The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Complete Derren Brown Forum...? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2004-06-01 18:49, bobser wrote:
may I ask what you think Derren's got that you haven't?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A British accent for one, plus a bald spot. Oh, wait I have one of those!

Nathan Pain
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Shrink,

You promised you wouldn't open any more threads with Derren's name in it. You promised !
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Quote:
On 2004-06-01 18:49, bobser wrote:
And if so, may I ask what you think Derren's got that you haven't?

Two words: Marketing savvy. It enabled Derren to convince TV executives to trust him with a "six-figure budget" and to provide him with a "40-man squad" of magicians and world-class experts. Once Derren sold the program to the network's top brass, the TV shoots, with all the retakes and post production work and editing, were all child's play.

Looks easy watching from the balcony seat, but it's probably blood, sweat and tears for Derren over the years before he could snag a juicy TV contract like that.

Leo
Manila, Philippines
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
So, if you're correct, Leo, the answer is 'marketing savvy'. But if THAT'S true, then Andrew O'Conner (producer)is the real star. And you know what? You might just be on the money!

But seriously, you get my point guys? You don't enter the big room, not with all the marketing savvy in the world. It's a bit like Free Masonry, someone has to invite you in.

And even then you have to keep your hands over your ***** in case some exec wants to paint 'em black for f****k sakes!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2004-06-01 22:47, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
Shrink,

You promised you wouldn't open any more threads with Derren's name in it. You promised !

He is nearly over now so things should die down soon. This might be my last chance to irritate you Derren clones..

DERREN DERREN DERREN......did I say DERREN?
francisco
View Profile
Loyal user
Coolest guy in the café
267 Posts

Profile of francisco
Shrink, wot a naive boy.
'When you steal one trick, they call it plagiarism. When you steal many - they call it research.'

[Corinda, 13 steps to mentalism]
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I think Shrink should wear a box on his head.
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Quote:
On 2004-06-01 21:25, shrink wrote:
He also has a bad twitch which has been well covered on TV. It's obvious every 15 seconds or so when you see him live.

Do you mean his short, sharp, downward nod of the head?
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
I agree with shrink. Derren is going the same way Blaine went. Going..going...GONE.

Howard
unklepaul
View Profile
New user
hemel hempstead, uk
84 Posts

Profile of unklepaul
It was Jerry Sadowitz who recommended Derren Brown. Apparently they were looking for a new magician, and Jerry said "this guy's good".
om mani padme hum
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
I don't understand the "clone" business. How does interest in the only accessible mentalist to British lay people (and some magicians) make everyone clones?
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Thank you, Beetroot! I'm interested in the ladies, but that doesn't mean I wear a bra!

Nathan Pain
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Chuckle Smile
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
'unklepaul', that's correct. It was Sadowitz who recommended Derren. Before that I believe Andy Nyman was the man they were after, but he wasn't interested. The point is, the programme can be written and all that's necessary is to get someone who can deliver the lines/script/presentation, etc.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
MesmerEyes
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
63 Posts

Profile of MesmerEyes
Look at it this way. With all of these Derren posts being made now, when he comes over here to the USA and we start asking questions, you can just keep referencing us to these old posts.

You'll be able to save your typing energy for other things such as what program we Yanks are inflicting on the rest of the world at that time. ;-)
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
It's so funny how different we Westerners are from the Eastern approach to art. In the East, a serious artist MUST have others that they admire, respect, idolize and learn from. Here, if we do, we're somehow unoriginal, uninspired mindless sheep.

Those who dislike the admiration shown here for Derren Brown should tell us whom they do feel that way about. If the answer is that they don't idolize or admire any other magician, and think that we should all be spontaneously original islands of magic, I don't really trust them that much as serious students of the art.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Joshua has hit the figurative nail on the head!

Nathan Pain
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
In the east you apprentice with a master. You ask for permission to study and you provide services in exchange for their guidance. This is different from watching a video over and over again and taking someone's work without their blessing, no?
Babymagician
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Babymagician
Salsa_dancer, may I ask who created this gif?

Very funny!
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-06-03 00:30, Babymagician wrote:
Salsa_dancer, may I ask who created this gif?

Very funny!

I am not sure who created, obviously someone with too much time on their hands... like this person...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Complete Derren Brown Forum...? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL