The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Poor lighting at venue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1433 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Hello everyone. Right now I'm working at a haunted corn maze and was wondering how others contend with the dark. Last night I tried to catch people I'm the best lighting and perform there. However, the area where you wait in line is in a dark area and that would be the best place for me. Any suggestions?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Wear a miner's hat (with light) hee hee

I would use light colored props like white rope, white handkerchiefs, white or yellow silks, white golf balls, etc.

I assume that you're "working the line", The ELUSIVE SILK VANISH (P 319, my book) with a white or yellow silk. My routine is set up when you start working and is immediately repeatable, all night. Patter theme: "sheet for a small ghost, etc.)

Serpentine silk, or silk knot tricks are good.

The Perpetual Ball phase of my ball routine would play great and takes no set up.

The rope and tape principle (grandma's necklace) but use the Cords of Fantasia method (wand instead of thread (immediately repeatable) Damte called it the "Lazy Magician) I think it's in Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic.

PM me.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Professor's Nightmare, (no set up)

vanish lit match in TT

Slydini Knots (vanishing square knot) see my dvd) You could use bandannas (red & blue)

Hunter's shoelace knot

Appoint someone to hold your flashlight and be the spot light man!
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1433 Posts

I actually did think about using a headlamp.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1433 Posts

So I used the headlamp last night. I found that as long as I used the flood instead of beam function and angled it down I didn't blind people. In fact we could look each other in the face at the same time. Also in a place that is dark and you cant bring in light it gave me an air of authority
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
One of my favorite methods is to do some magic with a flashlight and then switch the trick flashlight with a genuine duplicate and hand it to a spectator to use as a spotlight on me as I perform other tricks. If that spectator has to leave to go somewhere else, have him "train" a substitute spot-lighter and it can pass from spectator to spectator until your set if complete. Then take the light back, switching it for the trick light and ask them how on earth they managed to get the light to work when it has no batteries. It works into the magic as well as providing a source of light for other tricks.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2849 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I ran into that situation and bought a LED potable cordless spot light. It had a adjustable stand to direct the light where needed. I bought it at Harbor Freight and found a good buy at Aldi.
Convenient, portable, no electric cord and you can use 1 or more.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1433 Posts

Those are both interesting options. Im looking into them now
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8359 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
HI Chance!

When I would get a 'WORK THE LINE", in the off season I would carry the props in my pockets. I did about 5 minute.s and move on

The nightmare was almost always "in", and the so called Slydini Knots, too, (visible props, visual effect, no table needed, angle proof, no reset, versatile effect.

Thr TT and silk, was good too.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1433 Posts

Hi Dick,

Im working on the Slydini nots starting this weekend. It wont be ready this season but its good to know. I sent you a pm.

Chance
dirtyrussian
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of dirtyrussian
If your a fan of them, use the opportunity to add in some aggressive IT effects that you'd be hesitant to use in normal conditions.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
D'lites can still be amazing if the choreography is spot on and the routine is kept short and sweet. A good way to get folks attention if anything else.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1433 Posts

Both of those sound like really good ideas. I especially like the d lites idea. If I could find a way to secretly turn off my head lamp then I could "pluck the lite off my head.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
When working in a cemetery, I made a stand out of a piece of plywood for the base and a pipe fitting flange that held what had been a jointed pole that was made to hold a bird feeder. I suspended a glass enclosed lamp with a candle from the pole. On the bottom of the lamp I put a battery powered lamp that shines down.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ Seattle
1051 Posts

Profile of Nash
There's a simple solution.
Everyone carries a cellphone nowadays, your cellphone has a bright flashlight.
Whenever I'm at a gig where it is too dark, I simply tell my audience it is a bit dark here, ask if one of them would be able to assist with holding my cellphone flash light so we can enjoy the performance?
After each trick I'll ask them to pass the phone to the next person so no one will have to hold the phone for too long of a period of time.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate magician - Nash Fung
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Poor lighting at venue (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL