The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

123majik123
View Profile
Regular user
nowhere
180 Posts

Profile of 123majik123
Hello again gentlemen,

Just a quick bit of advice is needed!

Currenlty I have worked my way through P.subtulties, 13 steps, practical mental magic and paramiracles. I also have a few DVDs: Osterlind, Nyman, Marc paul.

However, I would like to advance myslef in this rather ellusicve field by purchasing either "Peek performances" or "theatre of the mind"

My question is (I can only get one at the mo.) Ehic would people recommend for someone at my stage (I have done a few stage performances and studied the above books quite throughlly)

If possible could someone give a rundown of the contents of each one. I have used the search facility and haven't satisfied myself as of yet. All I know is that Busch book is about modern billet work and Richardson's contains 35 detailed effects.

I currently at the moment only really like to do effects that are really to the point, with (to borrow a phrase from DB) very litle visible compramise. Obviously write now I am happy to work with billets until I get more experience etc.

Is Richardsons book a book containing to the point effects with very little visible comprimise or is it more mental magic(y) with book tests and things which suggest some sort of magic like trickery?

Thanks again guys.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3418 Posts

Profile of Looch
Richardsons book has little in terms of non-visible compromise
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
justforeffect
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
153 Posts

Profile of justforeffect
Richardson's is very much mental magic, it even has a bill in lemon method.
123majik123
View Profile
Regular user
nowhere
180 Posts

Profile of 123majik123
Do you think you could offer a little bit more as to some of the effects in the book?
From reading some of the posts, The bill divination and truth to tell seems to be non visible comprimise, is this true?

Cheers
JudgeBean
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of JudgeBean
Not much of a review on the whole book of theater of the mind. a effect here or there. and opinions....but no table of contents review.....this what is in it kind of review.....
justforeffect
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
153 Posts

Profile of justforeffect
(This is copied and pasted from Magictricks)

The book is split into 10 chapters, each with a different area or approach. In brief:

Chapter 1: Classics. Six classic effects that are known to most but definitely are improved with the Richardson approach. I particularly like ‘Dollar Divination’, which has a wonderful bill switch, followed by an outline for presentation which involves at least half a dozen audience members.

Chapter 2: Mysterious Forces. The power of the human mind to control matter with floating glasses, unfolding hankies, tests of psychic strength and so on.

Chapter 3: Shades of Suggestion. Effects that seem to use subtle persuasion. A simple effect is persuading a spectator that he/she is unable to lift a pencil from your palm.

Chapter 4: Mental Gymnastics. As the title suggests these are tests of memory and mental ability. Some lovely predictions using numbers that have audiences scratching their heads.

Chapter 5: From the Platform. Effects that use audience participation. The effects in this chapter would be worth the price of the book alone. There is an effect using scrabble letters that is so simple yet so impressive that I used it within minutes and fooled my collective audience big time. The effect that uses a prediction within a balloon is a stunner.

Chapter 6: Intimate Mentalism. This is close up mentalism, meant for a small audience or in a one to one environment. I really like Psychometry in a Paper bag - imagine asking three people to place objects into a paper bag while you are turned away. You can instantly feel which item belongs to who, follow it with three short cold readings and your audience will believe you have mystical powers!

Chapter 7: Mental Card Effects. Needs some rudimentary knowledge of cards. If I can work some of these then anybody can!

Chapter 8: Words with Wings. Direct mindreading that is I impressive, yet easy to learn. Ask a spectator to tear a newspaper into small piece and then freely select any piece. As they focus on one word on that sheet you are able to tell them which word it is.

Chapter 9: The Card at Any Number Problem: Not my favorite type of magic but intricate and well thought out models for predicting where cards lie in the deck.

Chapter 10: The Fourth Dimension. Mentalism using clocks and watches.
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
You already have enough books and video's for a career!

Peek Performance is a STUDY, not a read.

Ted (Leondo)
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3418 Posts

Profile of Looch
The bill divination appears impromptu as it should, its success lays within the use of one "prop" that many who perfom will already own, its clean and direct, a v nice effect.

Pencil pusher also comes to mind as a nice effect, as it appears to the audience, a spec is placed in a "suggestable" trance-like state is told to lift a pencil that lays on the performers open palm, she cannot. she is then snapped out of the state and can immediatly lift the pencil high into the air. again this effect requires a simple "prop" that most mentalist will own

they are the 2 effects from richardsons book that spring to mind as nice effects. there is also a synchronicity type effect that (as I write this has sprung to mind) which I will again look up tonight. there are a lot of "mental magicky" type effects in there too, so whatever turns you on really.

the busch book really is a long term investment and requires careful study, I literally went through 1000 index cards learning one "peek" but I wouldnt go back and change anything the book was a joy to go through.

hope this helps
looch
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
123majik123
View Profile
Regular user
nowhere
180 Posts

Profile of 123majik123
Cheers thanksalot guys. Just quickly what is "truth to tell" from theatre of the mind?
justforeffect
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
153 Posts

Profile of justforeffect
It is when 3 specs each take a coin and put it in one hand secretly. Then they elect one hand to lie, and one to tell the truth.

The magi asks each only one question, and divines the correct hand.

Hope this helps.
francisco
View Profile
Loyal user
Coolest guy in the café
267 Posts

Profile of francisco
Is this one question 'Is the coin in your right hand?'
heh sorry guys
'When you steal one trick, they call it plagiarism. When you steal many - they call it research.'

[Corinda, 13 steps to mentalism]
justforeffect
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
153 Posts

Profile of justforeffect
Quote:
On 2004-05-25 11:40, francisco wrote:
Is this one question 'Is the coin in your right hand?'
heh sorry guys

How did you know...

No it isn't lol.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL