The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What reason? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4724 Posts

Profile of landmark
Why would a pilot drink before takeoff? Any insight into that?
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1805 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I haven't been on a plane flight in quite a while, but in years past when I flew frequently, it was a common occurrence. Don't know why anyone would think it was OK.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26974 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19731 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
They don't think of it as dangerous. They do it SO many times without problems and they don't think of the job as hazardous.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Dutch courage

strength or confidence gained from drinking alcohol.

Drinking alcohol takes one away from reality and so into a world of illusion: distortions of the truth can be created by distance. The reality of flying is that it is dangerous.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
194 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2019, landmark wrote:

Because you need to use both hands during the takeoff. Ba-dum dum.

Ron Smile
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Actually, the FAA has VERY strong regulations regarding drinking and flying. Commercial pilots are supposed to be something like 48 hours away from the last drink they had. I can't speak for private pilots, but I think it is an amazingly stupid thing to do. Most pilots who do drink, probably drink socially, and often enough that they don't give it a second thought. As long as nothing goes wrong, they are probably correct and in the clear. Let a small mishap occur and the clear thinking of the pilot can be the difference between life and death. Not just his own. Where did the plane come down? and on who and on what?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
The limit for pilots in the UK is 20mg of alcohol for every 100ml of blood.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:

Stupidity.

It covers a multitude of sins.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 4,491+ posts, only credited with
126 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
What makes it even more frightening in the latest instance involving United is that both pilots conducting that flight not only broke the pre-flight time limit for abstinence but also exceeded the legally allowed amount of alcohol.

What's next, a designated pilot?
John

New Hampshire
"A poor workman always blames his tools"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
If stupidity is the lake of reason, it is a mystery how stupidity can be the reason.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6090 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:

Normalization of deviance.

https://youtu.be/CdTjEoqT6Mc
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2076 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
My grandfather was a test pilot for 38 years with the FAA. He went on flights testing new equipment like Collision Avoidance systems, lightening strikes and many other dangerous
testing. After flights like these, they would land, turn in results and it was dinner and drink time AFTER flying. With the FAA, there was no warning if you showed up intoxicated
you were suspended, then fired and tried. This type of behavior was a Zero tolerance with the FAA and was criminal. I think it should be the same way today with in the industry
outside the FAA. But that is just my 2 cents.

-Frederick
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
The aviator Howard Hughes did not drink alcohol but I do not know if his Mormons could fly.

Tommy
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hmmm..
well,
Air-travel, still is,
..and has ALWAYS been,
the safest form of transportation.

From the perspective, of 'the masses':
Air Pilots are the "most trusted",
amongst 'Professionals'.

We shouldn't let a grain of salt ruin the stack of pan cakes.
gallagher
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 4,491+ posts, only credited with
126 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
I disagree that air travel has ALWAYS been the safest form of transportation. During the years when plane crashes were not uncommon (not that long ago), the measure never used to demonstrate the safety of air travel was the amount of time spent in that mode of transportation versus time spent using other types such as automobiles, ships, trains etc. which would give the statistics a different perspective. I also don't believe pilots are any longer among the "most trusted" among professionals. The complexity of the aircraft, the automation, and the safety systems in place has diminished both their roles, qualifications and salary resulting in not always attracting the best and the brightest.
John

New Hampshire
"A poor workman always blames his tools"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4724 Posts

Profile of landmark
It's a clear case where government de-regulation has been a failure. Not saying that de-regulation is always bad, but in this case, definitely.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What reason? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL