The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Subtlety for having Hopping Halves examined. (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
So, while I came up with this on my own, I will not at all be surprised if someone else has done this before.

It's a way to have the coins examined before 'Hopping Halves'.

So, the copper gimmick setup starts in the right pocket and the silver ] is in right hand finger palm. In your left hand is an ungimmicked copper and silver (or the shaved silver if it's not an expanded set).

You shake, jingle and display the coins in your open left hand, then hand out the silver coin for examination. You take it back and give out the copper, and as they are looking at the copper, you quietly nest the silver in the ] with your right hand and place it back on your open left palm.

Then, you explain the 'game'. You say, "If I take this copper coin out of my hand and put it in my pocket, what's left?" They say 'Silver' and you say "Good, just making sure you're paying attention". This is the perfect opportunity to switch the copper in your pocket. Proceed as normal from there!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Payner44
While your handling would work fine, I’m not so sure this trick needs initial examining since the audience doesn’t know what is about to happen and you end empty handed.
"I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why you're wrong!"
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
True, but it's barely any extra effort, and it adds another layer that eliminates an explanation. I think it only increases the mystery in this case!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
297 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
Save yourself the hassle and check out Mark Jenest’s Short Hop on his Miracles While You Wait DVD. It’s a more streamlined version of Hopping Halves.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Thanks for the tip.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I have a handling that starts out ungaffed !!! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Is that published somewhere? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Lately I've been using a Quiver. Instead of putting the coins in my pocket, I put them back in the Quiver and at the end dump out the two ungimmicked coins.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea It is in my Sound Routine Booklet ! ( That's the booklet on the Rattle gimmick !You can do it with out the R.G. You just don't get the sound sell) ! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:
So, while I came up with this on my own, I will not at all be surprised if someone else has done this before.

It's a way to have the coins examined before 'Hopping Halves'.

So, the copper gimmick setup starts in the right pocket and the silver ] is in right hand finger palm. In your left hand is an ungimmicked copper and silver (or the shaved silver if it's not an expanded set).

You shake, jingle and display the coins in your open left hand, then hand out the silver coin for examination. You take it back and give out the copper, and as they are looking at the copper, you quietly nest the silver in the ] with your right hand and place it back on your open left palm.

Then, you explain the 'game'. You say, "If I take this copper coin out of my hand and put it in my pocket, what's left?" They say 'Silver' and you say "Good, just making sure you're paying attention". This is the perfect opportunity to switch the copper in your pocket. Proceed as normal from there!

See this video:
https://youtu.be/kOHq6eGH4Rg

Darko
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Yes! I saw this after I thought of the above, but very similar. I'm a Tyler Rabbit fan for sure.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I just perform this effect with regular coins which makes things easier for me.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I second the suggestion for Mark Jenests short hop routine. Not only can you have the coins examined, youve got instant reset and they sound like real coins. A couple of tips. I use a shim copper silver coin for use with a magnetic hold out. And, instead of ending with an empty hand, I end with two jumbo coins, a jumbo copper and a jumbo silver. This is one of my strong workers.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
I use the Quiver purse.

Gaff coins in "secret side"
Duplicate penny and half-dollar in "open side"

Have the spectator open the purse to see what's inside.
Ask them to take out the coins, examine them, and replace.

When the purse it handed to the performer - with the purse still open - the change is made, and the "g.coins" taken out.

During the course of the routine the "g.coins" are replaced in the "secret side" again.
So when the spectator is asked to examine the purse, they find the 2 ungimmicked coins.
Gipstein
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
76 Posts

Profile of Gipstein
My only worry with having the spectator take them out of Quiver is that they might notice there are still coins inside???

I use Quiver as follows: I open and take out to regular coins and let them examine them. I replace them in the Quiver for a reason. My routine is about time travel and it's important that everyone see that we start with the two coins in the purse. I draw attention to this. I take out the 2 gaffed coins. I "put" one in my pocket. Then I say, " Now if we could go back in time — which of corse we cannot — but if we could go back, say, 15 seconds, then the coin wouldn't be in my pocket. It would be in my hand. I show the coin is back. I repeat this patter throughout the routine. For the last coin, which vanishes, I say: "Now we could do this all day, What if we went back, not 15 seconds but 3 minutes? Then the coins wouldn't be in my hand or my pocket, they'd be back in the purse where they started." I open the Quiver and dump out the real coins. This plays very well.

My only problem with this whole routine is the person who might ask what's in my pocket. That has happened. I try to move on to my next trick before anyone thinks to ask. Also, one of the Morgan shells got stuck on one of the other coins in my pocket and I had to drill into the shell to free it. Not really noticeable, but now I try to keep that shell separate.
Magic is where dreams become reality and reality becomes a dream.
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
@Last Laugh, I really like your method. Simple, clean, bulletproof. I don't normally let folks examine the coins but I'll give this a try; it would be a great follow-on from a one coin routine.

You have the silver coin out already; producing the copper, having them look at the coins, subtly ringing in the HH set and going into hopping halves feels much better than just bringing out the coins and going straight into the trick out of nowhere. Also, lots more opportunity for playing with the audience.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
@Last Laugh, I like it. Allowing the spectator to examine the coins in the beginning gives the final vanish even more impact.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2023, GJo wrote:
@Last Laugh, I like it. Allowing the spectator to examine the coins in the beginning gives the final vanish even more impact.

I have found it is even better to have them handle the coins with no hint they are "being examined."

The later ability to say "your coin" is enough.

MY favorite is having a spectator select coins from a basket of small objects for me to use.

It is easy to force a selection - "I need two coins of different color that are about the same size."
The main audience will not realize there are only two coins that meet that restriction.

However, I was prepared to perform something no matter what they selected - a ring, marble, button - whatever.

My "Twiddle Sleights" evolved from the need to switch in/out gaffs as the coins were handed to me.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of GJo
After having played around with @wulfiesmith's suggestion, I could not understand how the Quiver purse could be handed back to the performer while still open, and I thought it a bit strange for the spec to put the coins back in the purse. Why not simply hand them to the performer?

So, I went to Craig Petty's handling, in which he takes the gaffed coins from the Quiver at the beginning (showing the specs there are only two coins in the purse), performs the routine, then reveals the coins back in the Quiver at the end.

Seems cleaner, but I could be misinterpreting @wulfiesmith's explanation.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I agree it seems strange for the spect to put them back in. Part of it has to do with how much you want the spec to feel like they "handled" the purse, which makes it seem less suspicious. Craig tends to just make the purse unimportant so it doesn't need inspection.

The one I more frequently hear is having the spec open the purse at the end to take out the coins, but then there's some risk of the purse opening the wrong way. So handing it back and forth open would reduce that, but I agree it seems contrived and weird to hand around that way. It's likewise strange to put them back into take them out, though you could routine it as a "mistake" to justify why you needed to remove them again immediately.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3509 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I use a JOL Himber Coin Wallet. I remove my Digital Dissolve, which allows the coins to be handled by the spectator. The two coins are then vanished to reappear in the coin purse. Remove the HH coins and proceed with the HH routine. Yes, there is a little bit of something else that happens because they can then open the coin purse to find the coins have really returned.
I have it set this way since each is a separate trick and I do not need to follow through with the whole routine. I have the option to present either trick or both tricks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Subtlety for having Hopping Halves examined. (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL