The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Classic rabbit out of hat gimmick (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cm593
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of cm593
Hi Guys

Im planning on getting my partner a rabbit as a present and was thinking that the best way to give it to her would of course by pulling it out of a hat, as despite every other trick I practice on her this is the only one she ever says she wants to see.

I’ve seen a lot of the videos floating around and read Tarbell on this topic of the different methods but was wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to buy the bag needed to help with the rabbit before it goes in the hat as opposed to making one?

Do you also find that a regular top hat is sufficient in size for performing the trick?

Thanks in advance!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22447 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No, I have never seen the load bag offered for sale by any magic dealer. There is two different types, but work with the same method using a steal.

The rabbit should be a Netherlands dwarf rabbit, they stay dwarf size and the best for this effect.

Any good top hat will work just fine. The largest hat size they make is a size 8.

The real question is are you ready for a pet. Daily care, feeding, bathing, and cleaning cages is a lot of responsibility.
cm593
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of cm593
Thanks Bill!

Looks like I'll have to give in and make my own load bag.

Luckily I'm only planning on performing the trick when I give her the rabbit as a present so the size they grow to shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I've had pet rabbits before and she's been wanting one for awhile so the pulling out of the hat routine is just a way to 'jazz up' giving her the surprise present.
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
148 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Great gift idea and they make wonderful pets. They are A LOT of work to keep with cleaning and feeding etc but sooo worth it. Some can even be trained to use a litter box (so I'm told I've never had any luck with it) Have you considered adopting one from an animal shelter, there are plenty out there. Check out Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, they have many breeds and ages for adoption all spayed/neutered. Or check out Rabbits on PetFinder.com.
I've always had rabbits as pets, some have performed in my shows like the ones I have now and some have been just pets, always great, sitting with a rabbit on your lap and petting it or brushing it is very relaxing.
Good Luck, have fun
Bruce
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Consider a small paper lunch bag... if it will fit. That at least gives you something to use as a pattern for making a cloth bag. Some Dollar Store gift bags have a transparent window in one side and that makes a great place to hide a rabbit in plain sight, as long as they can keep still.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7376 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I make two different sizes depending on the size of the animal. They also work well for non livestock objects also..like oranges.
Blackstone gave away many rabbits but he always made sure that the parents approved. He also gave them a tip sheet on caring for them and a small bag of rabbit pellets. Oh yea, he produced his from what was called a "rat bottle". I don't think you could get away with it in today's PETA world.

Richard

I should add that it was lot of fun trying find baby netherland draw rabbits in the pet stores and then trying them into the bottles without people noticing.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
317 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Can you expand on what a rat bottle is?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1667 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2020, BalukMagic wrote:
Can you expand on what a rat bottle is?

You can find descriptions of this prop in old magic catalogs and older books on magic.

Briefly, it's a bottle which allows liquid to be poured from the bottle in normal manner , establishing that it is just a "normal" bottle ... then the bottle can be broken with a hammer and a small animal produced from the bottle -- a rat , a dove , guinea pig , or a small rabbit .

Attached image is from a page in Donald Holmes's catalog of magic , No. 12 , published in 1927.

This description from the book "John Mulholland's Story of Magic" by John Mulholland and Ben Robinson:

"The magician brings forth a tray on which are several wine-glasses and a bottle. The announcement is made that the conjurer will pour from the bottle whatever drink is called for. Red wine , white wine, ale, or whiskey may be called for first. It is immediately poured from the bottle . Some one else asks for one of the other drinks, and it too is poured from the bottle. When the bottle has been emptied the magician suggests that many of those present would undoubtedly be curious to see inside the bottle. The magician then takes a small hammer , cracks open the bottle and a dove flies out."

Click here to view attached image.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22447 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott's Magic Co. use to make and sell this effect, it was no longer available since the 1960's.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7376 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Harry Blackstone used to use the rat bottle to produce the bunny he would give the child. I remember painting and gaffing the mason jars for him.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Today the "Rat Bottle" can be easily made since we now have plastic bottles to work with. You can even make one that is transparent, or partially so, that you can see contains liquid. The main difference is that you don't smash open the bottle (it's plastic...it wouldn't work!) but just sever the bottle in the middle to release the animal hidden inside.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Classic rabbit out of hat gimmick (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL