The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Best Coins (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
Anybody know what the best coins are for coin magic? I have larger than average hands, 8.5" bottom of palm to tip of middle finger. 9" thumb to pinkie.

Any thoughts?

Let me know!

Josh
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Dollar coins would be the best, mostly because they are more visible and most spectators would expect that they are more difficult to hide in your hands. However if you are going to use your spectators' hands, half dollar coins are better - mostly because you don’t know if their hands are large enough to handle dollar coins well.

There are several threads on coin size and hand size here in the forums. Use the search tool above right to get to some threads that discuss this extensively.

Jim
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2019, J-Mac wrote:
Dollar coins would be the best, mostly because they are more visible and most spectators would expect that they are more difficult to hide in your hands. However if you are going to use your spectators' hands, half dollar coins are better - mostly because you don’t know if their hands are large enough to handle dollar coins well.

There are several threads on coin size and hand size here in the forums. Use the search tool above right to get to some threads that discuss this extensively.

Jim

Good advice!

And welcome to the Café. 😊
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
atroc
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
18 Posts

Profile of atroc
Personally I like to swap between dollar and half-dollar coins while I practice. They require slightly different placements for the different sleights/handlings and I find that the ability to swap between them really helps me focus on what works for one size vs. another.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I also like both depending on the effect.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
Okay thanks.

Do you know where I could get some coins for a decent price? Not looking to spend a lot of money.

Josh
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
You can often get Kennedy half dollars from a bank as they're still technically in circulation. You might try calling a few banks in your area and asking if you can get some. You can get rolls of them on ebay as well, for a few dollars over what they're worth.

As far as silver dollars, Eisenhower dollars can be also found on ebay for a couple bucks each.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2019, atroc wrote:
Personally I like to swap between dollar and half-dollar coins while I practice. They require slightly different placements for the different sleights/handlings and I find that the ability to swap between them really helps me focus on what works for one size vs. another.

Practice is good with both size coins, but you can also use them in routine as well... Smile The size difference creates more contrast and texture to the effect, along with keeping your hands familiar (and ready for adjustments) with both size coins. Smile

A lot of good info here, but yes, for about $10 bucks, you can go to most any bank and get yourself 5 Ike dollars, and 10 Kennedy half dollars, and you're set for years to come. Just grab yourself a couple of Chinese coins and few English pennies cheap on eBay and you can do most things, with some practice, of course. Smile

Good journey to you, JD. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
for about $10 bucks, you can go to most any bank and get yourself 5 Ike dollars, and 10 Kennedy half dollars, and you're set for years to come.

ABOUT $10?
If your bank is charging any more than that, you should call the Feds! Smile
If they are changing less than that, buy as many as you can!

There are limitations, banks don't seem to want to keep half dollar or dollar coins (other than the ~golden ones that are smaller than a half dollar) You may need to check back often and several banks. I believe that the only time when they will have them is when a previous customer brought some in.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
John, many banks keep a small amount on hand but all other banks can order rolls when requested. Although they CAN, some don’t seem to want to. ALso you can order the coins directly from the US Mint website.

Kennedy Half-Dollars: https://catalog.usmint.gov/kennedy-2019-......&start=1

Ike dollars can be purchased on Ebay with full 20 coin rolls going for about $35 to $40 with shipping included.

Jim
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
MB, your video made me smile. Love it.

That is literally the epitome of coin magic. Top echelon for sure. I aspire to do that eventually.

Josh
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I stand corrected.

Years ago, I was able to find $'s and $/2 at local banks for face value, and it was conversations with them that led me to believe that they didn't want to retain them.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
atroc
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
18 Posts

Profile of atroc
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2019, Mb217 wrote:
Practice is good with both size coins, but you can also use them in routine as well... Smile The size difference creates more contrast and texture to the effect, along with keeping your hands familiar (and ready for adjustments) with both size coins. Smile

This is a really good idea Smile!

Also, thanks for the video on how that idea could work Smile

Thanks!
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Whenever possible I prefer Eisenhower silver dollars. Morgan's and walking Liberty's and coins like those are nice but the problem that I have with them is it mostly people are not familiar with them and therefore Immediately become quote-unquote trick coins. So I like to stick to coins that people are at least somewhat familiar with.
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2019, dpe666 wrote:
Whenever possible I prefer Eisenhower silver dollars. Morgan's and walking Liberty's and coins like those are nice but the problem that I have with them is it mostly people are not familiar with them and therefore Immediately become quote-unquote trick coins. So I like to stick to coins that people are at least somewhat familiar with.

That makes sense.

Thanks!

Josh
Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
A couple of months ago when I began looking at coin magic more seriously, I picked up few similarly sized coins for practice: a single US half dollar coin, an old English penny and an almost black Argentinian two cents ("dos centavos") coin.

They've been great but now I'm looking at routines that need several identical coins so I need to expand my collection. After much consideration I think I'll end up trying to get used to (and learning the differences between) a few different coin sets, i.e. adding a few more half dollars and English pennies and a couple of larger (~38mm?) coin sets too, such as US dollars and old English Crowns... and I'll also practice with "in circulation" coins too of course (not my strong point because tiny UK coins/big hands).
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Good discussion here. Smile

I have found that usually coin effects are done with half dollar size coins, and mostly Kennedy halves and or English pennies, at least that's about so in the U.S. But there are other good like-size coins out there to choose from. I think these are mostly the size coins of choice because they are the best of both worlds as to most people's hand size and as to good visualness, from hobbyists to pros.

Dollar size coins are fun if you can handle them, and usually it is just a matter of diligent practice that makes that happen, that makes anything happen really. Smile And though people don't much if at all walk around anymore with dollar size coins, they are still amazed by them, their larger size still POPS! to the eye and demands attention. Subconciously, specs think they are easier to follow, and harder for you to do anything tricky with them. Smile As to Ike or Morgan, either or is fine. No doubt that Morgans are a nicer looking coin, but Ikes are much easier to come by and much cheaper. I have not found anyone that questioned either of them in performance. And actually I do a pet effect, my "MB Transpo PLUS" using a Morgan and dollar size Chinese coin, that I show cleanly and even let specs handle, so there's no suspicion of any gaff coins, etc., mostly because there aren't any and everything is shown right out in the open. Smile The larger coins give the routine a big bounce.

And you can use different size coins for different effects, or use them both in the same effect as I point out above *(and I appreciate the good comments here on that). For me, if you're doing a One Coin Routine or Vanish/Production sequence, a dollar size coin is best and certainly more visual. But when I do a coins across, I like to use half dollars as they are a bit easier to handle and to be deceptive with up close. But that's me, how about you? Smile

And I know some like to get coins off the specs, most times smaller coins like quarters, dimes, pennies, nickels. Lots of good effects with these sizes too but I prefer to use the larger coins I carry and honestly, no one ever seems to care one way or the other. I typically will do something with people's smaller coins on-the-spot if I have to. But I prefer to always be ready with what's more comfortable for me to do the best I can for them. Easy enough to do, always packs small & plays BIG, and I've been doing it that way for many years without a hitch. Smile

Another element here is as to feel and play of the coins, especially as to dollar size. Silver coins have their feel (and true sound) and clad coins or replica coins have their feel as to them. So, to each his own but you can do the same things with any of them, truth be told. Just depends on you mostly. The specs will follow with whatever you have to present, any which way you lead them. Smile

JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
That helps a lot.

BTW...How long have you been doing coin magic MB?

Josh
Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
Can any UK coin magicians suggest a good place to buy US coins? I'm after a few clad Kennedy halves (1971 if possible) to add to the one I've been practicing with up until now.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2019, JoshDude849 wrote:
That helps a lot.

BTW...How long have you been doing coin magic MB?

Josh

NP. 😊👍🏽 Just my view from the journey.

Oh, and I’ve been playing with coin magic from a kid growing up in NYC. I was always drawn to them for some reason. I went in & out of magic over the years but began to better improve with coins later on. Not sure why it went like that but I guess more so than not, happy it sorta worked out a bit. 😉

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Best Coins (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL