The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Andrew Mayne's Specter Cabinet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of brandonford1982
I was wondering if anyone has this new effect from http://www.weirdthings.com. I am wanting to build one and I want to know if I could make without the use of the book. I know it's only 15 bucks.
Dreams are a matter of choice, not chance. Live your Dreams. -DC
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
If it's only $15 why not buy it. Andrew's a great magical thinker with some great ideas. I have just ordered it so hopefully it will reach me soon. Give Andrew the credit he deserves by buying it.

Cheers,
TM
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

I agree with just buying it. He is a great thinker.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Buy it. He's a great thinker, whose ideas I'm using a lot. He's a friendly guy to deal with, his prices are the best around, he even pays postage if you order from his site. I was ordering from the UK, and not only did he include the international postage, but the book was with me within a week.

Given enough thought you probably could knock up a crummy ripoff version of any illusion like that, but the thing is that's not the point; you're paying for the experience, expense and research that went into what turns out to be a deceptively simple idea, and in particular license to use the result for your own purposes. His Bisection, for example, is very simple, but took a year to produce; he explains the process in the introduction in the book: how it started off way too expensive and complicated and ended up much simpler, a journey I can well relate to from my own projects. Only today I had a eureka moment when I realised that a sticking point I had in an illusion involving some expensive parts which were difficult to put together could be better accomplished with creative use of IT. The way it generally goes is that the simple way only tends to become apparent after you've wrestled with the complicated way and start taking out the unneccesary parts.

Don't fall into the trap of knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Good point. I am not trying to rip off or knock off. I had an idea already in mind for something similar. Mine was a vertical shadow box, made of pvc or a wood frame, and covering with white spandex, etc. I only wanted to know if they were the same. And I firmly believe everything you stated. I understand that it takes hard work to create and develop an illusion, and then to refine it to be pratical and easily worked. Andrew's ideas are awsome. Some are not happy that he only gives an idea, but that's what I like. He will give you an idea and with your own creativity you turn it into an orginal.
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
There is a separate thread on this on tricks and effects forum.
The idea is good. Go for it.
themagicman3
View Profile
New user
NC, United States
49 Posts

Profile of themagicman3
I ordered the book and received it today. I really enjoyed reading it and seeing his idea behind the shadow box. YES, it does require special lighting. It can, however, be performed in just about every theater (there is one thing that may keep it from being performed in some theaters, but most every theater I have ever been in has this).
I had been planning to build a traditional shadow box for a while and was going to do that this summer. I have, after seeing Andrew's idea, decided to use the Specter Cabinet concept.
I highly recommend the book, and if you don't like it... it cost you only $15. It looks like a quality idea to me, and if you buy if for the measurements of the plan alone, you have gotten your money's worth.

PM me with any questions.
Gracy_hm
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
195 Posts

Profile of Gracy_hm
I recieved it today and second that. Clear instructions, tons of pictures, little tips and touches for the effect that make it worth much more then $15. It is really a great booklet. I am building it this weekend and have a perfect venue to perform it, can't wait! This is how magic is supposed to look: clean and simple in appearance but a really impressive effect. I highly suggest this effect. It is simply really really good and really really cool. I am building every effect in his Illusion series and already have enough to perform a pretty amazing show.

Highly recomended.

BTW his site is http://www.weirdthings.com

His effect, Ghostbills, with borrowed bills looks really cool too. Check it out.

Take care,
Kyle
theaterfreak89
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of theaterfreak89
Is there a video of the illusion anywhere?
"...Now lift it up...over your head..."
Gracy_hm
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
195 Posts

Profile of Gracy_hm
I don't think he has video up but if you e-mail him I am sure he might be able to show you some photos.

Take care,
Kyle
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Yes mine came today, autographed too... And his idea is different than my concept; HOWEVER, I had an idea for this illusion some time ago. I think that his version is better than regular shadow boxes. But for when this trick will not work, because of special lights, I will build a similar box the way I intended. Thanks for all your help.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
$15 ...for the book is well worth it. Then another 40-60 dollars for materials and you have yourself an appearance illusion. You can't go wrong!

http://www.weirdthings.com Andrew has some awesome ideas. Check out his closeup illusion called Ghost Bills!!!!
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
I got the plans through the post this morning. It really is a great illusion. I look forward to his next creation.

Best Wishes,
TM
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
I hear that his next creation will also be an appearance but without the requirement for special lighting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Andrew Mayne's Specter Cabinet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL