The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Vernon, Houdini, & the tension (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Not sure where to put this, but since Vernon was a card guy, I figured someone here would know. I found this on a site that had a short bio of him, but it doesn't explain the reason for the line below. Does anyone know?

"...There was only one conjuror that he spoke of negatively, and that was Harry Houdini."
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
643 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I think it is explained in one of the Vernon Chronicles, but I don't know if there was any animosity. In fact, I think Vernon was one of Houdini's kids godfather, or vice versa.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Not to mention, I've read in other sources how Vernon bad mouthed virtually every magician who crossed his path. I have no idea what stories are true, though.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Harry and Bess Houdini never had children.

Vernon did not bad-mouth virtually every magician who crossed his path. Vernon crossed paths with 100's if not 1,000's of magicians in his lifetime.
Drive Carefully
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Check out the following Genii forum thread: Vernon on Houdini
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4856 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
There was a personality clash there. Vernon was not boastful whereas Houdini, The King of Cards, was self aggrandizing as part of his public personna. Houdini was a skilled sleight of hand performer but not among the best of his time. If Vernon felt comtemptuous of Houdini it was probably from their brief encounters when Vernon apparently determined that he was more skillful.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Quote:
On 2004-05-23 05:06, LeConte wrote:
Harry and Bess Houdini never had children.

Vernon did not bad-mouth virtually every magician who crossed his path. Vernon crossed paths with 100's if not 1,000's of magicians in his lifetime.

Ah! I knew that Harry and Bess never had kids! That totally slipped my mind.

Also, I was just trying to point out the inaccuracies of myths and legends. Sometimes, Vernon is prtrayed as the kind, generous grandfather who welcomed fellow magicicans with open arms. Other stories make him out to be a tyranical curmudgeon poking the newbies in the eyes just for sport. I just thought it was funny how his legend has grown to such varying degrees.

andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Although Houdini's name is in the dictionary and will be remembered as the greatest 'magician' that ever lived,in my opinion Dai Vernon Rules!
What I never understand is that a lot of people say that Dai bad-mouthed magicians.Why doesn't anyone just e-mail Ammar,Carney,Roth,Harris(and the likes) and ask them if he ever bad-mouthed any of them or others.These people should know because they all learned a lot from him.
Andre
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
643 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Bess Houdini was Vernon's son Ted's godmother. Vernon Chronicles Vol. 4 has some very good biographical information on Vernon. It is not in print, but you can usually get it for $60 or so on Ebay.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
To quote Paul Chosse from another thread:

"The Professor had an approach to magic that changed the way we think. Most newcomers have no idea just how much of Vernon is in everything they do. Vernon forever changed the face of Magic, and it is the better for it. He brought a simplicity and directness to effects that revolutionized the art... Like all men, Vernon was a flawed human being... He got mad, had opinions, regrets, etc., as we all do. Mostly though, Dai was a good man, kind, generous, brilliant, giving of himself and his knowledge if he thought you were a student."

For more on Vernon 'the man', try this and this thread.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Good call, Neo... Paul Chosse sums it up beautifully!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Vernon, Houdini, & the tension (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL