The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Subjects whom are not native English speakers (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

elliott_6388
View Profile
New user
South Korea
20 Posts

Profile of elliott_6388
Hello all!
As I become ever more curious about this art form, my current location makes me wonder if I can even get some practical experience in. I am living in South Korea nowadays and what I would like to know is if anyone here has had experience with a subject who speaks only a little English; speaking some of course, just not fluently.
I recently had an experience of dropping little linguistic anchor points on a friend during an outing (he is Korean)... I later asked him to think of a card and revealed it to him. Seemed to obscure to be a coincidence and I felt pretty pleased with my self haha! However, he is a dear friend and is more aware of my speech patterns.
Im aware that my story isn’t strictly in the realms if hypnosis but imagine my question applies to hypnosis and a purer form of mentalism alike.
So, any experience performing these kinda if things abroad??
Many thanks in advance
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok so you have fallen for the NLP pitch. First thing to do is forget everything you think you know about that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
elliott_6388
View Profile
New user
South Korea
20 Posts

Profile of elliott_6388
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Ok so you have fallen for the NLP pitch. First thing to do is forget everything you think you know about that.

I believe you could be mistaken, perhaps I have explained poorly but I believe what I am talking about has nothing to do with NLP. Unless you care to
expand?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Linguistic anchor points are snake oil.

https://www.nlpworld.co.uk/nlp-glossary/a/anchoring/

NLP is hogwash and has been discredited in all but the movies.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1353 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
When I was practising as a hypnotherapist I had many clients who were not native English speakers, and it caused very few problems. Even those experiencing past life regression talked to me in English.

On another note, I used NLP techniques all the time with my clients. NLP is a ragbag of many different techniques, some more effective than others. They aren't all based on linguistics. You can't dismiss "NLP" as a whole as hogwash. Sorry.

Barry
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The scientific community does. I'll go with their opinion.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Neurolinguistic_programming

What is your degree in when it comes to therapy?

From the article.

"Neurolinguistic programming has now been identified as one of a top 10 most discredited interventions according to a published research survey by Norcross et al. (2006)"
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9426 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Https://www.theguardian.com/stage/shortc......ad-minds

I remember when this came out... Many of today's magic-mentalists got booty hurt.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2200 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:

Well, movies and the PUA scene.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:

Well, movies and the PUA scene.

Exactly. I forgot about that! That scene has faded a bit thank God.

The weekend therapist crowd HAS to believe in NLP. It is practically a religious belief. Otherwise you have to actually go get an education and that takes a LOT A OF TIME! Who wants to do that when you can just learn some nonsense in a weekend?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1353 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:

What is your degree in when it comes to therapy?

My degree is in Psychology. Next question?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How is it you disagree with the discrediting of NLP?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
elliott_6388
View Profile
New user
South Korea
20 Posts

Profile of elliott_6388
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2019, mindmagic wrote:
When I was practising as a hypnotherapist I had many clients who were not native English speakers, and it caused very few problems. Even those experiencing past life regression talked to me in English.

On another note, I used NLP techniques all the time with my clients. NLP is a ragbag of many different techniques, some more effective than others. They aren't all based on linguistics. You can't dismiss "NLP" as a whole as hogwash. Sorry.

Barry

Thanks so much for your reply. I had just imagined that certain trigger words would have lesser impact, as they do not resonate as strongly in second language speakers. Very interesting indeed.

A lot of these things are on shakey ground about NLP for sure. Perhaps I used the wrong terminology, could linguistic hints be more appropriate? For example Derren Browns method of Mental !@#$es are pretty darn reliable. These methods would be extremely difficult to test under clinical conditions as the subject would have to be in a desired condition. Anecdotal evidence is also valuable, but one has to disect it more carefully.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The plural of anecdote is not data. It is not valuable at all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9426 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I've yet to see how any of this has anything to do with performance hypnosis?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Subjects whom are not native English speakers (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL