The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ The workshop Ľ Ľ Jewelry style Card boxes with lid (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docguitarman
View Profile
Elite user
Thousand Oaks, California
467 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I seem to have difficulty finding cardboard boxes for holding poker size playing cards. Off the shelf jewelry and gift boxes typically are too large or too small.

Long story short, I located this decent template on etsy which is perfect for holding poker size cards (and doing such sneaky things as card additions to deck via the lid). I post it here for any who have the same difficulty finding good templates:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/290658375/j......-1&pro=1

This photo shows my constructed box with some bridge size alphabet cards. I used 65 pound card stock I had on hand. It is a little flimsy but works. I suggest using 110 pound *cover* stock for a more sturdy box.

Click here to view attached image.
Thomas Henry
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Hi Phil,

That's great, and many thanks.

Here's a tip you might find useful. I too use 65 pound cardstock, but make it more long-lasting and thicker with a sheet of matte finish clear mailing label material affixed. I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Full-Sheet-Inkjet......y&sr=8-3

Here's how. Print the pattern, cut out and pre-fold everything. Then unfold it and lay everything flat again. Apply the sticky-back film and smooth down with a clean cotton handkerchief.

Now refold it and assemble as usual. (Applying the film after first pre-folding it is the only way to go for crisp edges).

For what it's worth, I make my own tuck/flap boxes for cards, dice and other stuff all the time. I usually print the cardstock to look like an educational game of some sort.

Thanks again,

Thomas Henry
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.
docguitarman
View Profile
Elite user
Thousand Oaks, California
467 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2019, Thomas Henry wrote:
Hi Phil,

That's great, and many thanks.

Here's a tip you might find useful. I too use 65 pound cardstock, but make it more long-lasting and thicker with a sheet of matte finish clear mailing label material affixed

For what it's worth, I make my own tuck/flap boxes for cards, dice and other stuff all the time. I usually print the cardstock to look like an educational game of some sort.

Thanks again,

Thomas Henry

Thanks Thomas for the tip on the clear labels. I'll give it try!

Phil
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1058 Posts

Profile of imgic
Iíve been working on making my own tuck card boxes. Iíve used matte finished photo paper. Itís heavy like card stock and being photo paper it gives it a nice finish. Seem to be holding up well...pretty durable.

My only problem is I havenít found good template for the box and am creating my own...and so far seem to be a bit too big and cards slide around.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2019, imgic wrote:
Iíve been working on making my own tuck card boxes. Iíve used matte finished photo paper. Itís heavy like card stock and being photo paper it gives it a nice finish. Seem to be holding up well...pretty durable.

My only problem is I havenít found good template for the box and am creating my own...and so far seem to be a bit too big and cards slide around.

What if you were to take a tuck box apart and trace the outline onto the paper stock you have? Cut out carefully and then use a straight edge to make your folds and creases then glue together?
If by chance it is a little on the loose side (front to back) glue or tape a non needed card to the inside to remove that extra slop.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1058 Posts

Profile of imgic
Iím trying to create them on computer so I can add graphics.

Searching online Iíd didnít find any simple tuck box outlines.

So I took apart a box, scanned it, then brought it into graphics program. Created outline then inserted graphics. Between the scan and creating outline the dimensions got off kilter. First box I made was about a centimeter too wide and half a centimeter too deep. But the height was perfect. Next one I over compensated and made it not deep enough, couldnít easily fit in 52 cards.

Iím not a professional graphic artist and not expert with my printer/scanner. So doing trial and error right now...
Thomas Henry
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Hello Imgic,

Perhaps the attachment below will save you some time. It's the artwork for a 52 poker sized card case. It's in Microsoft Word format, so you can lay on any graphics or lettering you want.

I have made dozens of these over the years, with some really fancy graphics, too!

This is the template proper. In the next post I'll attach the folding/cutting guide.

Thomas Henry

Click here to view/download attached file.
Thomas Henry
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
And here, attached, is the folding/cutting guide to go with it.

Thomas Henry

Click here to view/download attached file.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1058 Posts

Profile of imgic
Thomas. Thank you! Will play around with it tonight
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ The workshop Ľ Ľ Jewelry style Card boxes with lid (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL