The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Fashion (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
120 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
A little tip for magicians. Brent Braun in an interview, said that he follows male models to figure out how to dress, maybe more people should do this...
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
It's also wise to just ask advice from people to know it better.

Looking at a model is great, but it won't necessarily teach you why those things go together, or what looks good on you. Some folks look great in more casual clothing, some look best in more formal, or different color schemes.

I defer to people I know who's opinion I respect and just ask them what looks good on me.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Why would a performer choose to look like others?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I mean ... there's genuinely not that much variation in men's fashion. Hasn't been for over two hundred years.

You've got a few folks who can pull off unusual styles, but many more that only think they can. I don't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather play it safe than end up looking ridiculous and ruining credibility.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
I say just dress in things that make you feel comfortable. Make it your own style. Be a leader, not a follower. A sheep in a pack of wolves.

As always,

Josh
dclxvinyc
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of dclxvinyc
I think it's important to dress for the venue or context in which you'll be performing. There are plenty of venues where a dark suit will get you far. An afternoon garden party isn't one of them. Neither is the beach. Likewise, a seersucker outfit or light colored polo won't help you much in the evening, indoors.

At the end of the day, it's important to look natural in your clothes. I've seen a lot of magicians who buy "the right clothes," but they don't fit well, or else the performer looks profoundly uncomfortable in the context. Unless you're a clown or a shock artist, you never want to stand out due to your outfit.

Looking at models can be a nice way to get a metric on a style you'll like. But ultimately, you have to try things on, go to a store, ask questions and look in a mirror. Moreover, just like your peek wallet needs to become your regular wallet to be effective, if you want to perform in a suit, but it's not part of your regular wardrobe, you will need to spend some regular days suiting up so you can "grow into it."

I work my "day job" as a sommelier in fine dining, so a suit and tie is my natural habitat. I struggle in the opposite direction and have no idea what shoes to wear with jeans and a t-shirt and I usually wind up looking like a dork when I'm dressing down, not up.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2019, dclxvinyc wrote:
I struggle in the opposite direction and have no idea what shoes to wear with jeans and a t-shirt and I usually wind up looking like a dork when I'm dressing down, not up.

As do most magicians, so you are not alone.
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
Do you think being 'one up' on the venue attendants (depending on your magic) is a safe rule. If it's a jeans and sneakers crowd, slacks and a button down shirt for example. Corporate khaki, a jacket and dress slacks. High end corporate suits and ties... best suit, pocket square and a carnation lol.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I do think that magicians must dress the part of a magician. No matter what setting you are in you can be fashion forward and well dressed. I'm certainly not a model but I do dress well with classic gentlemanly accents. Try adding quality accessories like a scarf pinned with a broach or great picket squares. And folks forget the cards in a fedora. The 89s are over. .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Fashion (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL