We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Upscale Magic Theaters - How are they doing? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of thomasR
As a side note regarding marketing..... after I posted the above post where I typed "House of Cards" - I went to facebook and saw an ad for House of Cards. Facebook is watching.... always watching.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21845 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I think we may be going back in time to Vaudeville days. With the Internet and electronics keeping people at home, they want to get out for an evening and be around people and enjoy a different kinds of entertainment. Anything that does not involve a screen.

We have five or six old movie theaters in our city. Three were Vaudeville theaters. So far 3 have been renovated, the latest is popular band groups of all mixes of music. Why not be ready for people wanting to get out of the house for an evening.

History does repeat it itself, and those that recognize it will profit.

Much of the cost of renovation can be covered if the theater is marked as an historical building. It is a lot of work, but so many cities old theaters are being opened up again, that it is possible to meet the demand.

It may be time to get a stage act together, and set the close-up magic aside.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19593 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea no. The screens are here to stay. You are looking with wishful eyes at best.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea no. The screens are here to stay. You are looking with wishful eyes at best.

Agreed that the screens are here to stay. However Bill is right that I've noticed quite a few old theaters being restored in the last few years as historic landmarks.
Some of these theaters show vintage movies.

Now how to make a vintage magic / variety show that is super marketable and sells out performances... that's the secret I want to know! ha.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19593 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes but not enough of them to make a tour.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Could be a short tour!? Haha.

I think the trickier part about touring small theaters like that is they typically rent out to non-traditional renters like churches so that’s every wednesay, Sunday and maybe Saturday night rented to them. Or they rent out to community groups that build a set for a play so the theatre is basically in use by them for a month at a time.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19593 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea the tour thing is tough because they are not looking to pay, they are looking to rent.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Yes exactly. And they Are more of a community center than a theatre in how they operate usually.

But still... A great venue for a magic show if you can make it happen. Old theaters have a really neat charm to them.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19593 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea. I have a sure fire formula to end up with a small fortune after doing a tour like that.

First start with a large fortune.

Yes most once they are restored make great venues. I have done many of them throughout the mid-west and boy they are just great. But often as you said they operate like a community center. They have a committee, budgets and usually a "theory" on how they run. They do a "summer series" and so forth. To build a show specifically for that might be tough.

Mind you there IS money in it and if you can get to the right conventions (Every year in New York in January.) and make the right connections it IS good work. I am not saying it can't be done. Not by any means. It just can't be done the way most think it should be done.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Upscale Magic Theaters - How are they doing? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL