The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gaff for colombini's snappy matrix (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

Any suggestions on how to make this gaff or purchase it? If I used glue I'd want to use something that holds well and is nontoxic -- maybe a nonexistent combination? I've never tried to solder anything and am not handy; on the other hand, maybe this is an opportunity to learn! Or perhaps there's a craftsperson who makes this sort of thing. I tried emailing Roy Kueppers and haven't heard back.

Thanks for your help,

Bob
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8512 Posts

Profile of funsway
Rubber cement will work. Apply and let both sides dry - BUT make sure of alignment when placing together as they will not adjust. (covalent bond)

Easy to work with up to the final placement. You can get a small bottle many places. Works great with leather and glass too. Not so good with porous material.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Sounds good, Ken. Thanks as always.

Bob
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1705 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I'm not sure what "snappy matrix" is. Colombini has a coin assembly on a World's Greatest Magic DVD which uses a gimmick such as this:

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......e-coins/
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Ray. I've seen this page before but couldn't find a picture of the gimmick. From the name it's probably what I want, but I hesitate to spend $40 on a DVD that's labeled as "advanced." I'm not even intermediate!

Thanks again,

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Bob G
P. S. I'm guessing the gaff is pictured at the top of the DVD case. If so, that's pretty close to what I'm looking for. In snappy matrix, the coins don't overlap, although it's possible that the illusion is more deceptive if they overlap. Anyway, I figured I'd just go with Ken's suggestion.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1705 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
That picture at the top of the DVD case is not a faithful reproduction of the gaff. The coins do not overlap. The gimmick is well made. With all due respect to funsway, I'm not sure how strong the bond will be with rubber cement. However, I can understand you not wanting to spend $40 just for this gimmick.

Nevertheless, the Siamese Coins DVD and booklet contain material that I wouldn't label as "advanced." Plus, if you are a beginner, it will introduce you to a number of standard, basic sleights and effects.

That Aldo Colombini effect is a good one, if it's the same as the one on the WGM DVD.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Bob G
This is helpful information, Ray. I looked at the WGM DVD, and yes, that's the effect I'm talking about. Interestingly, I *think* that the gimmicked coins overlap in the WGM presentation, though it's hard to tell because the video quality isn't great. I have a later video (by an older Colombini) in which the coins are end-to-end, without overlap.

Given what you said, I need to give some thought to this. I'll probably start with Funsway's idea, and, if I can't make that work, buy the Siamese coins DVD. It does sound intriguing.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8512 Posts

Profile of funsway
When Aldo sent me his "Snappy" routine a decade ago it was based on two quarters glued tother. We collaborated on using a TUC instead of the gimmick.
which became the basis of Cherub Coins. The key is having two coins that can be handled as one. The construction of the gimmick is secondary to the flow of the routine.

To understand the routine I just used some 'blu tack' that worked just fine, but I would use something stronger for repeated use.

40 years ago I made a gimmick with three coins using rubber cement. It is still a drawer somewhere ready to use since I can't get the coins apart.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Ken -- I have a couple of questions. What is a TUC? Whose routine is Cherub Coins? Can you describe it? Where might I find it? (Please PM me if this involves revealing anything that shouldn't be. Smile )

I'll keep in mind what you said about flow.

Very cool that you collaborated with Colombini. As I remember, you've worked with other well-known magicians as well. And "covalent bonds" (!) You're a man of many talents.

See you,

Bob
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2888 Posts

Profile of dpe666
The best version of this type of gimmick that I have ever seen is the e pluribus unum gimmick by Timothy wenk. Unfortunately he is not making it at this time. If he ever decides to put it back out, I recommend Everyone by one immediately.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1705 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I think on the WGM video, Colombini uses half-dollars. Like I said, it's a great routine, very clean, and fooled me the first time I saw it.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Bob G
What drew me to Colombini's method was that it looks fairly easy to learn (at least, in the scheme of things -- I don't expect to learn it well in less than several months at this point in my educational training). Also, I have a story that goes with this type of reverse matrix effect that I'm excited about. So it's good, Ray, to hear you've had good real-life experience with it.

P. S. to Ken: I missed the part about the coins lying in your drawer. I guess rubber cement works!
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1705 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Well, if you mean by "real-life experience" that I've performed it, I haven't. Coin assemblies aren't, or haven't been, my thing, although I've researched the idea (along with a few others) endlessly. I was impressed with Aldo's because it was so clean and a real fooler. I thought of learning it, but don't have the gimmick, so I put the idea aside for a while. However, my interest has been rekindled because of this thread. I'm curious to know if the rubber cement does the trick, so to speak. Please let us know.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4758 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
And I had the Same Thing in Print As Snappy Matrix In my first Set of Lecture Notes 40 Years ago! Name of notes Sightly Gaff. Name of Trick Matrix Climax ! ;(
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I'll let everybody know about my attempts to make the gaff, Ray. Glad your interest has been renewed.

David, Is this the same trick that you mentioned in our email correspondence?

Bob
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4758 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea One of the Two ! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8512 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Thanks, Ken -- I have a couple of questions. What is a TUC? Whose routine is Cherub Coins? Can you describe it? Where might I find it?
Bob

Normally I would answer privately as the answers would drag this thread away from your theme. But I feel it is worth emphasizing that Also's Snappy
relies on handling two coins as one with easy moves. There are several gaffs that can accomplish this, as pointed by Aldo himself.

The TUC - actually T.U.C., stands for "The Ultimate Coin" created by Tango Magic a decade ago. I have many sleights that employ tossing a small object secretly fro one hand to another,
and immediately appreciated the gaff as staying together in flight. I modified some earlier effects to utilize this feature and sent them to Marcello. This started many conversations -
and eventually a request by him to organize TUC effects into a book. His English was inadequate to this task and he hoped that written descriptions might inspire others to create new effects for his "baby."

Though I eventually created 38 new effects for the book to add to his many, we agreed to send requests to many well-known coin works see see if they would create an effect - the carrot
being a free TUC if they sent one to me, published or not. Aldo was one of these and immediately responded with some handling ideas, but no new routine. But, he did send me a copy
of Snappy to see what I could do with it - recognizing that the "double pass" of the TUC could possibly fill the role of his Gaff. Our communication quickly evolved beyond the simple
theme of Snappy. He applauded my use of a folded dollar bill instead of a card and suggested I not refer to Snappy at all. I wrote it up in a way that he got to keep the TUC as a creator and still
sell his Snappy with my encouragement. The book "T.U.C. Appreciation" is available from lulu.com in various formats.

Cherub Coins is a series of effects using a dollar bill folded like winks - hence the name. Part of the moves are influenced by Snappy, other from different coin transportation effects,
and a couple the just 'came to life' during the process. There are some acquitments not possible with cards and some handlings only possible with the TUC features.
I have written up these effects as a separate ebook that you can have when ready. First master Snappy and embrace the reactions of live observers. If it fits your developing style
you may eventually may want to explore the benefits of a TUC.

Sadly, my arthritic fingers can no longer handle this routine with confidence. If I do ever get around to producing some step-sequence DVD's, Cherub Coins will be high on the list.

You have made a fine choice in exploring Snappy, and might find many of Aldo's treatment of value to your learning. Simple and with a touch of love.

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
8512 Posts

Profile of funsway
PS - Dave Neighbors also contributed some ideas for the book on combining the TUC with an Okito box.

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Many thanks for this long and interesting story, Ken. (Ouch! -- my fingers are hurting in sympathy with you after all that typing you did.) I will certainly be interested in your ebook when, as you say, I'm ready -- also your moves that "employ tossing a small object secretly from one hand to another" and your false transfers specially tailored for balls as opposed to coins -- after I've mastered the French Drop, as we've discussed. (I'm thinking about trying Aaron Fisher's FD, which I think he calls the Toboggan Drop or something like that -- he goes into a lot of detail about the sleight, and then about misdirection and construction.)

Thanks for your affirmation of my choice of "Snappy." That gives me confidence to move forward.

In my characteristic zig-zag way, rather like the path of the little boy in Family Circus, I'm making progress, mostly with packet tricks. And my Biddle Move, which for a long time eluded me, is starting to come in. (I have a little Sherlock Holmes story to go with the Biddle Trick, and am excited to be closer to being able to master the trick and marry it to the story.) Meanwhile, I'm looking ahead, as I mentioned, to Matrix and a Ball-Vase trick. I don't know if the way I learn is efficient, but there's nothing I can do about it anyway. After sixty-four years of being spacey, imaginative, and both tireless and inefficient in my learning, I think I'm about ready to accept that that's who I am!

Looking forward to continued conversations with all of you...

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gaff for colombini's snappy matrix (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL