The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Recently I was asked to perform but I turned down (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
2bunik
View Profile
New user
texas
27 Posts

Profile of 2bunik
I was asked to perform to an audience of 200 people. I turned down the offer, not because of money but because I don't feel I have the effects down to the standards to which they should be. I know enough effects for a small 25 to thirty minute show maybe longer if the patter is there. Was I wrong?
the world is flat
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
If they aren't down then don't perform.

Simple as that. But it wouldn't have hurt to have done a few things. I highly suggest that next time you come across this opportunity, TAKE IT.

This past weekend I pretty much learned NEVER to turn down a chance to perform. You might have someone watching that can help you out later in life...

Chris
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Are they really not down? Or are you just being hard on yourself? I have had to ask myself this question a few times. I'd hate to think you missed out on a possibly great experience due to a lack of confidence. How did you get offered this gig? They obviously saw something in you, right?

Then again, it takes a big man to admit that he's not ready. Many would have just taken the gig and then flubbed it horribly. Only you really know yourself.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
You are not wrong.

You were right, and well done. I know many people who would have attempted a performance without the proper skills.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4370 Posts

Profile of rannie
Now that you know opportunities like this will be knocking on your door, better prepare. Its time to take it to the next level. Not everybody gets an offer like that. You must have been doing pretty good stuff to get a gig like that.

Good luck!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
2bunik
View Profile
New user
texas
27 Posts

Profile of 2bunik
I practice every chance I get and everywhere I go. I once did it to get free bowling. (an example.) I did two card monte at the bowling alley to the owner. He saw me do an effect for my friends and asked if he could see. I jokingly told him only if we could bowl for free. He said only if he was impressed. So I did two card monte. I got him every time. I then did card warp and got him good on both effects. So we bowled for free. Ever since that day my friends tell their friends about me. Since we live on an air force base I got pretty popular with a few people. So anyway, a guy I don't normally hang around with asked me to perform at a fair he was setting up. He knows I practice a lot and could do it if I really wanted to. But I turned it down.

I think I am hard on myself. I guess but I never thought about that. How would you know if you are hard on yourself? Okay everytime I do an effect for people I get great reactions. I just don't think I have slieghts down right. OK an example would be my glide, (Very simple to do) I learned it about 6 years ago and have one effect that still holds my record for bst reactions and all it takes is the glide. I think it's because I have done it for so long that I've gotten the patter and handling down pat. But I sometimes don't want to perform that effect because I feel the glide alone isn't done as perfect as I would like. Simple things like this are things that bother me.
Maybe it is me trying to perfect sleights even though everything else in life doesn't have to be perfect. So I am not a perfectionist.
the world is flat
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Year from now you can join the long line of people in the "If I'da" club.

Or missing your big bread in your life.

For most people that ship only passes in the nite once.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I would have given it serious thought, and if, after heavy contemplation, I felt that I didn't have the required skill sets mastered... I would have sat my a$$ down and mastered them!

200 people is a nice gig. Plenty of $$, and best of all plenty of battle scars and experience to help you grow your art. Definitely prepare yourself should the opportunity arise again. If it does (besides being very lucky) you should do your best to do the gig. If you feel that you haven't mastered certain effects, do something else that you have got a bead on.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
2bunik
View Profile
New user
texas
27 Posts

Profile of 2bunik
Thanks for your comments. I will be sure to take up the chance if it comes up again. (I hope it does.) I have now set goals for what effects to master asap. I also have written down a couple of effects which I feel will transition nicely into each other. And as for patter, I am trying to make it so all the effects have kind of the same theme behind them, if you get my drift. I still wonder about that gig. I think it is going in the memory bank along with the z28 I didn't buy back in 1998.
the world is flat
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I feel you did the right thing. Got to follow your heart, always.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
magicmonkeyphoto
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyphoto
If you were going to do walk around for 200 people, wouldn't you just do the same 15-20 minutes of magic over and over again for each group? For that many people, you probably wouldn't have had time to do more than 5 minutes per small group. If I did my math correctly, and you did 5 minutes for groups of 5 people at a time, then you would have had to perform for about 3.5 hours just to get to everyone. That gives you an oportunity to just do your best stuff and move on to another group.

Lincoln
http://www.lincolnworld.com/products -- For high end mentalist utility devices, ideas, and props for professionals and serious hobbyists. You can follow me on Instagram @Lincolnworldmagic and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LincolnWorldWatchers
TheHungryMagician
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TheHungryMagician
Only you are a good judge for yourself. Turning something like that down is hard to do. If you feel confident, go for it, but don't be overconfident.
Forever starving,
Smile Hungry Smile
Oz Fan
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Oz Fan
Very wise decision. You knew you weren't ready. I think you did the right thing.

-Blake-
Blake S.
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
172 Posts

Profile of magia355
Good for you, you have made the right decision. Now, it's time to practice and prepare so other oportunities don't pass you by. I had a few friends (I will not mentioned names or place where they live), that for a few bucks will perform no matter how bad they are, even though other magicians tried to persuade then not to.
On the other hand, give yourself credit, sometimes we are to hard on ourselves and believe we are never good enough.
GOOD LUCK
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
If your not up to performing for 200+ people then don't! But don't turn it down either ... just explain that "I don't have materials suitable for a presentation that large, but I would love to do some strolling/walk-around magic for smaller groups over the course of the evening". I don't know the details of the event, but I'm assuming there would have been an oppurtunity before the show ... or perhaps there was a dinner before the show?

Then, start working on it ... check for open mike nights at comedy clubs and Café's and bars ... many times, you can talk your way onto the stage during a karoke night. Work out 3-5 minutes of solid material. Once you've got that down pat, build up another 3-5 minute routine. Keeping working on new matieral like this ... modular routines that you can stack together into a "show" format. Once people see that you've got your routines down, they will let you do more time.

That way ... the next time you get such an oppurtunity, you will be ready able and willing to do it!
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
#1magician
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of #1magician
That was a good descision, but make sure you master those moves so that you can do a show for 200 people next time.
i dont call 911, i simpily perform the bullet catch and than point the bullet at them and ask if they care to try.
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
May I ask - what is the two card monte? Could anyone PM me with the details?
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
Mogwai II
View Profile
Veteran user
The Alpes
314 Posts

Profile of Mogwai II
I think JoeJoe is right. Just do what you're able to. If that's strolling arround, so do that. In the end, people don't care if you stood on the stage or if you did the magic right under their nose. Which they'll probably remember better.

Good luck next time!
"You'll wonder when he comes, you'll wonder more when he's gone..."
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
I think you definitely did the right thing!! Whenever I let an opportunity pass me by, I try to make up for it by taking on something else with similar benefits. Maybe you could take the time now to market your current magic, while (as others said) preparing and practicing for future engagements like the one you were offered. Whatever you do, don't feel bad and don't focus on what you've missed out on. Focus on what you should do now to promote your act, improve your techniques, etc.

All my best to you,

Angela

I think you definitely did the right thing!! Whenever I let an opportunity pass me by, I try to make up for it by taking on something else with similar benefits. Maybe you could take the time now to market your current magic, while (as others said) preparing and practicing for future engagements like the one you were offered. Whatever you do, don't feel bad and don't focus on what you've missed out on. Focus on what you should do now to promote your act, improve your techniques, etc.

All my best to you,

Angela
cardician17821
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of cardician17821
I feel your pain, I was just asked to perform at a childrens party and the offer was good but I had to refuse, that is just not my specialty, but it got me going to learn new effects geared toward the younger audience!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Recently I was asked to perform but I turned down (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL