The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » What makes a hypnosis show? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Because most hypnotists in the 21st century have moved past that age old paradigm.

So what would be the current one?
monkeycat
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of monkeycat
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
I know this might come across as a stupid question, but I can't get it out of my head.

What defines a "hypnosis show"?

Is it simply that hypnosis is the ubiquitous method of entertainment? Meaning - the show is 100% based on hypnosis.

Is it hypnosis being the main method of entertainment? Meaning - The show includes things that are not hypnosis, but 60% or more is hypnosis?

Is it that the theme of the show is hypnosis and it includes genuine hypnosis? Meaning - less than, say, 30% of the show is actual, genuine hypnosis, but the whole show is themed around hypnosis.

Does it require comedy?

This is why I'm stuck on the question -

I don't like the vast majority of "comedy hypnosis" shows I've seen. No disrespect to those performers, it's just not my thing. I don't want to do a "comedy hypnosis show" but I really do want to develop a show that is based around hypnosis.

But marketing gets tricky. This isn't the tricky business section so I don't necessarily want to delve into that aspect - but at what point should one market the show as "a hypnosis show"? Or what other term should be used if one doesn't intend to do a comedy show?

Personally, and I don't know if this is the common mentality, if I hear "hypnosis show" I automatically assume it's a comedy hypnosis show. I feel like most people have more or less combined those terms in their mind and thus, advertising a "hypnosis show" would make the audience assume they are going to see a "comedy hypnosis show". Which could mean that you have an audience that is expecting one thing, and possibly receiving something totally different.

But perhaps I'm over thinking? It wouldn't be the first time.

Thoughts?

I swear that once you saw me do a hypnosis show many years ago in Vancouver. I could well be wrong but if I am please let me know one way or the other. It was at a psychic fair if that rings a bell.
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2020, weirdwizardx wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Because most hypnotists in the 21st century have moved past that age old paradigm.

So what would be the current one?

?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2524 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2020, monkeycat wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
I know this might come across as a stupid question, but I can't get it out of my head.

What defines a "hypnosis show"?

Is it simply that hypnosis is the ubiquitous method of entertainment? Meaning - the show is 100% based on hypnosis.

Is it hypnosis being the main method of entertainment? Meaning - The show includes things that are not hypnosis, but 60% or more is hypnosis?

Is it that the theme of the show is hypnosis and it includes genuine hypnosis? Meaning - less than, say, 30% of the show is actual, genuine hypnosis, but the whole show is themed around hypnosis.

Does it require comedy?

This is why I'm stuck on the question -

I don't like the vast majority of "comedy hypnosis" shows I've seen. No disrespect to those performers, it's just not my thing. I don't want to do a "comedy hypnosis show" but I really do want to develop a show that is based around hypnosis.

But marketing gets tricky. This isn't the tricky business section so I don't necessarily want to delve into that aspect - but at what point should one market the show as "a hypnosis show"? Or what other term should be used if one doesn't intend to do a comedy show?

Personally, and I don't know if this is the common mentality, if I hear "hypnosis show" I automatically assume it's a comedy hypnosis show. I feel like most people have more or less combined those terms in their mind and thus, advertising a "hypnosis show" would make the audience assume they are going to see a "comedy hypnosis show". Which could mean that you have an audience that is expecting one thing, and possibly receiving something totally different.

But perhaps I'm over thinking? It wouldn't be the first time.

Thoughts?

I swear that once you saw me do a hypnosis show many years ago in Vancouver. I could well be wrong but if I am please let me know one way or the other. It was at a psychic fair if that rings a bell.

I've never been to Vancouver. Or a psychic fair. So I'm pretty sure it's not me you're thinking of.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
1000 Posts

Profile of kcalB
I have to agree with mindpunisher,
In my experience people do find the process fascinating.
Absolutely Yes you can do a Hypnosis Show without comedy, that is if you're promoting to the proper Niche Group, and not to a Bar or Comedy Club....etc.
Come on Chris, use what you already know and who you already are and shape the presentation to fit you.
Start by not calling it a Show, as people expect to be entertained in a certain way when they are going to a show, not so when they are going to a presentation.
Give me a call, and I'd be happy to chat.
Good Thoughts,
Sebastian
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea people who pay money expect to see something of value. No matter what you call it they want to be entertained.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
1000 Posts

Profile of kcalB
I didn't expect everyone to grasp my comments
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea because you are so much above the rim than the rest of the world LOL.

Call it what you want if you don't meet expectations you have lost your audience.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
1000 Posts

Profile of kcalB
I meet expectations every time, without having to resort to comedy.
Thinking outside the box is all it takes.
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'm going to go ahead and guess you didn't read my first post in this thread.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
1000 Posts

Profile of kcalB
I did, and I agree with some of what you said.
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
thementalcoach
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
63 Posts

Profile of thementalcoach
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2020, kcalB wrote:
I meet expectations every time, without having to resort to comedy.
Thinking outside the box is all it takes.

I agree. I think Brother Shadow had a bang-up hypnosis show with his seance!
David Kenward - The Mental Coach
Overcome what is holding you back: anger, fear, pain, guilt. Fast results, guaranteed, even if choking or in a slump.
Performing, competing, health/healing and more.
Interests - Magic, Mentalism, Hypnosis and the Bizarre
Sacramento, California
http://thementalcoach.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » What makes a hypnosis show? (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL