The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gimmicks vs sleight of hand (coins) (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8439 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Lots of interesting views here. Smile

Perhaps more so than not...The guy with good SOH is probably better than the guy with just gimmicks, but the guy that's good at both of them is probably the better of the two, or something like that. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4753 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea That is What I have been saying For Years ! And knowing WHEN To do each And WHEN To use A combo of Both of Them ! Takes Time And thought ! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
RCarruth
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
201 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
I've used gaffed coins for years.. but almost never use gaffed cards. Sometimes we forget we're performing for the public, and not other magicians. The public doesn't know and the public doesn't realize the difference, unless they're intimately familiar with gaffs. Yes, there's a certain pleasure with performing solely with SOH, but the audience doesn't appreciate the difference. It's a self-satisfaction thing...
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2505 Posts

Profile of critter
Minimal gaffs mean less stuff to break the lines of my suit. Well used gaffs mean fewer suspicious moves.
An old camping maxim may apply: "The more you know, the less you carry." I would add "but the stuff you do carry is all useful and you know what to do with it."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
RCarruth
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
201 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
Agreed.. Keeping up with gaffs can be a challenge.. that's why I avoid card gaffs. It seems every effect requires a different gaff and a different deck. Coins I think are the beneficiary of gaffs -in general-... but that's solely my opinion and based on my skill level with coins.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8439 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Critter, that's another real good line..."The more you know, the less you carry." Ain't that the about the truth in just about anything. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
RCarruth
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
201 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
Reminds me of flying.. the first time, a big bag and a carry-on, second time, small bag and a carry-on, third time, a back pack. Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8511 Posts

Profile of funsway
Learning to use found object means even less to carry. A mastery of about six technics and various sleights can allow for hundreds of effects with
candy, stones, nuts, etc. But, above all else, the performer must establish an expectation/desire for magic to occur.

The argument between gimmicks and SOH is like debating brands of mustard for the ham.

Why are your guests there? What do they expect? They entrusted you with preparing the meal. Savor the experience and they will also.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gimmicks vs sleight of hand (coins) (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL