The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help with Vernon reference (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Attilio
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
136 Posts

Profile of Attilio
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm looking for a Dai Vernon reference where he discusses the pass. Specifically the re-positioning of the left thumb from a vertical position along the side of the deck to a horizontal position across the deck. The purpose of this movement is to help cover the flash of the inner corner as the pass is being made.
I've been searching through my library, on-line, this forum, the conjuring archive and I can't seem to find the reference.
I know it isn't in any of his books....i remember it being included as an item in someone else's book. if anyone knows what I'm talking about or can point me to this reference, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks
Attilio
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic by Lewis Ganson features Vernon's tips on the Classic Pass. There is a picture showing the thumb across the pack. I don't have access to it right now to confirm the verbiage.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Attilio
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
136 Posts

Profile of Attilio
Hi Tortuga,

thanks for the response. I have Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic and unfortunately it isn't the reference I'm looking for. The one I'm after is in another book and not one of Vernon's. The article was a one-off contribution from what I can remember.

Thanks though.

Attilio
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
I remember Marlo mentions using the left thumb to hide the movement at the inner left corner when the two packets transpose during the action of the pass. I don't remember where Marlo mentions this. Anyone..........
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
I believe it is also mentioned in The Complete Works of Derek Dingle. The thumb is positioned at the left inner corner. I have the the book but cannot access it at this time to see if Vernon is mentioned.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Attilio
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
136 Posts

Profile of Attilio
Hi John,

I appreciate the response! I did some digging on www.conjuringarchive.com as soon as you mentioned Marlo, and in vol 4 of Marlo's Magazine, there is an article titled "A Tip on the Pass" the description reads "left thumb across inner end to avoid flash of moving packet" this is exactly what I'm looking for....the only problem is that I don't have Marlo's Magazine Vol 4 in my library...I know things like this can sometimes get published in multiple places, so now I'm wondering if this is the case and Vernon is tied into this idea somehow....I feel like its a tune caught in my brain, but I can't quite remember the actual song. thanks for the lead, I'll keep digging!

Hi Tortuga,

Thanks for the Derek Dingle thought....that was one of the first pass write-ups I checked (along with Krenzel, Kaufman, and Ouellet) when this all began, but not the article I'm looking for. Man, I get the feeling this is going to be an obscure source that I saw in passing...thank you for the help!
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2019, Attilio wrote:

I appreciate the response! I did some digging on www.conjuringarchive.com as soon as you mentioned Marlo, and in vol 4 of Marlo's Magazine, there is an article titled "A Tip on the Pass" the description reads "left thumb across inner end to avoid flash of moving packet" this is exactly what I'm looking for....the only problem is that I don't have Marlo's Magazine Vol 4 in my library...I know things like this can sometimes get published in multiple places, so now I'm wondering if this is the case and Vernon is tied into this idea somehow....I feel like its a tune caught in my brain, but I can't quite remember the actual song. thanks for the lead, I'll keep digging!

Just checked and you might find this is a dead end. Marlo acknowledges the thumb across the deck as being a previously-known idea.

His contribution has the left thumb across the deck, but further towards the bottom (where the right thumb touches the deck) in order to further hide the flash.

There is no mention of Vernon.
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
I don't have it on me at the moment, but I seem to remember that in Aaron Fisher's Paper Engine he mentions a tip about the pass from Vernon that Larry Jennings showed him. I'll have to look this up when I get a chance.

Perhaps this is what you're referring to? Do you have that book?

Yehuda
Attilio
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
136 Posts

Profile of Attilio
Hey Kimura,

Thanks for taking the time to check that out for me!

Attilio

Quote:
On Sep 5, 2019, Kimura wrote:

Just checked and you might find this is a dead end. Marlo acknowledges the thumb across the deck as being a previously-known idea.

His contribution has the left thumb across the deck, but further towards the bottom (where the right thumb touches the deck) in order to further hide the flash.

There is no mention of Vernon.
Attilio
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
136 Posts

Profile of Attilio
Hi Yehuda,

yes I have Paper Engine.... that may be it! My copy of this book is currently with a friend of mine, so I'll need to get it back to check....if you happen to remember where in the book the reference is, please let me know.....Thank you! I'll keep you posted .

Thanks again!

Attilio

Quote:
On Sep 5, 2019, Yehuda wrote:
I don't have it on me at the moment, but I seem to remember that in Aaron Fisher's Paper Engine he mentions a tip about the pass from Vernon that Larry Jennings showed him. I'll have to look this up when I get a chance.

Perhaps this is what you're referring to? Do you have that book?

Yehuda
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
Shoot... I looked it up. It's a tip on the Half Pass that Jennings passed on to him from Vernon, mentioned in the middle of his explanation of the Gravity Half Pass. Not the Classic Pass...

Maybe you're misremembering that tip as something you read credited to Vernon. I've had many times where I'm so sure I read something somewhere (and I generally have a good memory for things I read) and eventually I realize that it was a different move that was referenced, or that the detail is different than how I'm remembering it, etc.

So maybe part of your brain is remembering the Paper Engine tip on the Half Pass (or from somewhere else) and another part has heard the tip on the Classic Pass and therefore you're remembering it as Vernon's tip on the Classic Pass. Kind of like how sure I was when I read your Q and I posted that I was pretty sure it was in Paper Engine.

Just a thought...

Yehuda
Attilio
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
136 Posts

Profile of Attilio
Hi Yehuda,

Thanks for checking it out for me. maybe I'm misremembering, but I'm not sure. I also remember photos (as opposed to line drawings) of the hand position as well....ah well, I'll keep poking away at this puzzle for a bit longer and if I come up empty, I'll simply chalk it up to a brain glitch as you suggested.

Thanks again!

Attilio
Attilio
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
136 Posts

Profile of Attilio
A-HA!

I found it!!! Yehuda, you were partially correct, I was misremembering where I saw this...it wasn't in a book at all it was on Earl Nelson's Lost Tapes Vol 1 (yes, I get the irony of this Smile ). so its right after the part where he teaches the classic pass. He then goes on to explain the Vernon tip of moving the left thumb. Whew! mystery solved.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Attilio
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Help with Vernon reference (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL