The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psychology Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

justforeffect
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, UK
153 Posts

Profile of justforeffect
Which books would you reccommend getting on this subject?
123majik123
View Profile
Regular user
nowhere
180 Posts

Profile of 123majik123
On general pyscology for presentation and patter (I assume it is)

Body language reading:
1) Book of tells peter collett (a good primer into the subject)
-if you go to amazon and type in body language then it will come up with plenty of titles but I liked the above hunt about-

2) A practical book which you can use as well is the complete encyclopedia of stage hypnosis: This has a big section on waking hypnois as well as many chapters on why suggestion works. (likewise anything else you can find on suggestion is useful)

3) I found some books on persuasion quite good as well, They cover aspects of why persuasion works and how to do it. Again type this into amazon and you will find many titles, pick the one you like the sound of, (they are only really about £7 each so its not much of a risk)

Also anything on the way the conscience works. Don't go for big pyscological studies and textbooks but books that are labeled a nice introduction to the subject by reviewers. (amazon again) You can judge the book that will be good by the cover. If its got graphics you can be certain that it is aimed at the normal reader intrested in the subject.

Finally "introducing NLP" by seymour(I think that's how its spelt) Is a good primer into NLP. Unless your really intrested in NLP you only really need to study this book. And again most of it is useless anyway. Oh and some books on rapport may be good.

Really just hunt arround. Walk intro a bookshop and go to the psycology section. Flick through some books if they look good buy them. In the back will be recoomended reading sections and just take it from there really. Enjoy.
JudgeBean
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of JudgeBean
Passages by Gail Sheehy
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Does "Passages" tell you about psychology?
aren't you mixing this up with recommended books for Cold Reading
mysterious_guy
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of mysterious_guy
'Psychology of Persuasion' by Kevin Hogan is also good. Check it out.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Cold reading is psychology:

Also as an addition to the above read some new age stuff. Personal Power through Self Awareness by Sanaya Roman is very good.

Again pretty cheap
brownbomber
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh
156 Posts

Profile of brownbomber
I don't rate Collett's book at all (as posted elsewhere I don't think he could read a bluff in a poker hand if his life depended on it), far better to look for something like Desmond Morris's very readable but also detailed Manwatching books (sadly out of print, but you may be able to get through Amazon Sellers), much much more useful in this context. There are very few reliable books on kinesics and body language, most are very fluffy and full of the classic myths - a couple of interesting and original chapters are included in Keith Johnstone's totally essential work 'Impro' (Ian Rowland's finest recommendation!!). For a primer you could do worse than Collins' Gem 'Body Language' pocket book. Or even Caro's excellent book on poker tells would be way better than Collett's lightweight nonsense.

I second the 'Psychology Of Persuasion' book wholeheartedly. Very powerful and useful information.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psychology Books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL