The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Best Slush Powder Cup (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1907 Posts

Profile of tbaer
(1) Is there a cup that works better than another cup so the blob doesn't fall out?

(2) I do show the cup to be empty before the trick, but is there anything that can be done to the cup internally without looking suspicious to help keep the blob from falling out.

I usually work with 8 ounces of water.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Try a Styrofoam cup. I have demo'd a lot of slush powder when I worked at the magic shop at Silver Dollar City.
Because it was a demo I didn't use that much water! However make sure you use enough powder, one teaspoon should
be sufficient for eight ounces of liquid.

Best of luck

Mark
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1907 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Thanks, I'll try Styrofoam. Depending on where you get slush powder, I found out not all slush powders are the same strength. I have some slush powder that I only need 1-tsp per 8-ounces of water, another brand that I need 2-tsp per 8-ounces of water, and another brand that I need 3-tsb per 8-ounces of water to make a good gel.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
403 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
You are right, not all are the same strength. I would like to know the best brand of powder and where to buy.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
If it helps, we packaged it ourselves. Bought in bulk 44 lb. bags.

Mark
FrankFindley
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2019, tbaer wrote:
is there anything that can be done to the cup internally without looking suspicious to help keep the blob from falling out.

If you use a Styrofoam cup as suggested, you can push a pencil through it side to side. Then rotate the cup upside down holding the pencil on each side. Not only is the pencil going through a convincer, it holds the blob in. You can even create a gimmick pencil to deliver the slush powder.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3608 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I use a red Solo cup. I took a round piece of plastic and punched holes in it with a regular punch. I then glued this inside the cup about 1/3 up from the bottom. (you can determine where to glue it by adding your measured water and powder and letting it "work") This never fails me. However, to clean up, you need to rinse it out through the holes until everything comes out. If you let it dry a day or so there's almost nothing left in the cup.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22007 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A teaspoon is way to much for an 8 ounce cup. Only need a quarter of a teaspoon for 4 ounces. It is not intended to pour a full 8 ounce glass of water in the cup. Trial an error is the only way find what works for you and your water in your area of the country. Not all water is the same from city to city. Don't be afraid to try distilled water as well, they sell it in gallon jugs as the grocery stores.

When I first purchased this effect, it came with a small measuring spoon. It work with that small amount. Again not a full glass of water. The stuff works quickly, but not if you use to much water.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3240 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
In my magnetized water routine, I use a stainless steel mixing cup and two teaspoons of slush powder. I pour the water from a bottle held high over the cup. It looks like a lot, but it is really only about a third of a bottle, about six ounces. It works well for me:

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22007 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pop, you are correct, the height splashes the powder and spreads it out quickly. That is why it works for you. If poured in just above the cup and slowly, the powder will clump up and not be able to absorb much at all.

I often suggest practicing, buy that I mean to try different amounts, and styles of pouring. When I am trying to find a solution, I am actually experimenting to see which works for me. I just don't keep doing the same things that are not working.

I even went to a restaurant and put in my cup before receiving coffee from the waitress. I found out it does not work at all with a full cup of hot coffee.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Great ideas. Thanks

David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Best Slush Powder Cup (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL