The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello my magical brothers, and sisters I just registered today and am so excited! (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lizzard_king
View Profile
New user
Victoria Australia
13 Posts

Profile of lizzard_king
Greetings to all good morning afternoon good evening when ever you all are. I have lurked a few times here and noticed registration was open to new members again and decided to seize the opportunity. I fell in love with magic and conjuration in my early childhood as many of you did in Florida.I thought to myself, how awesome would it be if one day I could vanish, multiply red sponge balls, or float a scarf amongst the other miracles I saw that day.

Years would pass and the dream of learning the arts faded though my apatite for watching performances of magic never did. When I became ill with the flu in my early 20s I went to my local library and checked out a few books on beginner magic, card tricks, and became addicted which led to my state today.

I read and buy magic books videos and items from our art regularly. My passions are coins, card manipulation, it, itr, tt, and general sleight of hand and just thought I would introduce myself and join this amazing community. Cheers!
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of TomB
Welcome lizzard_king to the Magic Café forum.

What itr products do you use?
lizzard_king
View Profile
New user
Victoria Australia
13 Posts

Profile of lizzard_king
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2019, TomB wrote:
Welcome lizzard_king to the Magic Café forum.

What itr products do you use?

Hey TomB , thank you for the welcome and question. I am learning on one that I purchased off ebay. It's an unbranded I.T.R. The t seems fairly strong however it only came with a small dot of m.w.. I have been a little frustrated because as I tried my first round of practice the dot came off probably due to my not warming it up enough to stick well, and what happens when you break the s*g of course it all retracted. I have about 3 on the way in the mail coming so, until then I disassembled the device and organized things and with some blue tack. Now I have a back up material to experiment with. I like to practice I.T. effects such as levitation of bills and tissue paper including making them dance. How about you do you ever perform any effects live for people using I.T.R's or I.T. ? What I.T.R do you use? I was and am still looking forwards to having more walk around freedom and would like to practice a popular effect where the spectators chosen card magically reveals itself from the deck that is placed on the ground.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3645 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome lizzard_king,

I was just a fan of Magic till my early adulthood. I think that gives a good perspective on Magic later (although I do miss the years of practice I could have had).

I had never thought of the contagion possible with books at the Library before. Thanks for that. LOL
Many members have mentioned that they took up Magic while convalescing in some manner. Sometimes we need to slow down to really get into something. Being "under the weather" is one of the only things that slow down our fast paced lives. You had a lucky? bout with flu.

-Mary Mowder
lizzard_king
View Profile
New user
Victoria Australia
13 Posts

Profile of lizzard_king
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2019, Mary Mowder wrote:
Welcome lizzard_king,

I was just a fan of Magic till my early adulthood. I think that gives a good perspective on Magic later (although I do miss the years of practice I could have had).

I had never thought of the contagion possible with books at the Library before. Thanks for that. LOL
Many members have mentioned that they took up Magic while convalescing in some manner. Sometimes we need to slow down to really get into something. Being "under the weather" is one of the only things that slow down our fast paced lives. You had a lucky? bout with flu.

-Mary Mowder

Hi Mary mowder, thank you for the welcome.

I believe it was also how all the kids were freaking out like going nuts with the banana phone, sponge balls, and rainbow mouth ribbons that really stuck in my mind as a child. Somehow I didn't wind up with a magic kit as a kid. It was up to me to keep busy, and when I had the flu I guess that memory came back to me and I knew I had some old bikes lying around, so I went to the library and just got stuck into it. When you said your early adult hood what was it that gave you a spark for the arts? Also, if I may what types of magic are your favorite to do? I appreciate your time in responding.

your brother from a magic mother John Register. ha - ha.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3645 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
My partner Tom slowly coaxed me into Magic. First just bringing something out on stage.

I always liked Magic but did not get a Magic set young and ran into a brick wall in my research. Magic was much more secretive in the past.

I had a regular job when Tom and I got together and at some point I just decided that if I did not get involved I'd just be mad about going to work when he didn't.

I actually committed to being a pro. Magician before I knew a single trick. That is to say, I turned down unemployment checks after the theatre I worked in sold and quit looking for a job managing a theatre. I became an Apprentice to Tom and took up the Character of a Wizard's Apprentice to Tom's Wizard character.

I now do Family Stand-Up alone most of the time and occasionally do some Strolling Close-Up either with Tom or by myself. (Tom no longer does Stand-Up)

I don't recommend Magic as a living unless you are a good business person (which we are not LOL). Still Magic has been a wonderful life for me personally. I would still make the same choices and I'm not done with it yet.

-Mary Mowder
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of TomB
I have yet to play around with IT. I have to decide if I like electrical or mechanical ITRs or if I should go with IETs or a combination of all 3.

There are a lot of choices Alpha, Titan, Tarantula, Cobra, Scorpion, Loops, for different effects.

The haunted deck looks pretty cool.

I am really awed by you guys that levitate objects or have telekinesis. Like a good puzzle I have a hard time finding the IT during a performance.

Blackstone Jrs floating lightbulb ranks as one of my favorite performances.

The Magic Café has some good posts dealing with the subject, so if you have not done so already use the search feature.
ryanshaw9572
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of ryanshaw9572
Welcome!
lizzard_king
View Profile
New user
Victoria Australia
13 Posts

Profile of lizzard_king
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2019, Mary Mowder wrote:
My partner Tom slowly coaxed me into Magic. First just bringing something out on stage.

I always liked Magic but did not get a Magic set young and ran into a brick wall in my research. Magic was much more secretive in the past.

I had a regular job when Tom and I got together and at some point I just decided that if I did not get involved I'd just be mad about going to work when he didn't.

I actually committed to being a pro. Magician before I knew a single trick. That is to say, I turned down unemployment checks after the theatre I worked in sold and quit looking for a job managing a theatre. I became an Apprentice to Tom and took up the Character of a Wizard's Apprentice to Tom's Wizard character.

I now do Family Stand-Up alone most of the time and occasionally do some Strolling Close-Up either with Tom or by myself. (Tom no longer does Stand-Up)

I don't recommend Magic as a living unless you are a good business person (which we are not LOL). Still Magic has been a wonderful life for me personally. I would still make the same choices and I'm not done with it yet.

-Mary Mowder
Wow! That is cool that you met your partner through magic. Thank you for the response.When you became his apprentice was it through an ad in the paper or through a friend? As for making it a full time magi, yeah I am still working towards becoming more of a performing amature. I have had experience in paying tax for a private business and that would probably be a challenge. I am not going to do vids or perform for social media. My hopes are to eventually land some pub gigs doing strolling work. Take care Smile
lizzard_king
View Profile
New user
Victoria Australia
13 Posts

Profile of lizzard_king
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2019, TomB wrote:
I have yet to play around with IT. I have to decide if I like electrical or mechanical ITRs or if I should go with IETs or a combination of all 3.

There are a lot of choices Alpha, Titan, Tarantula, Cobra, Scorpion, Loops, for different effects.

The haunted deck looks pretty cool.

I am really awed by you guys that levitate objects or have telekinesis. Like a good puzzle I have a hard time finding the IT during a performance.

Blackstone Jrs floating lightbulb ranks as one of my favorite performances.

The Magic Café has some good posts dealing with the subject, so if you have not done so already use the search feature.
Hi there Tom B thanks so much for the reply. I currently am in the practice till I get all my slights down part. I am no where near performing any {it, iet ,or itr work I currently practice {it} more than the {itr }or tarantula I have to repair the bit at the tip of the tarantula thing with some super glue if it doesn't eat at the plastic. I had to get a few more {itr's} because man, they can be fiddly to reload if the **x comes off the magic bit.I have learned how important it is to really work with the *a* and warm it up to room temperature. I think growing up Blackstone was my favorite magician what a wizard he was with the light bulb however I personally can't stand the {IT} hummingbird effect with a card. Sometimes give my self a headache trying to either strip the magic or attach the (x) to the stuff. I feel silly describing in code but I like to hear other magicians respond and not think that I am exposing anything I know you know what I mean. Have a great weekend man it's Saturday down under.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello my magical brothers, and sisters I just registered today and am so excited! (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL