The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Coming Soon - Totally Free Will by Mark Chandaue (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Hey Duster yes the Chandaulopes are in Harpacrown but they weren’t called that then. Barry Fazackerley gave them that name and it has stuck. Contact me on Facebook about the coin thing and I will gladly Skype you and walk you through it. Hard to give a page count before this is formatted and the illustrations are in but I am estimating this at between 120 and 180 pages. It has slightly grown since I posted with another contribution by Drew Backenstoss and one by Mick Wilson so there should be 14 versions.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
I was given a chance to look over a few chapters and here are my thoughts.

I've seen Mark here and know of his work, but this is my first exposure to it. If you want the fast version, his stuff is good and workable. I don't need to tell most of you that as he has a good reputation, and now that I've read his work, I see why. So let's get to it.

Mark is clever. I can't go into too much detail as each effect involves the free will principle which you already know this is about, it's the "what and how" of each effect that matters, so let's just say it's great thinking. Phedon is spot on. Now, I know it's cliche, but again, some of these are "why didn't I think of it" solutions. Then again, I never gave it much thought and don't count myself a creator. So it's nice that guys like Mark can bring us effects that have gone through several iterations and passed the test "out there" (which he has, and does) to give us finished products to use and think about. He's funny (dry wit, I like his style) and clever both. I think guys like him (creators) "see" in their minds eye the flow of effects and how they should go, then most likely backtrack how to get there, and hopefully do it smoothly and not just to get to use a method they favor. I think he does it well. He takes the principle of free will and opens it up with smart thinking.

The three I read require more than simply being able to perform when paying for your gas (yes, sometimes when it's not busy, I try something with the attendant--usually involves Rainbow by Higar or DFB). In other words, these three at least are more situational as you need stuff, more than you'd have on you in the above situation. But I don't think it was meant otherwise, anyway. I just mention it because "Will to Read" for example, lives in my wallet.

Having said all that, let me try to delve at least a little into the effects and methods themselves to give it a shot.

Totally Three Will
I have not made this up (you need to do a minimal "something" for this), and at first glance I didn't know if I would because I'm lazy. Having said that (and being very impressed with his other two chapters) I went back and read it and plan to do so. It's a Free Will method for multiple outs using your business cards showing you either predicted or influenced their decisions. I had to read through it slowly to get the idea for the makeup and think it's best to have things in hand as you do so (but no, it's not complicated at all and I don't want to give that impression, I'm just slow). What I like is that it really is fair for the spectator, you really can let them make decisions comfortably and still be right (which I guess is the point for all of these) without any ambiguity.

Free Balling
This is fairly straightforward, and I love the simplicity of it. There is a moment which requires a little thought and rehearsal to make it go smoothly in a few situations. I enjoy methods like this as it involves (or may involve) subtle boldness and thinking fast depending on how your spectator chooses. Not difficult, just minor rehearsal to be proficient. I don't see this as a heavy-hitter as a standalone unless you provide great context (are you simply predicting? Influencing? What effects are you doing around it to showcase the kind of skill you're doing? He does mention this too), but that goes for many presentations of with principles like this. You're left to provide context and story It's fairly hands-off, and you require just one thing really for it to work besides what you might have around you (nothing big, justified, but needed for method).

Free to Rock
This was my favorite. Mark told me it was his as well, although he said it wasn't necessarily the strongest in the book. I can see why he likes it, and I can see it playing pretty strong in my own opinion (and it got me the most excited). Just know the routine as it's presented uses a gimmick, and it's something I don't have or intend to get, so I haven't tried this out either. That being said, he presented an alternative to use in a message to me which made me very happy, as I own what's needed to use to make this a winner. This is great. And it's simple. He's even fooled quite knowledgeable people with it (the routine above included). I'm so lucky he shared this with me. Yee-haw baby!

Well done Mark... I can see what the fuss is about. He's a stud.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Mark was also kind enough to send me a preview. I have been doing Free Will in my close up and parlor shows for years and I will definitely use one or two of his ideas.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2019, Nathan Alexander wrote:
That being said, he presented an alternative to use in a message to me which made me very happy, as I own what's needed to use to make this a winner. This is great. And it's simple. He's even fooled quite knowledgeable people with it (the routine above included). I'm so lucky he shared this with me. Yee-haw baby!

Nathan, speaking for many of us, I hope the bit he shared with you will also be in the book...

Seth
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
The bit I shared will not be in the book because it is in someone else’s book. Not wanting to give anything away. That particular routine uses a gimmick that many have that makes the effect 100% surefire. However you could use a published propless method for that part of the method if you are familiar with the propless method. I do mention the source but I do not teach the method. The propless method is neither mine to teach nor the way that I perform the effect. I use the gimmick described in the chapter. Of the 14 versions in the book 2 versions use this gimmick.

All require some sort of item although in most cases that something is readily available such as the item that Nathan refers to in his review for the free balling effect is a small opaque bag. Small velvet bags are available from Amazon for pennies. At least one of the contributions from other creators could be performed impromptu but I create things to work rather than for casual performances and so my criteria for creating is it has to be practical, sure fire, easy to carry and reset quickly. Any procedure involved must be completely logical and justified.

Whilst I carry the title effect Totally Free Will everywhere I go I had to do a one time setup involving some arts and crafts in order to be able to perform this at the drop of a hat with an instant reset. However the reward for those arts and crafts is completely free choices and an unambiguous prediction that is in play from the start. For this particular version you need some paper, a pen and a ruler to do the setup. Other versions all you require is some business cards.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Thanks for that explanation, Mark--makes total sense. Smile

Seth
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
884 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
However the reward for those arts and crafts is completely free choices and an unambiguous prediction that is in play from the start.

Mark

Absolutely.... No funny business. Completely free choices, they can change their mind, and all the performer has to do is enjoy the moment and concentrate on presentation.

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3236 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Mark kindly sent me three of the chapters a little while ago but, having been on holiday, this is my first chance to comment.

Nathan has already given a great review of these chapters and I thoroughly enjoyed reading and digesting the material. Mark not only writes well but the material is well illustrated and with the instructions (and those important little touches) excellent. Also, as I read, I marveled at the versatility of some of the effects and idea given for a multiple out device. This could be useful in many different ways.

With contributions from other mentalists, Totally Free Will is going to be a major and much appreciated publication and, having read a small part, eagerly await its publication.

It also occurred to me that along with a Free Will type routine you could combine it with a Green Neck effect so having two virtually impromptu pieces follow on from each other. As I told Mark, having the sometimes small items needed for these Totally Free Will routines is like carrying a miracle in your pocket.

Definitely a book and release to look out for.

Neil
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Mark kindly sent me 3 chapters of his forthcoming book too .
I loved all 3 chapters and it would be very difficult to say which was best .
This is purely because they are all wonderfully and logically scripted .
The teaching and attention to details are an absolute joy to read .
Anyone who has Harpacrown will know that Marks enthusiasm is not only contagious but very real and very funny .
I cannot wait to see all the chapters as these 3 alone are top notch .
You will all love these chapters differently as they are so good and hard to split .
However I will put my neck on the line and give my personal preference in order and also the why .

1st Free to Rock , because I have a certain gimmick ( although not a necessity ) and I also love Mick Wilson’s subtlety .
2nd Free balling , as so simple yet so so devious and impossible to back track .
3rd Totally free will , brilliant and only 3rd because it requires minimal arts and crafts . That’s lazy on my part but I wanted to give an order of preference .

Free to Rock only gets the nod because I have the gimmick and because of Mick’s subtlety otherwise I would slightly give Free balling the edge .
It truly is incredibly close and it’s not a case of one mans meat is another mans poison .
It’s a case of one mans chateaubriand is another mans fillet steak with this .

If you don’t eat meat it’s the vegan , vegetarian comparison .
Quality versus quality imo , I look forward very much to the completed project .
If you love the plot it’s a no brainer imho .
Best wishes Gaz 🙂
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Looks like a significant contribution to our art. My credit card is poised.

George
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Thanks for the reviews guys. No matter how confident you are in you material you are never quite sure how it will be received by others. Its always a bit nerve wracking waiting for the first reviews especially as I know Gaz doesn’t pull his punches when he reviews stuff.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I just want to clarify that this is a book about the free will effect, it’s not a book on the free will principle. Of course the free will principle is used in some of the effects but it is not the focus of the book. Whilst there is a fair bit of diversity in both method and presentation between the effects, each effect is at its core the free will effect. However not all look like the free will effect to the untrained eye.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2019, The Duster wrote:

I look forward to seeing this book. I guess it's around 100 pages [?] and if it's harsign it should be a very nice thing to behold

Still hard to give an exact page count but based on similar size and layout to Harpacrown I would expect it to be between 200 - 240 pages. The current word count is a little over 30,000 words and over 50 illustrations and quite a few photo’s. I am waiting for the foreword and contributions from 3 other people so the word count will grow.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
984 Posts

Profile of jbadman
REALLY looking forward to this book, Mark. It's an awesome effect/plot and I love books that focus on something like this does.

Make sure it's ready before The Session!
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2019, Mark_Chandaue wrote:

Whilst I carry the title effect Totally Free Will everywhere I go I had to do a one time setup involving some arts and crafts in order to be able to perform this at the drop of a hat with an instant reset. However the reward for those arts and crafts is completely free choices and an unambiguous prediction that is in play from the start. For this particular version you need some paper, a pen and a ruler to do the setup. Other versions all you require is some business cards.
Mark

This effect, Totally Free Will, was my favorite of the three in the chapters Mark kindly sent. The "arts and crafts" prep isn't long or daunting, and as some have noted, the resulting item can be adapted to many multiple-out routines -- it's very clever.

Mark has a lot of fun in the presentation for Free to Rock; it does require carrying an extra item you might not always have. Free Balling is well thought out, but for me isn't quite as clear and direct as I'd prefer.

I'll definitely be making and using Totally Free Will, though.

Thanks, Mark, for letting Café members have a look at your ideas, and best with the final publication!
Jerry
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I must admit that now I have actually made up Totally Free Will ( it’s dead easy ) it’s even harder to split the 3 routines I reviewed .
The total fact that there is no ambiguity makes this super super clean .
Best wishes Gaz 🙂
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Thanks for the review Jerry. I must admit that I will have to review how I have written up free balling because in performance it is very clear cut and direct. This hits quite hard when I lecture it to magicians because of how clean it appears. Whilst I have lectured Totally Free Will in the past Free Balling is the one that is included in my current lecture because it goes down so well with magicians with very little setup and an instant reset for the explanation.

The effect of free balling is that three coloured balls are placed on the table, the participant either selects two of the balls, hands one to you with the other being rejected, or they pick up two, leaving the remaining one for you and then reject one of the two they picked up. Those are the two ways the selection process can play out. They are then given the choice to swap their ball for yours.

You then reveal your prediction that unequivocally states which item you have, which the participant has and which was rejected. The participant opens the prediction every time and there is no ambiguity. Also the prediction is in play from the start although no attention is drawn to it.

I suspect that the detail I have included in the selection process and how you manage it may create the illusion that the effect appears more involved than it actually is. I may revise that chapter and possibly include flow charts to make the explanation more clear cut.

Totally Free Will is of course the title effect of the book and so in many ways what I personally consider the best effect in the book although some may prefer some of the other versions as the contributions are of an incredibly high standard. Steve Drury’s is beautiful and so is Drew Backenstoss’ and likewise for Stephen Young’s. In fact I am sure that some will prefer one of the contributions.

If you like the free will plot there will definitely be a version in the book for you.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I have now added flow charts where appropriate for the visual learners.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
RodrigoGrando
View Profile
Loyal user
Pennsylvania
226 Posts

Profile of RodrigoGrando
Hi Mark,
Any idea on the release date?
Thanks!
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I am hoping to have this out in November. I’m waiting for the foreword and two of the contributions other than that it is all written and being proof read as we speak. I expect to have the print ready file within the next couple of weeks and then it will go of to Haresign for printing.

I am very happy with how this is turning out. Despite the price this will be a premium book.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Coming Soon - Totally Free Will by Mark Chandaue (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL