The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Socks by Michel Huot (108 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
The Himber Wallet is a great idea. I cannot relate to a timing force because of the lack of control you have with the outcome. Too risky for me!

Please allow me to add that IMHO, Socks is certainly one of the best releases this year (if not even longer) for a number of reasons. Love it!

That will be my go to effect for the upcoming holiday season. Seems perfect for this time of year as you travel from place to place. Socks are on and wallet in your pocket. Wherever you are, you can perform this novel impromptu effect.
bretti_bln
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of bretti_bln
Your set contains two pair of the forcing cards. If you don‘t show the matching socks at the end you can use the second pair of forcing cards as a backup: First try: timing force, second try: himber wallet.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2019, Magic Mark wrote:
I've got Socks on order through Hocus-Pocus (last 35% off sale) and was expecting to receive it by now. The availability date on Vanishing Magic's site is now Sept 20. I think it's been pushed back a couple of times since I ordered.

Is Vanishing Magic redoing the cards or socks because of the slight mismatch? Is that what is causing the delay?

Mark

Well, HP wants the $$$ now, it's no longer discountable.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Can anybody confirm that the cards were reprinted and now perfectly match the socks
Cheers
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Mine did
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

So, if you watch the original demo, what has changed...the socks or the cards?
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1526 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I just rewatched the original demo that is linked in the very first message of this thread. My cards and socks are exactly like the ones I see in the demo. My Socks package arrived in early October (after a delay period when it was unavailable).

I don't understand the "gripe" that some people seem to have about the cards not matching the socks. Yes, the socks are longer (taller) than the socks pictured on the cards. Big deal. I'm GLAD the socks are over-the-calf in length because they don't slip down that way.

Are the socks a 100% exact match to the images on the cards? No. But it's easily close enough that it's not a big deal. It's not even a small deal. If you have spectators that complain the card images and socks aren't an exact match, either you need to work on your presentation or your need to stop performing for the local chapter of OCD anonymous. Smile

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Thanks for your response Magic Mark. I think you have cleared up the issue and I like your final OCD comment.

I still say that I would nominate it for release of the year! It is a delightful presentation and chock full of effervescence.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
IMHO, a fun trick with a kicker ending, but for true card workers, there are far stronger effects.
Why not a switching envelope marked washing machine?
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 27, 2019, JSBLOOM wrote:
IMHO, a fun trick with a kicker ending, but for true card workers, there are far stronger effects.
Why not a switching envelope marked washing machine?

I do not consider it to be suitable for serious card workers but perfect for those who like novel, colorful, wild and wacky presentations.

Your washing machine marked envelope sounds like a great possibility to build into this effect. A good way to increase the length of the presentation.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Hi,
It could be good enough depending upon the set you do.
Especially the the theme and the reveal....
Put the SOCKS into the laundry machine after you sort them into pairs.
Some one,mentioned before names on blank cards is a card trick, but why not write the names on name plates?
In this effect, maybe having cards cut out in a J shape for example would help
IDKN
What I do know is everyone is different and put their own spin on it.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2019, bretti_bln wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2019, alondon wrote:
I am not thrilled with the timing force and really want something more bullet proof.
Any suggestions would be much apprciated

Himber Wallet or any other method to change the two selected cards.

If you used a himber wouldn’t that spoil the kicker ending
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2707 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Yes, it would. And using a switching envelope that is marked "washing machine" reduces it to a predictable and transparent kiddy trick, IMO. The structure is superb. Don't mess with it. Change the force, not the structure.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
See my very good friend and partner in crime, Luca Volpe, performing a preferred trimmed down version of 'Socks' on his regular spot on Italian tv.

https://vimeo.com/376179092?fbclid=IwAR3......rSgflGTY

Paul McCaig.
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

I must agree that it would lessen the power of the routine/effect if the matching socks climax is lost. So...I am determined to leave well enough alone and work to successfully master the effect as it is intended to play out.

Thanks for the worthwhile input!
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1526 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I've found that having the necessary two sock cards in the 8th position in the packets is the appropriate spot for my rhythm of performing the effect. The recommended 7th spot is just one card too early (for me).

Since going with the 8th spot, I've only had a single person not stop me at the right time and that person was a fellow magician.

It's also my experience that magician's spouses are the PERFECT candidates for this effect. They are so tired of seeing their spouse perform magic tricks that they say stop exactly one card after I stop talking. They want it to be over with as soon as possible. Smile

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
The Unmasked Magician,
FACT...many mentalist use envelopes
And again.....this trick is not for everyone especially with all that is out there.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2707 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2019, JSBLOOM wrote:
The Unmasked Magician,
FACT...many mentalist use envelopes

Then it’s a great idea. Maybe use two envelopes, to make it even more mentalism?
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Hi,
It is just an idea just like I do not like it when people call some thing a playing card
For example, we will mix the cards vs we will mix the movies ( cards with movies on them)
Well, back on your two envelope idea...technically, you can now give them a choice, right?
what if you did left and right.
And there are some good two sided envelopes available.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Caigy,
Thank you for sharing....
Some nice ideas for sure
People will remember they removed socks twice and called stop twice and one person mixed up the socks too
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Socks by Michel Huot (108 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL