last couple of months, but I rarely handed any out anyway. I never mention cards; only cash.

You can get business cards printed so cheap at vista print, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to always have some on hand.

Does Vista print set up the QR code? Or did you have to figure that out yourself?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2019, D. Yoder wrote:
I don't take card payments, but I do take PayPal and Xoom.

I should have written PayPal and Venmo.
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
I've Grown up around buskers and watching many different performers, and many years ago when credit cards could only be processed by a carbon copy of the card run through as hand slide machine, it was a common busker gag to take out the credit card Machine and slide the roller from side to side exclaiming," I also take credit cards" It was a gag because here is a performer on the street and credit cards were a "store thing", and of course no one would use credit cards to pay a busker. IT always got a great reaction form the audiences. But now with the digital age, apple pay, etc, etc. taking electronic payments is very normal. I've tried taking credit cards but as was said in the opening video people wouldn't want to swipe their cards to pay a busker as they automatically think its going to result in the theft of their credit card info. With the QR code scan that brings them to my info and paypal stuff they donate to my hat and get taken to my online info and social media etc. Its becoming more useful each year as society moves to cashless payments.
Bruce
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I had one person, a customer in the pizza parlor I work in front of, hold up a credit card, and I had to shake my head "no." Walmart sells a card reader for your phone, but I don't know the details.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
James James a real worker set up BuskTip.com I don't use it yet my self, on that front I don't take any card payment on the streets. Aprantly in some places its an issue. James is a good guy and this may well be the way to go.

"...James James was looking for a solution to an ongoing problem. Many audiences enjoyed his shows, but time and time again, spectators were telling him they didn't carry cash. Only plastic! No cash. Only credit or debit cards. Plastic!

Inspired what he saw others doing he set out to create Busktip.com. It worked for him right out of the gate, and in 2017 he adapted it and made it possible for others in the community to do the same. Now it's available to all, and is growing daily..."
https://www.busktip.com/
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Thanks for the mention Mario. Busktip.com is working for a few international buskers and is gaining traction. The spectators find it easy to use and we have a signup page busktip.com/register It is a custom set up for now and are working towards making it automatic.

If anyone has any questions I’m happy to help and give answers.

More information can be found at busktip.com/home
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I’m up in Boston and the street performers here mention PayPal and Venmo as a way to tip when they do the hat lines.
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
One thing may change with the advent of card reader/apps etal....is you'll have to claim every cent earned at tax time. Of course we all do that now anyways, right? LOL
If you make more than $20k, paypal is required to report the amount to the IRS. Recently Revenue Canada acquired all of Paypals business accounts.

Not sure how the other methods will work with regards to income tax. But I assume there will be a paper cyber trail.

Will this change busking at all ??????
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
I have found a lot of people tip via venmo over paypal. I have toyed with the idea of attaching a QR code to my venmo account on my gear. Recently, I have found the Blue card. All you have to do is tap it on a smartphone and it pulls up all of your information. Very easy if someone wants to pay electronically.
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
127 Posts

Profile of Eldini
I changed my Venmo account name to Eldini which was already on my sign.

I mention they can Venmo Eldini, point out the spelling on he sign, and it works. People get they need to add #. No need for the QR code or anything.

Eldini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Taking card payments as hating option. (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL