The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Torn Corner Machine (TCM) by Juan Pablo (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
I ordered this today, looks interesting.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......machine/

Ad Copy:

A few years ago Juan Pablo released Torn Card Evolution and revolutionized the way we tear a corner on a playing card.

Now, with Juan Pablo's Torn Corner Machine, you can make your own cards!

What if it were possible for you to tear the corner of a card the same every time?

Imagine the effects you will perform with a duplicate corner that matches every time!

One of the most powerful techniques in card magic is the "torn corner technique." A playing card is selected, one corner is torn off and kept by the spectator, then the rest of the card is destroyed. The playing card can be burnt, torn up, vanished or whatever you wish!

Then the magician draws attention to a window, and stuck on the outside of the window is a playing card - the spectator's card! It's now totally restored. All but the corner... that the spectator has been holding the whole time!

And certainly - you don't have to use a window as the final resting place.
You can have the playing card reappear ANYWHERE!

Inside an orange or lemon
Locked in a safe
Inside a sealed envelope sent previously to your spectator
Inside a block of ice
Buried in a bottle in the back yard
The options are endless!

The card really is torn and the spectator can even finish the rip! Easy, clean, simple and practical. The spectator selects a playing card, you tear the corner, allowing your spectator to complete the tear. The spectator holds onto the torn corner and the rest of the card is destroyed or vanished.

The Torn Corner Machine allows you to do so many versions of classic card magic without the limitations of sleight of hand. You can now easily perform any effect that has a selected card torn to pieces only to reappear, missing its corner that was held by your spectator. The restored card can appear in any impossible location!

There are so many effects you can do using Torn Card Machine!

This product will make you tear the card accurately every time!

Very easy to do.

The spectator can finish ripping the corner themselves!

Torn Corner Machine is a new concept in magic. Comes with everything you need to make your own cards!

You just need to supply your creativity!
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Tyler Lunsford
View Profile
Regular user
USA
131 Posts

Profile of Tyler Lunsford
I too really liked the idea of this so I purchased it. I always love a good utility tool / gimmick. I'm really looking forward to this and as soon as I get to test it out I'll review it on my YouTube channel.

You can find my review here when it is up: http://www.youtube.com/c/TylerLunsfordMagic

Tyler
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Looks like a tear I saw last year from DM I think. A site was running a weekend watch all you want for $10 thingy. He described a method for tearing (ala G Blo0m) without a gimmick. If this is the same idea, I would recommend both. See Angel Z from E. skip the "talk" go to 1:27. That being said, I will be purchasing TCM.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Intersesor same thing NO ?
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I was imagining that this had some kind of scoring thing built in. The unit appears to hold the card also, but I'm curious.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2019, tophatter wrote:
Intersesor same thing NO ?

Not sure about a gimmick. The DM one I mention above uses no gimmick.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
I was imagining that this had some kind of scoring thing built in. The unit appears to hold the card also, but I'm curious.

That would be implied by “refills” for the trick.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2019, magicmind wrote:
Quote:

Wouldn't Intercessor be better then? No refills needed. The tool is virtually unbreakable.
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wouldn't Intercessor be better then? No refills needed. The tool is virtually unbreakable.

This product is a device to prep cards before a performance. No need to purchase refills. Let's put it this way, Torn Corner Machine is a device to use before a performance, versus Intercessor which is used during a performance.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2019, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

That would be a matter of opinion. The method I mention above requires no gimmick. This looks better for me ,if I need a gimmick,as it doesn’t require carrying something extra.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Received mine this morning. It's a straight forward utility. I wouldn't refer to it as a gimmick since it's use it and put it away, it's more of a utility. The video provided
by Murphy's Magic is well shot, clear. It's also closed captioned which means a lot to me as I usually practice in my office in the shop and the machines running keep
me from being able to hear anything on the computer.

Love Mine, can't wait to hear what others think.

-MJJ
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I picked this up and wanted to share my first impressions. I’m a long-time fan of the Intercessor, though I don’t use it inside the deck for a real-time tear. I own the original as well as the newer model. I use the newer one and the 2mm difference in the template to prep a corner with a touch of rubber cement.

The process is a bit laborious, but the effects you can perform are great. When I saw the ad for the Torn Corner Machine, I knew I had to get one.

I personally dislike situations where a corner is already missing and the gap has to be hidden, and then the tearing is mimed. IMO, I never see anyone convincingly mime that action. This seemed like it would be a great solution. I love the fact that the complete card is seen the entire time and that the tear happens in real time and in full view.

In terms of what the gimmick’s main function is, it is exactly what I expected based on the demo. What Lamanske’s “Bullet” and Allen’s “Perfect Score” offer for Mercury Folds, the TCM offers for a torn/matching corner.

It is a little bit lower-tech in how it achieves the result than I imagined it might be, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

The video download is 11.5 minutes long. It includes the trailer at the beginning, so the instructional part is just over 9 minutes long. Juan Pablo covers his history and inspiration of creating the tool (Spanish with English subtitles). The main teaching portion is unspoken and set to music with English titles.

Using the device is easy & intuitive and really doesn’t need much instruction. I made a test card before I watched the video and it turned out great. The learning curve on using this is very small.

For the last couple of minutes, Juan Pablo comes back (Spanish with English subtitles once again) and gives a few brief ideas for effects that you can perform, as well as teaching a basic card vanish.

The tool is made from black plastic, but seems well built and shouldn’t have any problems with durability. It fits a poker-sized card perfectly. It’s also quite small and slim, so it’ll be easy to have this live in your close-up bag.

Much as you might carry a roughing stick to make an on-the-fly ID, you might carry the TCM for somewhat spontaneous torn corner performances.

I would’ve loved to perhaps have seen this made from metal rather than plastic, though that would’ve increased the price. I would have also liked a more in-depth video that was more thorough in the routines. Juan mostly gives broad ideas for where a card can end up - orange, wallet, book, etc.

Naturally there are a zillion places & ways you can produce the card, so creative magicians shouldn’t need a lot of guidance. But it still would’ve been nice to get a deeper insight about Juan Pablo’s favorite versions.

Overall, it does what it says on the tin, is well made, and anyone who is currently using a torn corner with the Intercessor, Angle Z, etc should find it useful.

One thing I really like to use the Intercessor for is a matching corner on a torn bill, so I will have to test whether the TCM is useful for paper money, or just for cards.
Kevin Reylek
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Mercury 52 -- thanks for the excellent review! While you're testing things besides cards, would you mind trying a business card? This could be a great use.

Thanks!
Jerry
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Works well with a business card! The device is specifically sized for a poker card, so the business card doesn't quit fit perfectly, but it's easy enough to put the biz card into a consistent place for precision & accuracy when doing "the work".
Kevin Reylek
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
So do I understand this correctly that this is a tool that can essentially be used to make your own cards that are just like his previous Torn Card Evolution cards?
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Correct. This is a tool that lets you prepare your own cards, rather than buying the pre-prepared Evolution cards
Kevin Reylek
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The power of the Internet, it is out of stock, everywhere I look, dang!
CopperChopCup
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of CopperChopCup
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:

Mine is out for delivery. Glad I didn’t wait. I had been planning on revisiting The Intercessor, but this popped up and should be fun to play around with for a while.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2019, CopperChopCup wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:

Mine is out for delivery. Glad I didn’t wait. I had been planning on revisiting The Intercessor, but this popped up and should be fun to play around with for a while.

This is really the first utility that has a "Wow". The best $ I spent on a utility.

-MJJ
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2019, Mercury52 wrote:
Works well with a business card!

Thanks! This opens up possibilities beyond "card tricks," which is great.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Torn Corner Machine (TCM) by Juan Pablo (17 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL