The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bond, James Bond (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
For all you James Bond fans out there, you are probably aware that James is seldom bested in a fight. He can be hit over the head from behind, drugged, gassed, etc. But usually wins in man-to-man fist-to-fist encounters.

Can anyone suggest what style of fighting James uses?

Near as I can tell there is little more to it that brutal street fighting.
Roger Moore, when faced with an enemy once took a boxing stance, but he did not box.
Daniel Craig is the most brutal of Bonds in a fight, but other than a brilliant Parkour opening sequence, I've never seen martial arts from him.
Most of them have shown good MacGyver skills when it comes to picking up something around them to use as a weapon.

Any thoughts on this?

Is there a British martial art? How are real British agents taught to fight?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6470 Posts

Profile of magicfish
James Bond is a girl.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Bill beat me to it.

I first encountered the style in the 90's. We showed some Mossad officers how to use the PR-24, and they shared interrogation and fighting techniques.

The intent of the style is to never leave your feet. If you understand the organization you know why. Almost 100% of their life is within the border of the enemy. In that part of the world being on the ground ends in death.

There is way more to the style as used by the Mossad than is taught in most classes. It can be an incredibly brutal style by necessity and design.

But as for what ol James uses it is a style that is invented for Hollywood movies and little more at first. The latter movies got into more defined style.

If you want, watch the John Wick movies. That has some pretty defined techniques.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2727 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2019, magicfish wrote:
James Bond is a girl.

No, that's "Nomi!"
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27082 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
James Bond is a girl.
Rumor has it the code "007" gets reassigned.

So would "007" becoming "888" be so bad?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2727 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
James Bond is a girl.
Rumor has it the code "007" gets reassigned.

So would "007" becoming "888" be so bad?

"888?" Bond is retired in the new film, Leiter calls him out of retirement for a job he needs help with, and he works with the "new" "007," who is a woman named "Nomi."

I see this ending one of several ways;

Nomi burns out on the field and retires, the number going back to Bond. (Not very likely, as it's too close to what Eve Moneypenny did.)
Nomi gets killed on the job and Bond regains the "007" designation. (Very probable)
Nomi turns out to BE the "big bad" they've been seeking and Bond has to kill her himself. (Not very likely, but not impossible.)
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2727 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Actually, in the book version of "You Only Live Twice," Bond, completely burned out and expecting to be removed from service, gets a "promotion" to the Diplomatic Corp., to go to Japan and negotiate a code exchange. His new designation for the mission is "7777," it would be interesting if they referenced that in this new film.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have SERIOUS doubts as to if they will flat out kill the first female 007 designation on the first time out. I also really doubt that they will immediately turn her bad. Those just do not make any sense at all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2727 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Oh, I did have a fourth idea. Bond either dies or goes back into retirement, and the film series is now "007" with different characters getting the designation over the course of the series.
Ain't life unkind?"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Wasn't he a ninja in one?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27082 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 16, 2019, critter wrote:
Wasn't he a ninja in one?
You Only Live Twice had a school of ninja.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I seem to remember him learning Judo and having terrible make up as part of his ninja training but it's been a while.
Looks like The Rock's grandfather was a fight choreographer on it so some pro wrestling too.
I seem to recall Judo Gene LeBell doing some bond movies and Judo was one of the real MI5 styles in Fleming's day.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I think he also fenced.
~Will Rogers
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27082 Posts

Here's what I found about fencing: https://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/artic......ther-day
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
He fights dirty.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I remembered another thing about the ninja in the James Bond books is that they inspired Stephen K Hayes to go to Japan in search of ninja and he was one of the key players in the 80s ninja boom. Maybe THE most important figure in the US in the "real world."
It's certain that his instructor, Masaaki Hatsumi, was skilled in Jujutsu but it's still debatable whether his ninjutsu lineage is fully on the up and up. Nonetheless, Hayes is a very good martial artist and instructor.
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think he is the single reason for the popularity of the style in the 90's in America. He himself was a gifted athlete. Whether the style worked as well for anyone else was always the question.

He is a great instructor and salesman.

Because of the nature if Ninjutsu and the way it started, and the 74 or so different families having a defined style wad difficult to begin with. Often they used broken Samurai swords. The tradition is shrouded in mystery and myth for a reason.

All to say I agree critter!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Years ago I stumbled across some television segment comparing various martial arts.

They had a contraption comprising, if I recall correctly, five platforms (each a circular disk about 1 foot in diameter), each atop a relatively thin, metal post; the posts were flexible (so that if you weren't balanced over the center of the platform, it would sway and tip), and graduated from about one foot high to about five feet high.

They had practitioners of the different martial arts try to climb this thing: standing on the lowest platform, gaining their balance, then moving to the next, and so on. Most handled the shortest with ease, struggled with the second, and fell off when they tried the third. Karate, tae kwon do, judo, muay thai, whatever.

Then came the ninjutsu artist. Not only did he make it to the highest platform, he was bounding from one platform to the next and back like an ibex. It was mesmerizing to watch.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I have James Bonds book... He's a bird watcher.
https://www.amazon.com/Black-White-Birds......4&sr=8-1
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bond, James Bond (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL