The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » PSYCHIC (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1945 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
When you see or hear the word "PSYCHIC", what thoughts and or feelings does this evoke?

For me, there is an initial excitement, a flurry of images and feelings that evoke a sense of positive anticipation, curiosity and hope for the future, which quickly fades... replaced by feelings of doubt, skepticism, distrust, fear of being scammed all comes to mind.

All of this cycles through my mind rather quickly, unconsciously, in a matter of moments. I'm only conscious of it when I stop and analyze my response.

How about you?
STARE, AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Loyal user
Randolph NJ
250 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Much the same here. My first thought tends to be of someone who can know the unknowable, followed quickly by thoughts of frauds and scammers.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I'm mildly dyslexic, so sometimes, and somewhat amusingly - I misread it as PAYCHECK!

but when I hear it, depending on my mood - I think of an Alexander type turban wearing all-seeing, all-knowing theatrical mind reader...then the other time I see a tired, weird little old man or woman who is happily selling soup made from dead mens' bones...
I've asked to be banned
docdazzal
View Profile
Veteran user
San Tan Valley, AZ
343 Posts

Profile of docdazzal
I really like the word "psychic"...and I love what the word represents. When I see or hear the word "psychic" what comes to mind are images of the vintage psychics and fortune tellers from the 30's, 40's and 50's. Images of the carnival fortune tellers...I realize the general public may have a much different perspective, and it's that perspective I like to think that I can help to change, even on a small scale.

I'm speaking of course, the perspective of charlatan, fraud, and con artist...and I do believe that with the caliber of mentalists and readers that are working these days...those clients that experience a good mentalist and / or reader (and we each have to define "good" individually), then hopefully there will be many more positive experiences by the public...and then when they see or hear the psychic they'll have much more positive experiences to reflect on.

It's a dream I have...
Dr. Dan
Psychic & Paranormal Entertainment
www.drdanandco.com
Arthur T
View Profile
Regular user
Wales,UK
140 Posts

Profile of Arthur T
Thanks to Derren brown I tend to think of balding scousers https://youtu.be/duxQA9TcDcA
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12231 Posts

Profile of John C
I want to go and get my palm read. I don't. But I want to.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
122 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
I think of more new age style reader, like chakras and stuff.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9024 Posts

Profile of funsway
For me the meaning and reaction is conditional to usage:

If someone says, "Gee, you must be psychic," I would take it as a compliment depending on tone. Meaning: empathic, insightful, having foresight, etc.

but ..

Someone asking, "Have you ever been to a psychic?" or "You had better go to a psychic," I would take as presumptive or insulting.

Experience directs that anyone calling themselves a "Psychic" probably isn't,
while folks just doing incredible things about controlling future potentials without seeking credit might be.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2588 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Generally I think of the people I've met that have claimed to be psychic, followed shortly by various things I've seen/read about people claiming to be psychic.

And that scene from the beginning of Ghost Busters.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Josepher
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
89 Posts

Profile of Josepher
My first thought is a New Age Scammer. Sorry... I wish it didn't.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I think there's an interesting distinction between people who are described by others as psychic and people that describe *themselves* as psychic.

While I'm definitely open and even optimistic about the possibility some type of real phenomenon behind psi, I can't think of anyone I've met or known about that described themselves as psychic that I didn't have some judgement and reservations about.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1945 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. Lots of interesting perspectives which I appreciate.
STARE, AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
And there's a difference between a psychic and what we often see on TV, of a psychic-medium...

Sorry, a paycheck-medium
I've asked to be banned
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4464 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I've met people who have psychic abilities, and then I've met people who called themselves a "psychic."
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2497 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2019, Josepher wrote:
My first thought is a New Age Scammer. Sorry... I wish it didn't.

Agreed on all points. Even the wish I didn't think that way.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9024 Posts

Profile of funsway
I am going to share a story. I posted part of it years ago with an offer to share the rest by personal email.
The responses revealed that many are unwilling to share their true thoughts on the Café'.

Enjoy ...

MAN HEART

Six couples for a dinner party is more challenge than I would have planned, but Keith and Anne did all of the work and I had only to play host. With some of our gourmet get-togethers this responsibility resembled being a referee, but tonight’s grouping of three tables of four seemed well balanced. True, James at table “B” would have preferred to be across from Cindy at Table “C,” but guests were invited as couples and marital bliss assumed. So much for my skill as a Sooth-Sayer!
Things changed with desert. Perhaps the culprit was Dorine’s homemade plum brandy, though the “new moon” gets my vote. None the less, soon all three tables were discussing their favorite psychic adventure, hero or regret. “Din” is part of dinner, I suppose, but my duty was clear. I quickly downed the brandy to free up my glass and struck it with a spoon. Clinggggggg! Once again – cliiiinggggg! I had the floor but was standing on my chair. “We have found a subject of common interest in which every person has something to offer and much to learn. Instead of argument I suggest that each person share a story of a personal paranormal or psychic experience for all to hear. No names must be mentioned nor discussion allowed. Bare your soul in safety.” There were a few murmurs but mostly nods, and only one hand went up. Matej Volnic waited until all eyes turned his way in silence.

“I would speak last,” he directed. No one argued! His bearing spoke of ancient royalty, though few present even knew where Slovenia is. His manner commanded respect, but his charming accent didn’t hurt. What mattered, however, was that he was a magician – a conjuror and illusionist. My first reaction was, “He deals in tricks and deception. He can hardly believe in real magic.” Then I realized how foolish that was. Any person who pretends to do magic must have some knowledge of what it is he pretends at. I showed my agreement by announcing,

“I’ll go first.” As my brandy glass had been mysteriously refilled I began with a toast. “To open minds and hearts and friendship.” Everyone cheered. It had begun.

I give full credit to my companions for their attention and courtesy as each of the eleven tales unfolded, though I was certain each was secretly pondering the magician’s request. “Isn’t Slovenia close to Transylvania,” I mused and sensed similar ponderings from my neighbors. Yet, the gasps and tears were real with many stories far better than mine, and as mine was true I had no reason not to believe the others. I confirmed a long standing suspicion of mine – that each person has some personal experience with “unexplainable things” that fall into the shadows of magic or paranormal or “more than chance.” That is why folks appreciate seeing Matej on stage, I guess – he awakens the magic within in a harmless way. I’m not so sure about psychics and mentalists and fortune-tellers, though. What is it that they awaken?

I won’t draw out this story with a recanting of these personal tales for they are no better nor stranger that what you might tell. I’ll bet that even those famous mentalists have a personal experience they can’t explain – or perhaps that is what drew them to the stage. Why a magician? Why a mentalist? Why not just a person with a secret dream or fear? Or a group of friends tuned to a higher pitch of focused attention on things other than … Matej stood with his hands in his pockets and spare shoulders against the door frame. We all knew he wasn’t about to do some magic tricks. He was just a man with a story.

My homeland is ancient as a crossroads of cultures, stories and myths. For those here this evening an old story might mean ones of Salem Witches – myths imply fractious Greek gods, or even Bible stories, and magic a fumbling with cups and balls and pretty scarves. No! I speak of stories shared around campfires unchanged for ten thousand years. Imagine travelers in a Caravanserai for an evening’s rest, perhaps hundreds who were enemies by day but slept safely side by side at night. That is magic! Imagine that each spoke a different language and had a different set of beliefs about what was right and wrong and important in life, yet they could barter and trade with one another, find wives and tell stories. Understanding and communication was not limited to words or dogma or political fictions. That too was magic!

Some anthropologist say there was a common, natural language now forgotten – that people were, well – telepathic by today’s standards. Also accept that this language was not just of men, but of animals, trees and the earth itself. You may laugh inside at such silliness; but I would ask you all to consider that everything each of you has related about a paranormal experience is nothing but a memory of what used to be normal, natural and controlled! Why is it that a tree can unwind human DNA or that a bee can find a flower that blooms only once in fifty years, but you and I cannot even agree on how to raise a child and are lost a block from home? Where is the magic? What is this “normal” from which we aspire to surpass? What is the value of the Prometheus myth if you cannot build a fire without artificial aids or protect your home from arson?

In my youth I explored some of these myths – trying to find which bore truth and which only fantasy, but only gained the wisdom in accepting that all are true, and that one need only look inside to find what is normal and what is not. You have forgotten to remember! Remember. I will take you back to something you already know – a demonstration of Kalbadam, the ManHeart. You will not find it by Google Search, so please pay close attention and listen with your soul.

Yes, the Kalbadam is an ancient concept of the soul – the relationship between man’s human and spiritual natures. It was used by the Alani – the Shining Ones – the first to use horses in battle – the ones that forced a treaty with the Roman Empire that endured more than 1400 years. It was adopted by the Scythians and worn into battle by female warriors that gave birth to Amazon legend. “Adam” you ask – like in Genesis – the first man? No! “adam” simply means “human” in a language that predates Jewish history by four thousand years – one in which a person could not ask another “do you believe in God?” for that would be as silly as asking “do you know where your backbone is?” I do not speak of religion for man had no need of that when his relationship with spirit was “first nature” not “second” nor by the direction of others. There was no “supernatural.” There was just things known and things yet to be known, and what we now call magic but an opportunity to learn. Man with limitation, and spirit with no limitations, depicted by a simple shape you can form with your hands – the image of a man’s face trapped within a heart design, a man’s dreams limited by his human frailty – the ManHeart – Kalbadam.

Each of you, reach out with your hands before you, fingers spread and palms pressed outwards as if pushing against an invisible wall. Now join your thumb nails together and slowly rotate your hands so that the tips of your index fingers touch. You have now formed a heart-shaped window though which you can view the world. Look at me – look at the person next to you. Really see that person for the first time with the silly world excluded. Realize that what he or she sees of you is only a face – a face smiling back though that same window. Hold that heart-shape firm and imagine placing your joined hand over the head of a child. Think of the healers who have done so though out time. Think of the energy you now hold. Think of your soul!

Now, fold your fingers underneath this heart-shape so that your middle and ring fingers touch to form a mouth, and the tips of your little fingers become eyes. Within the control of your own hands you have a simple face contained within the shape of a heart. Simple – and if another could see you with hands joined in this manner and head bent in contemplation they might think you were praying. What could be more natural? What more profound? Now relax, shake your hands and arms – laugh!

Now, please stand silently and look at me. Here is the Kalbadam. Those of you familiar with Tai Chi or Reiki will also recognize the sphere of energy that is contained within my grasp. The rest of you know of this by instinct and tribal memory. During the formation of your own ManHeart each of you will also have had an internal “aw-ha” moment, and with it a flash of a problem or condition dear to your heart. No – don’t look away in embarrassment or fear. I am not reading your mind – only sensing the emanations of your soul. Call it an empathic bond if you need a label. This problem is one that you consider impossible to solve – or resolve. Perhaps it is an opportunity you have been afraid to grasp. Possibly it is a resentment you refuse to let go. All I know that it is a challenge to both mind and spirit. Yet, you also know that the barriers to solving this problem are only of the mind – obstacles placed there by training and conditioning. To accomplish things considered impossible is one definition of magic. For me to know of it is to be psychic. For me to take the obstacle away is to be a wizard, seer or oracle – a paranormal event. But this will be so.

I direct that each of you hold that impossible challenge in the forefront of your mind. I am going to form a Kalbadam down low near the center of my body strength. I will then draw that energy up though birth and breath and heart but ignore directions of my mind. I will then walk over to one of you and gift that energy away. That gift will go to the one of you who needs it the most – the one most willing to accept this touch of my soul. This may be so because some of you are already removing those barriers yourself – minimizing the fears and anxieties – changing believing into knowing what is best for you. Observe and share the awesome magic of the Kalbadam!

With that I watched this magician form his hands in that special way and slowly trace the path he had foretold. I yearned that I would be chosen as I was faced with a grief never put to rest, suppressed actually. What had he done to me? But he slowly turned and walked past, then stopped and turned again to suddenly place his cupped hands over Anne’s heart and I swear I saw a flickering of sparks. She collapsed back into her chair but waved help away.

“How did you know,” she asked. “Nobody knows!” Then, after a couple of sobs, Anne stood up and said simply, “Thank you,” and formed her hands slowly together. I felt very light and joyful – suddenly realizing that I also had been released from fear. I would have thanked Matej for his gift but he had already walked away into the night – a night without shadows. Keith was playing the piano and the others were chatting about children and school and many happy things. It was just a story after all.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » PSYCHIC (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL