The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ninja Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I just started performing this routine after much practice and am wondering how it would go over at a kids birthday party.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I have the Ninja Rings and I used to know Shoot's routine with them (haven't done the routine in about a year, so I'm sure I've forgotten it by now).

I am sure with the right patter, the routine would play well for a small audience. If it's a small birthday party, say 6-10 kids, it would probably be fine. I am picturing my party I did yesterday, about 36 in one big family room, and I can see how a bigger crowd would be tough with those smaller Ninja Rings. A bigger crowd would be especially bad when it comes to the tabled moves. For that matter, even a smaller crowd might not be able to see and appreciate the tabled moves in that full routine.

To give the bigger crowds a better view, you could just move in closer for that particular routine, but I would think the kids would start to circle around you if you got to close to them, all of them trying to get the best view. And then you would encounter some angle problems.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I moved around from spot to spot when I did it.
I also don't do any of the tabled stuff for two reasons.

The one you state.
There might not be a table upon occassion.

Thanks,
Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
The only thing I could see wrong with these is that they are small. But, if you do closeup with them, then all the best.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
581 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I haven't performed with them yet but I think they would go over well in a living room show, or any show where the audience is small and close.
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of T.House
I have used the Dan Fleshman version of this routine for years at restaurants, and the kids love it as much as the adults. They are especially impresssed when someone holds the sides of one ring while they link.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Frank:

I've been working on my Ninja routine on-and-off for about a year now. I recently tried them out at a birthday party, and the routine went very well. Kids really do like visual magic like the rings. I even got the rings to link on my first attempt at the one-handed block link!

I have both the Dan Fleshman and Shoot routines, and do a hybrid routine; like you, I took out the table moves.

Ron
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1774 Posts

Profile of SIX
I think the rings are great. A friend of mine left me speechless after he did them - they were so clean. If you do it as good as he does, these will leave the audience with their jaws on the floor.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
581 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I've only been working with them for three months, so I haven't performed them for anyone but my daughters, who know how rings work, and they still couldn't believe it. The blocked link looks so good I fool myself with it.
Sociomagi
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Sociomagi
Ninja Rings have to be great for children.

Don't kids like ninjas?

Back when I was a kid, many years ago, ninjas weren't as popular.

I would do them for kids.

Peter Goode
Belief is the biggest step man can make!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Can somebdy explain about the nija rings are they mini linking rings?
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2119 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Yup, close up linking rings. About 4 inches in diameter. They're very magical. For me they're so much more amazing than a stage ring routine. Check out Shoot Ogawa's handling, it's excellent.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I might purchase some for older kids table hopping, I don't think I would do them at kids parties though
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of Quentin
I think the Ninja rings is an excellent routine and could easily be adapted to birthday parties. I've seen Shoot Ogowa perform this at his lecture and also in a living room with people all around.

There is tons of scope for audience interaction and bits of business. The smaller rings allow for moves not possible with the larger rings.

It will take some practice to get the routine off smoothly which will make it all the more worthwhile for those who will take the time to learn it.

It is also terrific for strolling close-up.

I recommend it very highly and you can use the 4" rings found (quite cheaply) in magic shops.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Is this quentin renolds?

Is their anything diffrent between these rings and normal rings apart from the size?
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello Matt:

The Ninja Rings are just regular linking rings - nothing specail except for their size. You can buy the gold-plated Ninja rings for about $50.00, or you can get a cheaper set from any dealer for less than $10.00. The routine is what is so special - there are some moves/links/unlinks done that are astonishing!

Ron
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
196 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Ninja Rings and variations of Shoot's routine are great for kids. Usually kids would have seen a magician with rings on stage at some point in there lives. Now your giving them the chance to see it close-up. I get right in front of them when I do it.

B.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
There is a distinct difference between the actual ninja rings and other smaller rings. The key is a bit bigger and the ends of the key are rounded making the moves MUCH easier.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Do you put a patter to this at kids parties?
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
196 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Matt,
I do the rings to music...one of the themes from out of africa. The kids are silent. It's the proximity to them that counts.

Regards,
Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ninja Rings (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL