The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Mentalism Podcast - The Mystery Arts Podcast (161 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1060 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Thanks for your enghusiasm and dedication, Matt. Believe me, I can appreciate how much work this is. I think you are really good at it. I also think you have a combination of qualities and character traits that are quite unique and that make this work so well.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This also applies to mentalists.)
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3335 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2019, 252life wrote:
I’m happy to listen to whatever you put out. The longer the better. Feed the addicts Smile

Okay good to know. I guess I like long podcasts too. Within reason of course (Anyone listen to Hardcore History? lol)

Quote:
On Aug 24, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Thanks for your enghusiasm and dedication, Matt. Believe me, I can appreciate how much work this is. I think you are really good at it. I also think you have a combination of qualities and character traits that are quite unique and that make this work so well.

Well thanks! I really appreciate the good vibes. I'm lucky that I work mostly from home so I can work on this in my 'spare' time.
Having these conversations has been enlightening and definitely thought provoking and it's definitely going to help me grow as a performer and human. And also, having to listen to myself talk (during the editing process) is making me think about being more intentional and clear with my words.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1060 Posts

Smile I know that feeling... Nothing more confronting than listening to yourself. "Hey, that sounds really different from what it sounded like in my head at that moment Smile
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This also applies to mentalists.)
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3335 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Okay episode 5 is up!
This week I talk to Sean Waters. An absolutely great guy and brilliant creator. We talk about all kinds of stuff, his history, creative process, logical disconnects and layering, ethics and the topic of disclaimers, and lots more. Really good stuff.

The review is 'Pure' by Adrian Fowell. Some new beats and electronic music as well. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/mysteryartspodcast/05-sean-waters
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
663 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Matt,

Thanks so much for having me (and for the kind regards). It was a lot of fun talking with you about one of my favorite subjects. You are a fantastic host and a great guy yourself.
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1060 Posts

I’m looking forward to my next long drive to a gig, listening to you two!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3335 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2019, Waters. wrote:
Matt,

Thanks so much for having me (and for the kind regards). It was a lot of fun talking with you about one of my favorite subjects. You are a fantastic host and a great guy yourself.

I definitely learned something! Your thoughts on creativity and layering were golden. I went back and looked up your match effect btw. Excellent solution! Made me smile...

Also, the harmonica interruption was edited out of the main interview only because of time constraints, but it's at the end after the outro.

Thanks again!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Aaron Vlack
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Aaron Vlack
Thanks Matt for the fun episodes!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3335 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Thanks for listening!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17480 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Listening now!!!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Very much enjoying listening to these. For me, personally, they are now getting a bit too long. I thought the 45 minutes of the early episode was about right. Leave them wanting more, and all that.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3335 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Noted, thanks Martin. Still working out that aspect.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Regular user
Randolph NJ
174 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Agree with Martin, although don't get me wrong, I still listened to the whole thing! Good conversation about whether mentalism should be presented as "the real thing" or just illusion, or somewhere in between, letting the audience come to their own conclusion (or not).
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3335 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I appreciate the feedback, definitely helpful.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Rik Gazelle
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
119 Posts

Profile of Rik Gazelle
I have just finished listening to the Iain Dunford podcast and it is another fascinating talk. Even the unfortunate sound issues did not detract.

I will add my voice to those commenting on the increased length of the podcast. At 30 minutes it falls into the "I have a spare moment, I will just give that a listen while I have a cup of tea and a biscuit (cookie)" category. Any longer and I have to give it more consideration. At an hour or more I really have to start start planning when I am going to listen to it. With so many other distractions in my daily life that is not always easy.

I have really enjoyed all the podcasts I have heard so far and I am looking to forward to listening to the Sean Waters episode (I have his "Not Just A River In Deutschland" book). You have a pleasant and charmingly relaxed style with these podcasts so do please continue them.
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
I'll put up a message for the other side of the argument, I listen to a lot of podcasts, tech/apple, politics, interview, magic etc. and quite a lot of them run to the 90mins to 2hr mark, I really don't mind longer form and appreciate that it can allow a deeper conversation than a quick 30 minute chat might do.

I listen to my podcasts using the Castro app on my iPhone (Overcast is another good app) and listen to them on an increased speed, I have gotten used to listening now at 1.5 or sometimes even 1.7 times the normal speed which lets me get through them at a quick pace but doesn't really detract, once you get used to it you can still very much take it all in and you get the longer form.

Either way I know what work goes into recording, editing and posting stuff like this so thank you Matt for all your work just thought I would put in a vote for the other side!
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3335 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Thanks for the feedback guys. I personally like longer episodes with podcasts I subscribe to, as my day is structured in a way that I have plenty of time to listen as I'm doing other things. But I do understand that some prefer shorter.

I realize that it seems like they've been getting longer every week, but that's not intentional. The next one will probably be around an hour.

My current target is to keep them around 50-60 minutes, but there may well be times they are longer or shorter.

For a weekly podcast, a one hour show is considered fairly standard, especially when there is an interview. And as Rich says, there are quite a few that regularly run over 90 minutes.

Thanks for listening!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1060 Posts

Matt, next week I have to drive from Amsterdam to Breda for a gig. Google Maps says that will take me 67 minutes. Please make sure the podcast will last 69 minutes (I need time to park my car). Thanks in advance.
Woolfie
View Profile
New user
Uk
69 Posts

Profile of Woolfie
I subscribed and started listening last night. Excellent work so far. I’ll add my voice to those championing longer episodes too. Obviously the longer format allows you to go into more detail but, in my experience of listening to an awful lot of podcasts, it also allows time for the conversation to steer into areas that 30mins just won’t accommodate. If I can’t fit an entire episode in on one listen, I just pause it and continue it when I have more spare time. It doesn’t diminish the conversation at all for me. Anyway, keep up the good work. I know these things take a lot more effort to put together than a lot of people realise and you have my appreciation for that. Thank you.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3335 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Thanks Woolfie!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Mentalism Podcast - The Mystery Arts Podcast (161 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL