The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Question about Sick by Ponta (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Makaveli
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Makaveli
So I was thinking about buying this DVD, only reason being the coins that come with it...
Really hard to find Dollar sized coins around here so thought this would be a great way.

Any of you guys own the coins that come with Sick? Would like to hear some thoughts, maybe pictures of them, given that there aren't many on the web.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hiya Makaveli, welcome to the Café here. Smile

Sick is an epic DVD. At first, the DVD didn't come with coins but eventually they added them so that people could get right at the routines without having to acquire the coins if they didn't have them already. And basically, it's was a great DVD without the coins, so you can't lose having them included. Smile

The coins are replicas but are good for what you need them for as to the routines, for practice and or performance. It is a good enough buy as a package and the additional coins are quite convenient.

Again, welcome to the forum. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Makaveli
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Makaveli
Thank you for your quick reply MB, definitely gonna look more into it. I've been doing coin magic for quite some time now and I figured it's time to step it up to dollar sized coins, so I'm looking at all the options. Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Nice to be nimble at both size coins, as both have their place. I have been playing with mostly just dollar size coins for a while here recently and have been marveling at how my hands have stretched a bit to better adapt to their usage. Hands are amazing things, you just have to give them practice doing what you want them to to do and they better & better come to do it. 😁 Of course, some things are perhaps better done with half dollar size coins, but you can’t beat the larger coins for greater visibility & POP! as Ponta shows so effortlessly in his brilliant, “Sick” DVD, and believe it or not, he has small hands. 😁

While half dollar size coins are probably an ideal size used by most workers, it can be good practice to use both size coins in the same routine as I do here. It helps the hands to stay familiar with both sizes, so you can more easily go whichever way you want a bit more comfortably upon your command. 😉

Good continuing journey to you my friend. 😊
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Makaveli
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Makaveli
Never thought about using both at the same time. That routine was beautiful!
Also I just ordered Sick, so I guess I'll make a post about it when it arrives so other people have a better idea of the coins.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thank you...Happy that you liked my ReViSiTeD! effect. Smile

It was a real evolution from some fertile ground for me by way of my old MB Transpo trick from my Short Pockets download years ago now. Smile Often times, it's seeds from the beginning that lead you some interesting ways down the journey of it all. At first I did this trick with two half dollar size coins, a Kennedy half and an English penny. It worked well enough, but the contrast in size using a dollar size Chinese coin gave the effect much more texture and made it more interesting to watch. Size became a factor in the perception, along with the fact that the hole in the coin was given more aspect and purpose in the routine. I actually do a variation of that effect more so than anything else nowadays, the MB Transpo PLUS. Smile It is just fun to do with an added wicked hard right turn to it at the end...Did it again today for my Dentist & his Hygienist and they just couldn't believe it, right up close. Smile I can do a lot of things, but I've come to see that less is more, and this little coin trick is always way more than just enough and maybe a little less than all I need. Smile

Have fun with "Sick," lots to learn there and to appreciate. Of all the coin magic out there nowadays, there was nothing quite like it out there at the time. It changed coin magic going forward, and actually all the routines taught were classic ones, just done with an evolved approach, added creativity and a brave new flair. And not from where & who you might expect great coin magic to come from, which showed that effective coin magic could come from anywhere...just as God planned all things to come from all of us, the big, small & all of us. I think that was what I liked most about it all, that's what makes it all so magical. Smile

Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Wow, I hadn't seen Sick until recently. Man, that is some high level stuff. Watching the explanations is perhaps just as impressive as the effects.

Definitely not ready for most of this stuff yet!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Makaveli
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Makaveli
I've been watching a lot of your stuff MB, you really are a great coin worker. I hope that one day I'll be able to do stuff as smoothly as you do Smile.

As for Sick, I can't wait for it to arrive. Mostly because of the coins because I got myself Nowhere from Tri Ryuzaki too and these coins will be perfect for it.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks for the kind words here, Mak.😊 And you’ll get there for sure, you’re already very well on your way as I see it. 😉

Enjoy your new coins and all the new magic they will help bring you. 😁

DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
788 Posts

Profile of DaveM
As MB stated above,"Sick" was a new chapter in coin magic, and probably sent many coin workers back to the woodshed in order to reevaluate their own techniques...
atroc
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
18 Posts

Profile of atroc
I think the thing that struck me the most about Sick was that while there were fairly few "new" moves it contained the smoothest handling for everything I've ever seen. As a newbie to magic it really struck a chord for me as to what the moves can look like. I can't wait for the new DVD that is supposed to be coming out.
Makaveli
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Makaveli
I just got Sick this morning in the mail and the coins look and feel amazing. I'm super satisfied. Here are some pictures (Ike dollar for comparison).

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yep, that’s about what they look like...Nice pics! I told you, not bad, right? 😁👍🏽

People have spent many hundreds, even thousands of dollars for real silver coins and sets to basically do the same things. But I tell’ya, these replica coins have allowed many more interested people to more inexpensively use such coins as to these wonderful routines. I thought they were a great idea and good enough alternative years ago and advocated for their more general usage here. 😉 If one day you step up in class for the real coins, they’ll be their waiting for you. 😉 But in the meantime you don’t have to sit it out waiting to be able to afford them to use them. And just think, it wasn’t always this way, seemIngly back when we weren’t thinking all that well. 😀 Now, craftsman even make quality gaffs with replicas at greatly reduced cost from the real thing. Now people better realize that it don’t really matter all that much, and never did really but we know better now. To each his own but it’s good to have options that are available to all. 😊

Enjoy them, and now get to the real work with them as to Ponta’s, Sick. 😁

Makaveli
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Makaveli
You make many good points. but honestly I can't imagine myself working with real Morgans right now. I think I'd cry if I dropped them on a hard surface. Smile I think these are going to serve me for a long time, I'm really astonished by the quality. I was expecting something cheap with low detail but these look very nice in my opinion, also so far they handle pretty well. Definitely money well spent. Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Glad, you're so happy with them. Smile

And as to dropping coins, well I guess we've all done it, and yes, it hurts when you drop one of those expensive Morgans, but then again with good practice, real Morgan or replica you don't drop the coins much. I hardly drop coins at all any more, but I can remember when I did all the time. You come to get a real feel for them and your drops minimize. But you're right, every now & again one could get away from you, and a lot of folks are afraid of damaging their good sets, and thus don't use them all that much. Hence a great reason for replicas. Smile

No replicas here, but no drops either...Just practice, practice, practice. Smile

Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Man so good!
Makaveli
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Makaveli
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
Glad, you're so happy with them. Smile

And as to dropping coins, well I guess we've all done it, and yes, it hurts when you drop one of those expensive Morgans, but then again with good practice, real Morgan or replica you don't drop the coins much. I hardly drop coins at all any more, but I can remember when I did all the time. You come to get a real feel for them and your drops minimize. But you're right, every now & again one could get away from you, and a lot of folks are afraid of damaging their good sets, and thus don't use them all that much. Hence a great reason for replicas. Smile

No replicas here, but no drops either...Just practice, practice, practice. Smile

Ah yes Sylvester, I love watching that guy, love his humor Smile The Sylvester Pitch is a real coin dropper technique haha Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes, he is marvelous to watch and this routine is just about one of the very best coin routines I've ever seen, certainly the most dynamic. Mickey Silver's work is also up there, for me. Smile

But I wonder, the people that always mention the old saw about, "Juggling not being magic," I wonder do you see juggling here or magic?

Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3510 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2019, Mb217 wrote:

That was very pretty to watch. Thanks for sharing that
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks Wravyn.😁👍🏽

Hey Mak, just checking back on you here...how are the coins working out for you...Still enjoying them and that Sick DVD? 😊

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Question about Sick by Ponta (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL