The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thimble magic. Some really simple handling. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Hi everyone, there’s so much great thimble manipulation and routines out there. This isn’t one of them! I’ve had a soft spot for the humble thimble ever since I was a teenager and I think I learnt some basic handling back then from Bill Tarr’s wonderful Now You See it book. But while I really enjoy watching it I’m not so drawn to manipulation myself. It doesn’t fit my style. So here is my attempt to make some use of the Vernet set of thimbles I purchased! It is meant to be a bit of filler in an act. I learnt the deck of cards construction from Dick Oslund’s great book Road Scholar. As always I’m open to any suggestions for improving my performance or routine. This is another one of my works in progress that I haven’t performed publicly yet. Many thanks!
You can see the routine here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JuHNL5nUDao
John
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
##@#$$%)(**!!!! Hi John! I saw my name in your post, so, I tried the link. My "infernal electrisch peckenclacker" said that something was interrupted. I'll try again later.

Thanks for mentioning my "great book"!!! Many members agree with you, as they are still selling in Australia, Europe (I just mailed two copies, one to England, and one to Wisconsin, America, Canada, etc.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jmagic
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of jmagic
You did a nice routine. Not too long and no funny moves. Good Job. joe
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Dick, Yes, I wanted to do a bit of a gag with some fake card flourishing and I remembered that you explained how to construct such a deck in your book! I think it took 5 minutes to construct! Thanks again for all your help and friendship!
Joe, Thanks so much!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You can "blame" the "solar powered" electric deck on the D.O.P.E. CLUB! Back in the '40s, Tommy Windsor "organized" the club. It was the "DECEPTIVE ORDER of PRESTIDIGITORIAL ENTERTAINERS"". Life time dues were a dollar, and you received a membership card, and an occasional newsletter with ideas furnished by members, for gags, tricks, ETC.

Every once in awhile, some one contributed a little "gem". I made the solar powered deck, and have used THE SAME DECK, FOR ABOUT 75 YEARS! (i got my dollar's worth!!!!!) At first, I could only do the cascade shuffle, but, as the deck got "broken in", I could do the arm spread, and turn over, the arm spread, throw up and catch, and a rough fan.

I learned how to do all of the fancy "shuffles" and flourishes from ERDNASE, but I kept the solar powered deck in the prop case, for the occasional "al fresco" gig. At 87, my hands can no longer do many of the standard flourishes, so I rely on the solar powered deck. Only an experienced performer can tell the difference! (I think!!!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Sweet and tight little routine. Good work there John!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I like it. Quite entertaining.
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Many thanks Harry and magicfish!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thimble magic. Some really simple handling. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL