The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » How to read anything... (46 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Right then... here's my pitch...

i've released a few things on readings, and looking back, my viewpoint has changed a little over the years. I was most proud of tarography, and what I loved most about readings in general - was that I could see how you could apply it anything. And the more I did it, the more fun it was, and the more fun it was, the more I realised I could give realistic, specific sounding readings that people seemed to find them honest and entertaining. Go me!

I found it a bit of a revelation - it became something that I carried with me all the time in my imagination. And I could read....anything.

Then when I did it for friends too, some would ask how I could do it - and I stumbled over how I did it. Anyway, to hurry up this sales pitch, I eventually found a way to describe it. And it seemed a bit silly once I put it down on paper. I should have thought of how to write this up sooner.

Anyway, blah blah blah hype hype hype - the real deal blah, impress stranger yaddah yaddah yaddah, mix it in with mentalism, insert quotes from friends etc etc etc...please buy my book...

its fun
its entertaining
there's lots of exercises to practice with
there's scripts to think about
there's formulas/equations that you can fill in the gaps with to help you create your own structure
there's links to annoyingly copy into your browser and then read which explains some of the science and psychology behind what I'm talking about
lots of examples of how I do things
three routines so you can use them to practice
how these techniques can be applied to anything within our realm
advice on how to apply these techniques to design duplications
how to apply them to what people have in their pockets and similar
probably a few other things that I've forgotten about right now

and then there's tarography v2, which uses everything else I've taught...tarography v2 is also now available as a physical stack of real polaroid photos (mini ones) directly from me. Instructions in the book in how to get them. These are my definitions of the major arcana and use my techniques to interpret them.

So that's it. It won't appear in any other format for at least a year.
You don't need to understand how readings work before you read this.
you don't need to know anything about the tarot either.

That's it, its getting boring now, I'm sure you are too.

Anyway - that's it...any questions, feel free to ask...I think I can predict one amazing joke!
I've asked to be banned
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9061 Posts

Profile of funsway
Confused a bit. You refer to "read anything" but restrict it to tarot base thinking.
Using Tarot or even cards of any kind is a minor part of world-wide/historical divination methods.

If you mean that becoming proficient with Tarot-based systems will allow you to do a read with any objects I heartedly agree.
But, the same could be said of oracles, casters, and other methods.

Not bored by anything you do and write, just having difficulty with focus ...

As to joke, I sorta have one.

I noticed three people approaching my house, They were dressed in Sunday best, book under arm and a child along for sympathy or language control.
I did not know what religious enthusiasm they championed, or care. I just do not wish to be bothered with other people's version of "do what I say, not what I do."

So, I flung (flinged?) open my door and announced with open arms, "At last! This morning I was casting bones and saw a vision of you arriving.
I know that you bear gifts and I have salt, water and bread prepared. Welcome." They left tire tracks on my grass. No respect at all.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Your confusion is down to not reading my OP correctly...
I've asked to be banned
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5835 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
So wait... you are the expert on how to read anything, but you made a post open to being misread?!?! Smile I made a funny.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I'm definitely interested in checking this out. I find Iain's work on/approach to readings to be very refreshing and developed. Non-mystical without being cynical, and showing a lot of respect for the sitter.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I genuinely don't see the confusion...

I split up what gets taught pretty clearly. What needs clarification?
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2019, funsway wrote:
Confused a bit. You refer to "read anything" but restrict it to tarot base thinking.
Using Tarot or even cards of any kind is a minor part of world-wide/historical divination methods.

I don't restrict it to anything. Please re read it. Also note "AND THEN there is tarography v2". So all the stuff before that is one thing, how to express a meaning with anything. Then secondly, tarography v2. Which is how to use photos as tarot.

Then secondly/and then there is = there is the first thing, then there is the second thing.

Don't think I can say it any other way? If you're still confused I can write you a long story instead if that'll help?
I've asked to be banned
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1585 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I really fail to see where any confusion or humour is here? In the interest of a full disclosure and to prevent a defibrillator needed for some, I received a free copy of this from Iain. I don't do hyperbole. I have made my thoughts on cliches and the fan boy brigade quite clear in previous posts. Take it or leave it, but this is my genuine belief regarding Iain's latest release;

This is akin to propless on steroids if you will! Imagine being able to offer a read on almost anything the sitter gives you, or indeed the colour chair they sit on, or even the way they scrawl on a page! Imagine no more. Iain has taken a hybrid of ideas and really presented something of real value to the reader. Inspiration quotes scattered throughout. The wise reader will take note of those too. No pipe dreams here. This can be used anytime anywhere. To the experienced reader this is gold. To someone starting out, with proper study and understanding - this can be a fabulous short cut to being able to perform professional and accurate readings in jig time. I really am impressed and eager to adapt some of these ideas in my own work.

By the way, at least 70% of my bookings are for readings, another big chunk of that are repeat clients. I have been doing readings in one form or another for close to 20 years. I think I know what works and what doesn't. I've made plenty of mistakes along the way. Make no mistake, this will work for you, of that I've no doubt. It's a refreshing ethical take on all things concerning giving an accurate and memorable reading to strangers.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1779 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Congratulations, Iain. Great stuff.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Hi Iain,

Would you be able to elaborate on the phrase "You get ...examples on how to become a true and honest reader"? What is a true and honest reader? Perhaps more importantly, what do you think constitutes 'untrue' and 'dishonest' readings and how does this book help performers steer clear of straying into that territory?

Thanks in advance.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yup

Example scripts to explain how you approach the reading, how it works and why it works...without being preachy.

There are also links to what create voices in our heads, how we see patterns in thing where there are none.

A true and honest reader explains how they are formulating their reading and alerts the person asking for one to those things.

So rather than doing one thing under the disguise of another, we are open to explaining things, rather than saying "I just use my intuition" when really you are applying a system and a set of rules and so on...

And then there's a brief rant on why you shouldn't tackle certain subjects nor use stats to to leverage hits.
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Oh and how to use the techniques to give design duplications depth and meaning (amongst other things).

So though some won't agree, I feel that using these things with pretty much any mentalism routine helps elevate them and make them feel rounder, more enjoyable and so on...
I've asked to be banned
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Thanks Iain. Sounds interesting. I would say that using deceptive techniques from the world of magic and Mentalism during a reading would be an example of a dishonest reading. Also the use of traditional cold and hot reading techniques or knowingly using a system that is different from the one you are claiming to be using would count as dishonest.

If you're not advocating that approach your book sounds really worthwhile.

But more importantly, does the book have a back cover?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I agree, in this, you are doing exactly what is being explained in your preamble...

And yes, the back cover is a picture of you with our initials carved into a heart shape...
I've asked to be banned
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1963 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
This looks great, and I look forward to buying it at some point in the future.

Of all the authors I've read on the subject of giving readings, no one takes the ethics of readings more seriously than Iain. And that is a very admirable quality.

From his other writings that I own, in particular Devil May Care, there is a way to frame and offer readings that does not attempt to predict the future, speak with the dead, claim any special powers, or do unintentional harm to the person you are reading. On the contrary, Iain teaches that readings can be honest, fun, interesting and uplifting. I like this thinking a lot.
STARE, AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thank you, I appreciate it very much...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
To clarify further...

I have streamlined everything - and found ways to teach how to read anything, via short, simple exercises...
I have provided scripts - ones you will hopefully adapt to suit how you speak rather than copy verbatim....
I have provided what I see as formulas, ones you can fill in yourself and practice with...

my main aim in this, is to teach you how to 'read' anything put in front of you. Whether you do this openly or secretly is up to you. You can do both.
if you don't do readings and have been afraid to do so, this will give you a very straightforward 'in' and then be able to give short, punchy readings. Or if you want to make whatever you reveal look and feel like you kinda 'know' that person's motivations for making a drawing, or thinking of a name, this provides you with the tools to do just that.

For example, ask someone to pop three objects on the table in any order, and you'll be able to tell them about themselves, or at very least, their motivations as to why they put them in the order they did. This obviously lends itself to Free Will and other similar routines. So instead of the standard reveal, you can extrapolate from there and easily link that into the next demonstration.

Or if you are about to reveal a design duplication, instead of the ta-dah! of the "wow we've matched" you can add some extra layering using these techniques and still have your ta-dah! moment at the end if that's your bag.

Maybe you don't have a bag...

If you want to give readings and are interested in tarot, you can generate your own photographic versions, or buy ready made decks from me directly. These are small real Polaroids. No magicy lamination or card stock. Real photos. So you can give readings but without all the traitional woo woo that comes along with a standard tarot deck.

Think of the book as two things. One, how to read anything, two, tarographic imagery - and inbetween them, there's three routines that use people's doodles/drawwings on business cards that mixes traditional mentalism methods with the techniques I teach.

you won't need to claim any psychic abilities, you can be very honest with what you are doing, and it still comes across as entertaining, unique and different from most other presentations (in my biased opinions)…

hopefully that clarifies things without the need for a story. If you liked Devil May Care and Valid-diction, then this compliments both.
I've asked to be banned
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1263 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
I've read the book. Iain has clearly done a lot of thinking (and honing in the real world) about how to align the act of readings within his ethical guidelines. Honestly, if one were to work on the exercises he gives examples of on a daily basis, I believe it would be like exercising a creativity muscle with great benefit. This creativity muscle of course would apply to being able to do readings with literally anything (his claim is true and accurate), but probably also being more attune to the art and symbols presented all around us daily by the universe that we just skip over due to our busy lives. I see him being very similar in that respect to Enrique Enriquez. The basics for what Iain is teaching he has already taught us in myriad posts on the Café, and I think this book just outlines some ways to actually do what he has been alluding to in bits and starts. Just IMHO.

Honestly, I think sharing a couple examples of the type of preamble he does wouldn't compromise the book's value at all, and would explain a lot.

The stuff is right here that people have been wanting. People want to know how to read; it's here. No memorization, no cheating, no wacky claims. Just creativity, storytelling, connection/respect of the sitter, and a tad bit of structure that even elementary students understand...1, 2, 3.
www.reddevilmentalism.com
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2019, IAIN wrote:
I agree, in this, you are doing exactly what is being explained in your preamble...

And yes, the back cover is a picture of you with our initials carved into a heart shape...

Good god! Spare your customers. Go back to the plain back covers!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
First and last bump for a discount code... LULU10

Hopefully reviews will be coming in down in Mentally Speaking after people have had time to digest it...

Cheers...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » How to read anything... (46 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL