The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stasis by Jambor (73 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Not having Facebook that is the first time I have ever seen those two guys perform at Propdog .
I must admit they were absolutely woeful at everything , saying they were cringeworthy would be over complimenting them .
How Dave Bonsall employs them to go behind a camera is bewildering .
Magicians , I think not they are absolutely pitiful imo Gaz 🙂
JosephKerr
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
421 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
Cool - Thanks for the hot take Gaz. You're really embodying the Magicians Helping Magicians Spirit.
"Challenge Your Reality"
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Sorry I do normally always embrace that motto Joseph . I just thought this was such poor form all round , in fact utter rubbish I am amazed they aired it in all honesty Gaz 🙂
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2019, JosephKerr wrote:
Cool - Thanks for the hot take Gaz. You're really embodying the Magicians Helping Magicians Spirit.

Sorry Joseph, but I have to agree with Gaz on this one. In fact, as a magician I would say that telling the Propdog 'demonstrators' to practice effects before demonstrating them, would indeed be helping them...
Tyler Lunsford
View Profile
Regular user
USA
131 Posts

Profile of Tyler Lunsford
Hey there!

Oh my! There are so many possibilities with this!

I just posted a full in-depth review of Stasis! You can find it here: https://youtu.be/IMJkSpiPRZY

You can also watch me perform Stasis here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3VNz2zldT9/......syyxeo5w

I hope you find it helpful! Smile

Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
I’m on the fence about this one. Looks very deceptive. I’m sure I passed up the area of comments that cover if this is not angle sensitive. RINKs review was great and I’m going to wait until more reviews pour in. I have an idea of the gimmick ( and I imagine it’s not too difficult to make yourself ) but for 55$ I’m curious as to how others feel about the pricing compared to what you receive.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Thanks for the review, Tyler. It's great to know more about this effect.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2019, Lonnie_Lyerla wrote:
I’m on the fence about this one. Looks very deceptive. I’m sure I passed up the area of comments that cover if this is not angle sensitive. RINKs review was great and I’m going to wait until more reviews pour in. I have an idea of the gimmick ( and I imagine it’s not too difficult to make yourself ) but for 55$ I’m curious as to how others feel about the pricing compared to what you receive.

Would love to hear more about this effect.
magic_tony
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2019, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2019, garyogden1957 wrote:
I don't mind his performance you are right someone else should have done it instead. I am waiting for pegasus to tell us why they the (Other Brothers) showed a deceitful video of 100 percent angle free performance?

It wasn't deceitful at all. It's just that when viewed as a video on a screen it's much harder to see anything than it is in person. Pegasus's comments sometimes are premature.

So you are saying that if you were to perform this as per the official demo, i.e. when the guy casually turns 360 degrees so the spectator can see all around, that the gimmick would probably be seen in real life?

If that is the case, then I agree with Pegasus in that the trailer is somewhat misleading. When I saw that part of the demo I immediately assumed that the gimmick is invisible since if it wasn't such a 360 degree turn would surely reveal it.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I agree after watching Stasis on the Propdog Facebook page I was discouraged from buying this ! "horrible" they just about gave the secret away !!! why would they even demo the effect without perfecting it or at least practicing with it first .
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
That Propdog demo was embarrassing.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2711 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
The demo has a couple of shots going 360, implying this can be shown from many if not all angles. So RNK stating this is quite angle-sensitive (which I'm sure he's right about) came as quite a shock to me. That would be quite misleading in the demo, I feel.
The Propdog demo of course was quite bad, but at the same time I thought people saying that this guy isn't worthy of being called a magician is nonsense. He just showed one bad trick, guys, if you don't know him you have no idea if he is skilled or not. He could be doing one-handed quadruple cuts with both hands while doing a billet peek with his feet as we speak. This was not him showing what he can do, this was him trying to sell. So if anything call him a bad salesman, not a bad magician.
Tyler's demo was a lot better, but wasn't that impressive either, I thought (but I appreciate the fact that you did a review & demo both very much, Tyler, don't get me wrong!). The hand that was holding the gimmick seemed too tense to me, in order for this to be impressive that hands needs to appear very loose and relaxed, I think. All in all I'm still waiting for an uncut performance that looks good. I actually own Balance and I love it, it's a really nice & weird visual, short act on stage. Audiences up to 200 people love it. This... I don't know yet. Looking forward to more reviews.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I never said the guying deming it wasn’t a magician , I was replying to Josephs comment of magicians helping magicians .
A demo like that wasn’t helpful to magicians unless from that you believed the effect was utter rubbish and therefore don’t now buy it .
I believe it has more to offer than that and I think it was terribly ill judged for him to perform it as a demo .
I wouldn’t perform an unpracticed effect to my 2 year old Grandson let alone to my peers in magic.
Everyone’s mileage may vary but that’s my honest opinion Gaz 🙂
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

I know, Gaz. I wasn’t referring to you. You explained yourself earlier.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
The demo has a couple of shots going 360, implying this can be shown from many if not all angles. So RNK stating this is quite angle-sensitive (which I'm sure he's right about) came as quite a shock to me. That would be quite misleading in the demo, I feel.

Yes Unmasked Magician, this definitely cannot be viewed from all angles. Even in the tutorial video one of the Other Brothers state that the viewers cannot be on the other side from where your holding the card. They even touch on the angles that are bad. In the original demo where they are holding the gimmick performing the effect, it looks to me that most of the viewers watching the effect are standing a little farther away. If this is the case along with a constant motion of turning around 360 degrees then I do feel that the viewers would not see anything which in that case the demo would not be misleading. But there are definite angle issues with this if the specs are watching from a close distance. Though, I still want to give this a go in the real world to confirm my thoughts that specs will start looking around the stack once this begins only because it is such a strong visual moment. Though, maybe they will be so stunned from the visual that they won't begin looking at the stack from all sides. I do agree with you that on stage this would be great to use for a quick moment, the audience would not see anything from a distance.

I definitely like this and the mechanism that makes it work but need to work it a little to confirm my thoughts. (Hopefully my initial thoughts are wrong because I love this concept and being able to do it in a close-up setting).

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Looking forward to hear how you feel about this after some performances.
gummyavenger
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of gummyavenger
I received Stasis on Saturday and I can tell you that it looks much better than what's been shown here in this thread. You do not have to slide both cards together like in the propdog video and Tyler's performance. Not trying to put down Tyler or the propdog guy, but that method of getting into the trick was only in the explanation in order to demonstrate some basics of the trick, during the first 6 minutes of the explanation. I do not think you would ever actually perform it that way. Instead (and this was stressed in the explanation video), you would naturally and openly place one card on top of the other, without the cards ever being parallel to each other. One card belongs to the spectator, and you can hold the other card right up in the spectator's face and there's nothing to see. Your hands can be very loose and open. I mean, it's the spectator who is holding the bottom card, after all! Or you can set it up yourself and pass it to the spectator. The act of balancing the cards looks very very natural. It looks exactly as you would do it if you were doing it for real.

I'm just a hobbyist, so I don't have the volume of spectators that some of you guys do, but I would not be worried at all about doing a 360 in real life. The part you don't want them to see is outside the focal point. Nobody will be looking at the spot where the dirty work is done, and even if they were, it's not something that pops out at you immediately. Combined with the motion of a 360 turn, it may as well be 100% invisible. You also don't have to (shouldn't!) stand there for a long time to let the spectators examine it. You should make it collapse relatively quickly. It's a balancing feat, not a puzzle. The fact that it doesn't last long strengthens the effect, I think.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Interesting, even in the tutorial the Other Brothers state you would not want any looking at the stack directly from the side. I know I wouldn't when performed in a close-up environment.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
gummyavenger
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of gummyavenger
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2019, RNK wrote:
Interesting, even in the tutorial the Other Brothers state you would not want any looking at the stack directly from the side. I know I wouldn't when performed in a close-up environment.

They talk about how the spectator can't see anything no matter where they move their head while they're holding it. It's true that you don't want someone to just come and stand and look at it from the side. It's not something that you would perform surrounded. But I think the angles are pretty decent if you don't present it as a puzzle.
magic_tony
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2019, gummyavenger wrote:

... But I think the angles are pretty decent if you don't present it as a puzzle.

Just wondering how you present it affects the potential viewing angles?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Stasis by Jambor (73 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL