The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » What makes a hypnosis show? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Because most hypnotists in the 21st century have moved past that age old paradigm.

So what would be the current one?
monkeycat
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of monkeycat
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
I know this might come across as a stupid question, but I can't get it out of my head.

What defines a "hypnosis show"?

Is it simply that hypnosis is the ubiquitous method of entertainment? Meaning - the show is 100% based on hypnosis.

Is it hypnosis being the main method of entertainment? Meaning - The show includes things that are not hypnosis, but 60% or more is hypnosis?

Is it that the theme of the show is hypnosis and it includes genuine hypnosis? Meaning - less than, say, 30% of the show is actual, genuine hypnosis, but the whole show is themed around hypnosis.

Does it require comedy?

This is why I'm stuck on the question -

I don't like the vast majority of "comedy hypnosis" shows I've seen. No disrespect to those performers, it's just not my thing. I don't want to do a "comedy hypnosis show" but I really do want to develop a show that is based around hypnosis.

But marketing gets tricky. This isn't the tricky business section so I don't necessarily want to delve into that aspect - but at what point should one market the show as "a hypnosis show"? Or what other term should be used if one doesn't intend to do a comedy show?

Personally, and I don't know if this is the common mentality, if I hear "hypnosis show" I automatically assume it's a comedy hypnosis show. I feel like most people have more or less combined those terms in their mind and thus, advertising a "hypnosis show" would make the audience assume they are going to see a "comedy hypnosis show". Which could mean that you have an audience that is expecting one thing, and possibly receiving something totally different.

But perhaps I'm over thinking? It wouldn't be the first time.

Thoughts?

I swear that once you saw me do a hypnosis show many years ago in Vancouver. I could well be wrong but if I am please let me know one way or the other. It was at a psychic fair if that rings a bell.
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2020, weirdwizardx wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Because most hypnotists in the 21st century have moved past that age old paradigm.

So what would be the current one?

?
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2391 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2020, monkeycat wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
I know this might come across as a stupid question, but I can't get it out of my head.

What defines a "hypnosis show"?

Is it simply that hypnosis is the ubiquitous method of entertainment? Meaning - the show is 100% based on hypnosis.

Is it hypnosis being the main method of entertainment? Meaning - The show includes things that are not hypnosis, but 60% or more is hypnosis?

Is it that the theme of the show is hypnosis and it includes genuine hypnosis? Meaning - less than, say, 30% of the show is actual, genuine hypnosis, but the whole show is themed around hypnosis.

Does it require comedy?

This is why I'm stuck on the question -

I don't like the vast majority of "comedy hypnosis" shows I've seen. No disrespect to those performers, it's just not my thing. I don't want to do a "comedy hypnosis show" but I really do want to develop a show that is based around hypnosis.

But marketing gets tricky. This isn't the tricky business section so I don't necessarily want to delve into that aspect - but at what point should one market the show as "a hypnosis show"? Or what other term should be used if one doesn't intend to do a comedy show?

Personally, and I don't know if this is the common mentality, if I hear "hypnosis show" I automatically assume it's a comedy hypnosis show. I feel like most people have more or less combined those terms in their mind and thus, advertising a "hypnosis show" would make the audience assume they are going to see a "comedy hypnosis show". Which could mean that you have an audience that is expecting one thing, and possibly receiving something totally different.

But perhaps I'm over thinking? It wouldn't be the first time.

Thoughts?

I swear that once you saw me do a hypnosis show many years ago in Vancouver. I could well be wrong but if I am please let me know one way or the other. It was at a psychic fair if that rings a bell.

I've never been to Vancouver. Or a psychic fair. So I'm pretty sure it's not me you're thinking of.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » What makes a hypnosis show? (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL