The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Big bang theory (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Was there published mention of how they handled Teller's voice on the show?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

He was on a few episodes of the last season. And it looked like they cut away every time he spoke. So I was wondering who did the voice. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
My guess is it is Teller's voice but disguised in some way.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Teller is one of the few people allowed a single-name on his American passport.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
A pal of ours whos first name is Prince gets the Royal treatment.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I saw Teller speak a couple of times on BBT. In his first appearance, his wife (Kathy Bates) is constantly cutting him off as he's about to respond to a question. Near the end, she freaks out because the wedding is late, certain that Sheldon has run out on her daughter. (Actually, both of them have had a science breakthrough, and are in the back writing equations!) As she tells her husband to get up, they're going to get Amy and leave, Penny lashes into her that she's NOT going to ruin this day for Amy and she should shut up and sit down! Stunned, she looks at her husband and says; "Say something!" In a voice, raspy from lack of use, Teller looks at Penny and says; "Thank you."

There are two other episodes; one, he's supposed to be checking on Amy and Sheldon's apartment while they're on their honeymoon, he moved in completely to get away from his wife! In the other, Sheldon is trying to bond with him, but he's more interested in Howard and his cheezy magic tricks. In both cases, he speaks with no cut aways.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Hi Ed, did you watch the last season? It seemed like a running gag with cut-away during that character's moment of speaking.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I only saw him in the two episodes, we saw him speak both times.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Hmmm wish I kept them on the cable/PVR. Okay, I'll keep a watch for season 12 on reruns.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I have clamped my hands over my mouth. Having been accused of "pontificating" here on the Café, and having no desire to do so, I shall simply say that I choose to support the opinion of Pope Francis on the matter of Big Bang and Evolution.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 4, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

For example look at 0:17 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arzVssxTuuc whose voice?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

The question, about a TV character's voice, is about listening. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Okay, and his voice?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
"Teller almost never speaks while performing. There are exceptions, such as when the audience is not aware of it; for example, he provided the voice of "Mofo the psychic gorilla" in their early Broadway show with the help of a radio microphone cupped in his hand."

"Teller plays himself, with voice, in Showtime's Dice season 2, episode 4.[23] He also appeared in the season 11 finale of CBS's The Big Bang Theory as Amy's father. Throughout the show, he is prevented from speaking by his wife, played by Kathy Bates. Once Penny shuts her down, however, Teller tells her (albeit in a whisper) "Thank you." In the first episode of season 12 he participates in dialogues normally."

See Voice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teller_(magician)#Voice

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

For example look at 0:17 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arzVssxTuuc whose voice?

Why wouldn't that be Teller's voice? He's NOT appearing as "Teller" the magician, he's appearing as Amy's father.
The joke (and the charm) of casting him was in the fact that in his FIRST appearance (the wedding) he's cut off from speaking for 90% of the episode by his wife (Kathy Bates). But he does get two words at the end of that episode, and whenever he's seen without his wife, he appears to speak normally.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
In the clip, Teller sounds pretty much just like I remember him sounding at the last convention I met him at.

FWIW, this article confirms he spoke in the 2018 season finale. And those (or at least most) of us who watched the following season, know he spoke in his appearances there as well.

https://ew.com/tv/2018/05/10/big-bang-th......tribute/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I thought it was his voice on the clip and don’t know why it wouldn’t be.
I’m not sure that many outside of magic would think anything about him speaking.

Tom
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 23, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
I thought it was his voice on the clip and don’t know why it wouldn’t be.
P&T have pulled voice switches before. It seemed like their kind of prank. Smile So I asked.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Big bang theory (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL