The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Any Difference in two "Paperclipped" DVD sources? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
I have "The Best of Jay Sankey #3" DVD which includes the effect which he eventually named "Paperclipped". After releasing "The Best of" series, he came out with an individual DVD named, "Paperclipped" in which he teaches that effect and 5 others.

Question: Is the explanation/instruction more detailed on the "Paperclipped" DVD than on the "Best of" DVD?

Thanks -
Ron
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The L&L DVD pretty much covers the effect. It's very easy to perform, also.

I'd pass on the PaperClipped DVD since you have the effect.
In fact, The L&L one is better because he performs it for a live audience. You get to see more of how it should be done.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
Good point MagicChris! I'll stick with the L&L version.

BTW: Do you perform this in real world settings? If so, are the responses as "drop dead" as Sankey claims?

Thanks - Ron
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Ron, I do perform paperclipped. I NEVER leave the house without the special something needed.

You get 2 types of responses. They are either dumbfounded or scream "no way". Both are what I look for in all my magic I perform.

I do mine a bit different from Jay's and perhaps one day, with Jay's permission, will publish it.

But, it's a spectacular piece of magic. Perform it once and you'll do it forever.

Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
Thanks for your real world feedback! Always good to hear actual performance experiences.

Looks like it's time for me to get that "something special" ready and learn the moves.

Thanks -
Ron
petersd
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of petersd
On his paperclipped DVD (mine is VHS) he goes in to detail on the pyschology of what you say and towards each movement.

I agree that the #3 video contains a sufficient explanation in order to achieve what you are looking for.

Do you guys do the Mercury fast as Jay does or slower. He is incredible how quickly he can do it with accurracy. Although, I feel that how quickly it is done does not alter the effect. Any thoughts on this from you guys?

Dave
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
Since I'm still working towards a decent looking fold, MagicChris would be the one to ask.

I've heard other Café members comment that they don't do the fold as fast as Sankey, but, as they said, they don't need to. Sure I'd love to get to the point where I strike the card that fast. In my estimation, while the higher speed isn't necessary, the fact that it happens so quickly doesn't give the spectator a reason to question (also, it leaves "less room" for them to mentally reverse to a solution).
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Ron, just a heads up, if you don't own 3 Ring Circus Jay has an effect called Economic Risks that he integrates with Paperclipped.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I do my fold completely different than the one Jay does (or anyone else as far as my research indicates).

I'm working on putting out some effects and will teach the fold.

jcrai
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of jcrai
I can't do the fold as quickly as Sankey (man that's fast), but I can do it fairly quickly, and the spectators are still blown away. But I strive for Sankey's perfection of the move.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Jay gives a good basic mercury card fold lesson, but if you really want to know how to get it down really goo, get the DVD "Get Bent".

It took me to the next level on the fold.
The_Shadow
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of The_Shadow
The fold I was having trouble with so I got Paperclipped. It came very easily to me afterwards because it was thoroughly explained.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Any Difference in two "Paperclipped" DVD sources? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL