The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Photographic Deck by Redford (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
184 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
Kicking myself for missing the kickstarter, also curious about a general release date!
-Magic sees Magic-

-Marco V-
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
And I too am hoping they will be available soon.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
I was part of the kickstarter and regret:
-not getting more than 1 deck
-not getting the expansions

So I totally get it and agree, looking forward to a general release so I can buy them before all of you! Joking! Or am I? ;-)
mich77
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mich77
I'd like to buy this deck, but honestly the cost for shipping in Italy is 30$... almost the price of the deck.
No doubt about the goodness of the deck (Redford is a good thinker), but the total cost seems to be too exaggerated.
Will it be available on any web shop?
Please let me know.
Thanks.

Bye
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
184 Posts

I've just ordered mine and I'm very excited for it to arrive! I'll post a review once I've had a chance to really use them. They're only available on his web store at this moment as far as I'm aware.
-Magic sees Magic-

-Marco V-
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2020, Silversleights04 wrote:
I've just ordered mine and I'm very excited for it to arrive! I'll post a review once I've had a chance to really use them. They're only available on his web store at this moment as far as I'm aware.

I didn't realize they were up on his website, nice!
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
184 Posts

I didn't see the add on packs until after I ordered though, ugh! Oh well. Any idea how these compare to SNAPS? Obviously these lack the alphanumeric graphic component from SNAPS, but other than that, which has the nicer card stock and better performance material, etc?
-Magic sees Magic-

-Marco V-
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
@Silversleights04

SNAPS is made from USPCC and is a pair of decks - (reader back marking system) one the alphabet and the second deck numbers, animals and ESP symbols

The Photographic Deck is a deck that is made from MPC (Make Playing Cards.com) and is a standard deck of ACE - KING (binary marking system) but "disguised" as photographs. So literally with this deck you could perform ANY standard card trick you know. Redford even encourages placing the deck in a stack like si stebbins.

Performance wise they are both fantastic

Magic wise - they are two totally different styles.
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
184 Posts

Thanks David! I appreciate the detailed insight! So what you're saying is, I should just go ahead and get both, right? OK, if you insist! Smile Smile
It sounds like the SNAPS deck may have more to offer in the way of hidden revelations (though you might only get that surprise of them noticing the letters for the first time once), but I really enjoy the artful, almost minimalist, look of the Photographic deck.

I've been playing with the Photographic deck for a while now and I think the quality of the cards themselves is quite nice, the images are engaging, significant, and iconic. It has a ton of built-in things like visually associated mate cards with fun applications, but it also has a ton of amazing potential packed into it for you to discover. I keep mine in Redford stack and noticed the images help form a neat little mnemonic narrative that can be used to help with sequential card recall. I've been immensely satisfied with it so far and the material I've learned from the accompanying videos. I just wish I could perform for more people at the moment so I can play around with my presentations. I'll try to give a more detailed review when I can.
-Magic sees Magic-

-Marco V-
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey guys. I’ve started a new magic review show with my son Ryland. On this weeks show we review The Photographic deck and discuss the pros and cons of the deck. Bottom line I really like it.

Here’s a link to the review show.

https://youtu.be/_DAkgpsLZX4

Any questions let me know.
jtonthat
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of jtonthat
Hi Everyone, first post! Trying to decide between this deck or Marc Spelmann's The Gallery. Anyone know enough both decks to weigh in? Thanks!
ipe
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of ipe
Hi,
could someone give me some references regarding the "spectator cuts the aces" procedure used in "A Toxic Endeavor"?
What would a real mindreader do?
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2021, jtonthat wrote:
Hi Everyone, first post! Trying to decide between this deck or Marc Spelmann's The Gallery. Anyone know enough both decks to weigh in? Thanks!

I have both decks. There are enough differences between the decks that it really boils down to what you want to do.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
jtonthat
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of jtonthat
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2021, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2021, jtonthat wrote:

I have both decks. There are enough differences between the decks that it really boils down to what you want to do.

Thanks Philemon. Based on your response, I'll take another look at the trailers to figure out what effects I am really interested in.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Isn't the difference between the two decks is that with Redford's Photographic deck, every image has a hidden relationship to a playing card...while Spellman's deck is more basked on colors and shapes, but not specific cards? So, I you want to do a memorized deck routine, but not use actual playing cards, you could use the Photographic deck, but not the Spellman deck?
Doc Ben
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
261 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2021, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
Isn't the difference between the two decks is that with Redford's Photographic deck, every image has a hidden relationship to a playing card...while Spellman's deck is more basked on colors and shapes, but not specific cards? So, I you want to do a memorized deck routine, but not use actual playing cards, you could use the Photographic deck, but not the Spellman deck?

I am trying to decide also and thinking I am looking to perform as a "super-memory" effect, so am I right in that the Redford Photographic deck is most relevant/useful for the latter, a memory, routine?

Smile
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Yes, Redford's deck is probably the one you want.

I've gone back and compared the two, and I think the Redford deck edges out the Spellman deck in several key aspects.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2021, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Yes, Redford's deck is probably the one you want.

I've gone back and compared the two, and I think the Redford deck edges out the Spellman deck in several key aspects.

Thanks...will go with Redford's.
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
Doc Ben
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
261 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
Got it today along with Expansion set and all looks fantastic! I just barely started to quickly look through the numerous associated download vids, but it will definitely work for my "super memory routine and there is soooo much more that can be done!

Smile
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I'm currently Preparing a third expansion pack for the Photographic deck. I thought before I run it, are there any specific expansion features that those using the deck would enjoy having that doesn't already exist?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Photographic Deck by Redford (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL