The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Good *stage* effect for young beginner? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

no2ss
View Profile
Loyal user
California
229 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Hi folks,

I'm a fairly eager and dedicated hobbyist, who spends lots of time here on the Café over the years and has a large library of excellent magic books and videos (and a few gimmicks here and there). However, most of my focus as a hobbyist has been on close-up card stuff and a bit of mentalism.

However, my 9 year old was saying he'd like to do a stage effect for his school's talent show, and I'm trying to search my brain (and my library!) for what effects might be (a) good for stage and (b) one that a 9 year old, magic beginner like my son might be able to master with some practice (we have plenty of time to practice). I figured I might as well ask here for any thoughts. The one other limitation is that it would need to be a relatively quick effect -- since I think they give each kid only about 30 to 60 seconds for their acts to keep the talent show moving.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Here I go again! ;:::: Ya can't DO an EFFECT!

An EFFECT, is WHAT THE SPECTATOR PERCEIVES.

You need a 60 second TRICK!!!!! For a nine year old, a vanishing silk with a TT, is possible, and the gimmick is inexpensive.

There is no need to spend a hundred bucks to vanish a bird cage!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
202 Posts

Profile of Ronin
Speaking as a parent, I think that a lot will depend on what kind of trick will engage your 9 year old to practice, whether he'd leap into something a little sleight of hand based, or require an easier, self-working trick.

You could try going through a good book like the Mark Wilson Course with your son to find something he likes. Cut and restored rope, torn and restored bill, and silk thru arm are all effects from the book that might work here. If you wanted to be really ambitious and the staging allowed for it, there's even UF Grant Victory Cartons production. Exposing your son to a book with so much good magic could start him on the road as a lifetime magic enthusiast, if that's a goal.

More mechanical effects could be something like the lota bowl, a mirror production box or 20th Century silks (one of my favorites when I was that age). With the 20th Century silks, you could keep the silk vanish pretty simple (change bag or similar) or more advanced (a dye tube or Stillwell ball), depending on your son's ability and inclination (and your patience). When I was a kid, I kind of went back and forth from being engaged by more mechanical vs. sleight of hand material.

It occurs to me that the Professor's Nightmare is a good, solid effect that I learned at about that age, and it's one that he could be doing for the rest of his life, if he gets bit by the magic bug.

And if you'd care to share how it all turns out, I'd love to hear about it Smile
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
460 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Tenyo's "What's Next" would be great for this.

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
no2ss
View Profile
Loyal user
California
229 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Great suggestions, guys -- and trust me, I never had any intention of spending $100 to vanish a bird in a cage. What's Next and Professor's Nightmare are two good options. He also has Joshua Jay's Big Magic for Little Hands book, and thinks there may be some good ideas in there that I need to go through with him to see what catches his eye and inspires him.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8511 Posts

Profile of funsway
For a short, astounding presentation, the color changing scarf always appeals since it is so visual.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2231 Posts

Profile of todsky
I also recommend What’s Next by Tenyo. A great stage trick, easy to learn, can be done in under a minute.

Todd
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
There'a 'BIT" of finger manipulation involved in the 'What's Next" which may be difficult for a nine year old's small hands. The price of that prop is, I believe, about $30.

I think Funsway's color changibg silk would be easier.
'
On second thought, it might be difficult to find a TT small enough for the silk vanish.

Gen Grant's Victory Carton "illusion" could be a bit too big for him to handle, and producing a girl would be awkward with the average conditions at these affairs.

Professor's nightmare also involves finger dexterity which may be too much for a 9 year old.

Gen Grant's (MAK MAGIC") sold "One Two One" rope trick years ago. It's EZ, Just "change" the two pieces of rope into one piece.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3391 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I think funsway is referring to the mechanical/self-contained version for the color change...yes?

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I think so, too. (The old TARBELL method_
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8511 Posts

Profile of funsway
Yup - long multi-colored streamer changes to black. Not sure who carries it. Magic Warehouse used to.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of TomB
I really liked the Rubiks Cube magic set. I had my daughter do a Rubiks theme at 8 years of age.
I had her solve a mixed rubiks in 3 moves, or to the audience under 10 seconds. I had a signed rubiks get solved in a box that was freely mixed by an audience member. From the rubiks magic set, she did a sign name to card with rubber band on it, then the card changed. She did the mental magic where the cube was put in a box and she knew the color. She had the exploding rubiks (the size of a dice). She did a rubiks to skittles under a pillow case.

At 9 years she did some cool card tricks and it was not impressive to the audience. I would stay away from card tricks. The highlight was my six year old doing the self tying shoelace. If you only get 30 seconds, I would strongly recommend that. I can upload a private video for you if you want.

We probably wont be doing any item in a lemon trick this year but my local magician says it's the cheapest best bang for an audience.

If they can have a pre recorded music have them practice to it. Good music is important.

Hope that helps!
dirtyrussian
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dirtyrussian
I know I got a lot of mileage out of "Strat-O-Sphere" when I was about 10 or 11 for a school show. I incorporated it into my birthday party shows as a teen and it was always a hit with the kids.
dirtyrussian
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dirtyrussian
A type of "torn and restored tissue paper" "do as I do" routine with a mouth coil is easy and visual and again was always a hit with the kids. Especially if he calls up a buddy who also rips up a tissue, pops it into his mouth, and only gets back the soggy tissue not a 25' long multi colored streamer.
dirtyrussian
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dirtyrussian
Another just popped into my head from back in 5th grade. I got a ton of "wows" at school in another show with, the Tanabar Rope Escape aka "Shanghai Shackle" when I did it in the 70's. Totally do-able at that age and his friends will be very impressed.
dirtyrussian
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dirtyrussian
Ok last one, the kids always loved "The Temple Screen" and Abbott's still has them, as do others probably. Again very visual and do-able for that age. I know, I did it !
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
Any incarnation of a Square Circle; maybe producing humorous goodies to get the audience laughing with him. (For now, an easily assembled cardboard creation will do fine.)

Julie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Good *stage* effect for young beginner? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL