The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Margery Crandon's Spirit Bell Box (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Are you going to make the Scientific American picture version???
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
Looks great! Thanks for sharing.
OddFellow
View Profile
New user
Lewisburg, PA
37 Posts

Profile of OddFellow
I'm probably going to stick with this version with a few mods to the electronics. It works best for my needs.
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Holmfirth, UK
160 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2019, OddFellow wrote:
Pics to follow. I tried to make this as period-correct as possible. Simple contact switch made from scrap copper (original had a plunger switch, that I believe was made from a door hinge pin and spring). All hardware was aged, and I stamped "1921" for effect. This also works by RC when the batteries are removed for a sucker effect. I'll post the inner workings in the Crypt when I get access. This was a proof of concept. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Pics to follow.

Nice work - I like it a lot!

If you're looking for authenticity my only observation would be to replace the Philips (cross head) screws with slotted, domed head ones. Philips screws didn't emerge until the 1930s. It's nit-picking but it would be worth it.

Nick
www.darkartefacts.com

Purveyors of the finest handcrafted, bizarre artefacts and illusions. The Uninvited, Death Row Diner, The Koshkin Effect, Whiteface, Satan's Circus
OddFellow
View Profile
New user
Lewisburg, PA
37 Posts

Profile of OddFellow
Nick - Thanx! I intend to replace the screws and the hinge. I didn't have any straight-slot screws that small. It's funny...hard to find historically correct screws now. Most are Phillips. The straight-slotted ones are flat-headed as well. I always keep an eye open at flea markets for vintage hardware. I actually found a hardware store where I live in rural PA that had a bunch of cut nails of various sizes and bought as many as I could...the old guy behind the counter thought I was nuts! I build a lot of Civil War-era items too.
OddFellow
View Profile
New user
Lewisburg, PA
37 Posts

Profile of OddFellow
Thanks to everyone for the positive comments!!!
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2019, OddFellow wrote:
Nick - Thanx! I intend to replace the screws and the hinge. I didn't have any straight-slot screws that small. It's funny...hard to find historically correct screws now. Most are Phillips. The straight-slotted ones are flat-headed as well. I always keep an eye open at flea markets for vintage hardware. I actually found a hardware store where I live in rural PA that had a bunch of cut nails of various sizes and bought as many as I could...the old guy behind the counter thought I was nuts! I build a lot of Civil War-era items too.

I'd suggest using google for finding period correct brass hardware. There are a number of companies that specialize in antique and reproduction hardware.
I'm not as active in CW reenacting as I use to be, but it sounds like we have similar interest in period magic.
Bob
OddFellow
View Profile
New user
Lewisburg, PA
37 Posts

Profile of OddFellow
I see you grew up in Silver Spring! I was raised in Wheaton, live there and in Olney most of my life, moved to Columbia, and now living in Central PA after retiring in 2016. I am a member of the 2nd MD Inf, CSA. Small world. Houdini has been my "hero" since my teens and I still love the work he did and the contributions he made.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Margery Crandon's Spirit Bell Box (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL