The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Leaving the internet (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19734 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No. You laid out an opinion that you didn't come close to backing up. You mentioned a whole bunch of things that the internet did not cause.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
150 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
All those words existed for centuries prior to the internet. The internet did not suddenly bring them about. To claim the internet is responsible for them is to ignore history to put forth your own opinion. Which is another thing that happens on the internet.

It's like blaming the roads for all the traffic deaths....
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 4,553+ posts, only credited with
126 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
In my mind, there is no doubt that the use of the internet has caused or played a part in terrible things happening. However, like all things in life that we encounter over time, both the good and the bad aspects have to be weighed to determine its value.

To me, at least so far, the rapid dissemination of knowledge on a global scale contributing to the betterment of our quality of life has outweighed the negatives.

What it has done for the field of medicine and the medical community alone is astounding.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6092 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2019, slowkneenuh wrote:
In my mind, there is no doubt that the use of the internet has caused or played a part in terrible things happening. However, like all things in life that we encounter over time, both the good and the bad aspects have to be weighed to determine its value.

To me, at least so far, the rapid dissemination of knowledge on a global scale contributing to the betterment of our quality of life has outweighed the negatives.

What it has done for the field of medicine and the medical community alone is astounding.

Good point slow. I’m not sure that the positives outweigh the negatives, but the negatives are so negative that it makes me feel the world was a better place before it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19734 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea I think this is the Luddite platform.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6092 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I'm pretty sure internet luring is much more prevalent than it was before the internet.
Hacking databases for ID theft too.
Harrassment etc.
Trafficking.
Bomb threats.
Lots of others than are too horrific to mention.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19734 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
All of which have happened prior to and would continue without the internet. The more you post to justify your position the more you seem to point out how untenable it really is.

But since irony was probably the first casualty of the Internet you may never see it.

And sure Internet luring is new, but in no way can outweigh the good. Also kidnapping and luring did not spring into existence with the internet. One could have made the same accusation about the telephone or Rock and Roll. Oh wait. Old people at the time DID make those arguments!

I get it. You have your "truth " and no amount of facts and evidence will dissuade you from it. I do want to point out that it is morally reprehensible for you to use the very thing you find so destructive.

As for bomb threats and harassment come on. Kids were bullied from the beginning. You can not believe bomb threats are an Internet creation. You simply can not.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6092 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I never said the internet created bomb threats.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6092 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I use the internet even though I think it is bad.
I use alcohol too. Even smoked in the old days even though I knew it caused cancer.
I am morally reprehensible.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6092 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Danny, do you have facts and evidence to prove the world is a better place with the internet?
I don't need to hear any because I respect your opinion.
In my opinion, the world would be a better place without it.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
150 Posts

Step 1: Narrowly focus on a small part of someone else's post.

Step 2: Argue about semantics.

Step 4: State that you are not arguing about semantics.

Step 5: Narrowly focus on a small part of someone else's post that contradicts your own.

Step 6: Ask them to prove the opposite is true; though never stated by original poster.

Step 7: Go to Step 2.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 4,553+ posts, only credited with
126 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
What happened to Step 3?
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
150 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 11, 2019, slowkneenuh wrote:
What happened to Step 3?

Step 3: If you can't make a logical argument against someone's post, criticize the formatting instead.

Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
HOLO9 C /CV N..N,M NHYH NNM….>I—8Z B said my granddaughter.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4724 Posts

Profile of landmark
That's easy for you to say...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2019, magicfish wrote:
The internet is the worst thing to ever happen to mankind.
How is it worse than other things, such as fire, the lever, or gunpowder?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
475 Posts

Profile of karnak
Or electricity? Or the wheel?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19734 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2019, karnak wrote:
Or electricity? Or the wheel?

Exactly. How many have died because of these inventions? Has to be far more than have died because of the internet.

The position is untenable and I doubt he will ever admit it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
top_illusionist
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of top_illusionist
Maybe someone put some spyware or some virus on his computer which caused it to screw up the settings.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of gallagher
You just gotta like Jonathan's new profile foto(!). 😊
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Leaving the internet (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL