The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Leaving the internet (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2019, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Just prepping Thanksgiving dinner.
I liked your analogy with either ridding the world of the internet or ridding the world of guns. Both are tools, both can be used for good or evil. I chose the internet. Some may choose guns. But then you moved in a different direction.
You asked if I'd rather leave a child alone with an internet connected device or a loaded firearm. My response to that ridiculous question would not be parallel nor indicative in any way of support nor abandonment of my position.
I believe the internet has a worse effect on mankind than TNT. Would I rather give a child a smartphone or a stick of dynamite with a lighter? Stop being silly Ron. I know what you're doing.
I wont partake in it.

I don't think I'm the one being "silly."

If you genuinely believe that...

1) The internet is "the worst thing to ever happen to mankind."
2) You would rather rid the world of the internet than guns.
3) A PC running the internet is more dangerous than a loaded gun (which you emphatically stated as "100%").

... then, if you're being consistent, you would feel more comfortable leaving your child alone with a gun than with the internet. It's that simple. But if you would NOT be more comfortable leaving your child with the gun, then perhaps it's time to reevaluate your stance on this issue.

Food for thought. And no need to respond.

Take care.

Ron

So, if I would rather my child be in the house with a mouse in his hand connected to a PC than have him holding a stick of TNT in one hand and a zippo in the other it means I believe dynamite is worse for society than the internet?
Are you kidding?
A child running around a house with a loaded gun, TNT, scissors, a knife, sulphuric acid, uranium, molten lava, has absolutely nothing to do with my position.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19731 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
TNT has been pretty rough for society.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2019, magicfish wrote:
So, if I would rather my child be in the house with a mouse in his hand connected to a PC than have him holding a stick of TNT in one hand and a zippo in the other it means I believe dynamite is worse for society than the internet?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but TNT and dynamite are quite different from each other, TNT doesn't come in sticks, and it is not detonated by a flame or fuse.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but TNT and dynamite are quite different from each other, TNT doesn't come in sticks, and it is not detonated by a flame or fuse.

Tell that to Wile E Coyote
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
493 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tell that to Wile E Coyote

Or AC/DC

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19731 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I might offer that cartoons and song lyrics are perhaps not the best sources of fact.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19731 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:

In the real world TNT is actually quite difficult to detonate! I am too lazy to look it up but didn't it take about 25 years after the discovery to even figure out that it could be detonated?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2648 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
On TV its sometimes called nitroglycerin, looks like water in a bottle, but if dropped it kills everybody.Smile

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Oct 15, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

In the real world TNT is actually quite difficult to detonate! I am too lazy to look it up but didn't it take about 25 years after the discovery to even figure out that it could be detonated?

I don't know the timing, but it is quite difficult to detonate. It needs a blasting cap (i.e., a small explosion from a more sensitive explosive).

It can be melted, poured, and cast, which, along with its general insensitivity, makes it an excellent explosive for munitions.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26974 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yellow dye? !! Guardrails and safety nets. Please.

Entertainment: China builds UFO -> https://www.foxnews.com/tech/china-build......e-system

It gets stranger when fiction leads to fact. https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/10/01/1910242116 today and from long ago:
Quote:
Another professor showed me a large paper of instructions for discovering plots and conspiracies against the government. He advised great statesmen to examine into the diet of all suspected persons; their times of eating; upon which side they lay in bed; with which hand they wipe their posteriors; take a strict view of their *,...
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/829/829-h/829-h.htm
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
493 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I posit that these three statements have completely different meanings and shouldn't be confused:

The internet is the worst thing to ever happen to mankind.
The internet is the most dangerous thing to ever happen to mankind.
The internet is the deadliest thing to ever happen to mankind.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Agreed.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26974 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 15, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
I posit that these three statements have completely different meanings and shouldn't be confused:

The internet is the most dangerous thing to ever happen to mankind.
The internet is the deadliest thing to ever happen to mankind.
Internet ungood?

Watch what you say to your cable box, it might say something to your refrigerator. https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/famil......verview/
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
194 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2019, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Just prepping Thanksgiving dinner.
I liked your analogy with either ridding the world of the internet or ridding the world of guns. Both are tools, both can be used for good or evil. I chose the internet. Some may choose guns. But then you moved in a different direction.
You asked if I'd rather leave a child alone with an internet connected device or a loaded firearm. My response to that ridiculous question would not be parallel nor indicative in any way of support nor abandonment of my position.
I believe the internet has a worse effect on mankind than TNT. Would I rather give a child a smartphone or a stick of dynamite with a lighter? Stop being silly Ron. I know what you're doing.
I wont partake in it.

I don't think I'm the one being "silly."

If you genuinely believe that...

3) A PC running the internet is more dangerous than a loaded gun (which you emphatically stated as "100%").

... then, if you're being consistent, you would feel more comfortable leaving your child alone with a gun than with the internet. It's that simple. But if you would NOT be more comfortable leaving your child with the gun, then perhaps it's time to reevaluate your stance on this issue.

Food for thought. And no need to respond.

Take care.

Ron

Are you kidding?
A child running around a house with a loaded gun, TNT, scissors, a knife, sulphuric acid, uranium, molten lava, has absolutely nothing to do with my position.

First, nobody mentioned "a stick of TNT in one hand and a zippo n the other" except you. Nor did anybody mention scissors, a knife, sulphuric acid, uranium, or molten lava. Let's stick to what you said. Which is:

Seems pretty cut and dry. But feel free to rewrite/clarify those statements if they were hastily written. Or not.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Correct. It is cut and dry. NOBODY mentioned a child with a loaded gun, except you.

I will reiterate my response to your question since you seem to be having trouble.

Question: "So just so I understand, are you of the opinion that a PC running the internet is more dangerous than a loaded gun?"

Answer:"100%"

See Ron? Or do you still want to pretend I said anything about children handling weapons unattended.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26974 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 10, 2019, magicfish wrote:
What reasoning and evidence informs this opinion?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Where should we begin Jon?
Should we take something most agree is really bad for mankind and compare?
Uranium enrichment? Guns?
The Holocaust? The Plague? Specialization? The Ice Age? The lever? Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26974 Posts

That's exactly what I'm asking. Why do you feel it's bad? And how do you get to "worst"?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
As I stated earlier, "...it is probably not quantifiable and it is subjective. Maybe it would be easier to deal with specifics- at least superficially so we can cover more of them ."
So, I feel it is bad because of any and all bad that it either causes, promotes, popularizes, propagates,or facilitates.
I feel it is the worst because I feel the negative impacts of the internet outweigh the negative impacts of anything that has come before it.
We touched on bullying and some great points were made all round. Do you suggest another sub topic?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26974 Posts

Your opinion is your own.
Bullies don't do so well against police and social services: https://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbullyi......dex.html
People tend to be less violent when they know they are on a live camera.

And when something medical happens - help is a click away: https://www.mdlive.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Leaving the internet (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL