The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Chernobyl (miniseries) must watch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7501 Posts

Profile of pegasus
This is a must watch. I hope you can view it in the US. Broke the record on IMDb at 9.5

I had recently been posted to W Berlin at the time where radiation rose way above normal levels. A disaster of epic proportions that very nearly ended in catastrophe.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7366338/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26974 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It is available. It was shown on HBO last month.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/j......v-remake
...to all the coins I've dropped here
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7501 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Can’t wait to see Russia’s version. Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4724 Posts

Profile of landmark
I once interviewed the Australian nuclear activist Helen Caldicott about the relationship of nuclear power plants to nuclear weapons. Maybe something to recall as August 6 and 9th come up.

https://jackshalom.net/2017/12/01/sleepw......ldicott/
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3975 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
It is a very well done series. There are a number of 'what were they thinking???' moments where the series departs from reality (in story, and fact re: radiation), but most tv series and movies do similar.

Definitely an interesting watch.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7501 Posts

Profile of pegasus
It’s incredible that the report received at the Kremlin was 3.6 Roentgens when in fact the true reading was 20,000.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4724 Posts

Profile of landmark
Governments lie. All of them. All the time. Nothing should be taken on face value without corroboration.

Here in the US we were told by the head of the EPA in 2001 that the air around the former World Trade Center was safe to breathe.
Two decades later, we're paying out millions in lawsuit dollars for those harmed breathing the poison air.

It's like the story of the scorpion that Pop Haydn likes to reference. They can't help themselves. It's their nature.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2019, landmark wrote:
Governments lie. All of them. All the time. Nothing should be taken on face value without corroboration.

Here in the US we were told by the head of the EPA in 2001 that the air around the former World Trade Center was safe to breathe.
Two decades later, we're paying out millions in lawsuit dollars for those harmed breathing the poison air.

It's like the story of the scorpion that Pop Haydn likes to reference. They can't help themselves. It's their nature.

It's also necessary.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4724 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks, but I'll still insist on cutting the cards.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26974 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Russia may have a different nuclear story to explain that's more timely than the Ukraine reactor failure.
I hope they make a version of "Yellow Blue Tibia". Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7501 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2019, landmark wrote:

Whilst I do not disagree with your observation it was actually a cover up before it reached the government. There’s a very interesting interview with Gorbachev in which he confirms this. A ruptured Hydrogen tank was the apparent reason for the explosion. Lol.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Chernobyl (miniseries) must watch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL