The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » General Grant (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4982 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
For those that hadn't heard, General Grant passed away on July 20th. He was 87 years old and despite his failing health for quite some time, lead a pretty active life.Anyone who saw his act know he was a pioneer in Dove Magic. He'll certainly be missed.
Where the magic begins
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1705 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Thank you for sharing the news.
May he RIP.
It seems as if the magic community is losing many greats this year.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6080 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I remember seeing his name on many products in the display counter at Morrissey Magic when I was a kid. Great memories.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4982 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Truly a great man but are you thinking about the same person? I don't believe Gen ever sold his products through dealers and made all his sales himself.
Where the magic begins
MJE
View Profile
Veteran user
After all these years,I STILL have only
341 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2019, Dave Scribner wrote:
Truly a great man but are you thinking about the same person? I don't believe Gen ever sold his products through dealers and made all his sales himself.


Well, this is going WAY back.....at least 30 years.....but I'm pretty sure he had products that were sold by MAK Magic. I think there was a well-known wholesaler that sold his stuff, too. Which one, I don't recall. But, yeah, I could be thinking of the wrong guy, too.
thecromulent
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
160 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2019, MJE wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2019, Dave Scribner wrote:
Truly a great man but are you thinking about the same person? I don't believe Gen ever sold his products through dealers and made all his sales himself.


Well, this is going WAY back.....at least 30 years.....but I'm pretty sure he had products that were sold by MAK Magic. I think there was a well-known wholesaler that sold his stuff, too. Which one, I don't recall. But, yeah, I could be thinking of the wrong guy, too.


I think there were two Gen(eral) Grants. U.F. "Gen" Grant is the guy who manufactured props:

https://www.geniimagazine.com/wiki/index......F._Grant

Evan
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4982 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
That is correct. U.F. Grant and Gen Grant are two different people.
Where the magic begins
thecromulent
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
160 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2019, Dave Scribner wrote:
That is correct. U.F. Grant and Gen Grant are two different people.


What makes it extra-confusing is that U.F. was sometimes credited as "Gen" on his products.
MJE
View Profile
Veteran user
After all these years,I STILL have only
341 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2019, Dave Scribner wrote:
That is correct. U.F. Grant and Gen Grant are two different people.


..........oh...........(he says sheepishly)
MJE
View Profile
Veteran user
After all these years,I STILL have only
341 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2019, thecromulent wrote:

https://www.geniimagazine.com/wiki/index......F._Grant

Evan


Thanks for that link! I'm not sure why I didn't think of looking there in the FIRST place. I see that I had several of UF's books and props in my early days in magic. I remember having the Cheek To Cheek deck, but I didn't use it as a Triumph thing. I have no idea what I DID use it for, but I think it was an early attempt at mentalism that I came up with. That Bengal Net was a bulky thing to cart around, but it was really impactful in the kidshows that I quickly (and fortunately) outgrew. And didn't everyone on the planet have a Temple Screen at one time or another? I think there were a few at every magic auction ever held for a while.
thecromulent
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
160 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
I definitely had (have) one! I repainted mine to look like a phone booth, and I used to produce phones from it. First a corded handset, then an old fashioned cordless handset.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » General Grant (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL