The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Time Machine/Watch&Wear/Perfect Time Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I'm not Gerry, but according to Greg at MagicSmith (one of my two favorite mail order places for advice now, along with [you know what's coming] Denny & Lee's) TM is much better engineered, including that it doesn't rattle when you shake it like W&W does, and that it is more flexible in terms of what you need to do as far as moving it to stop the movement. That would be my guess, and that's why, if I buy one, I'm leaning towards a TM.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Dimension
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Dimension
Hi everyone! I’m new to the Café but not to Magic. I began back in the early seventies with bog-standard ‘joke-shop’ stuff (thank’s, Tenyo) then around fifteen years ago after amassing thousands of props I decided to jack it all in. Somebody got a real bargain that day!

Anyway, thank’s to this forum and it’s very knowledgeable and encouraging users I have decided to ‘start’ again.

Down to business… Re. Watch & Wear. I have noted that some of you out there like the effect but not particularly the ‘prop’. My watch is capable of the exact same effect, and it’s a real non-gaffed time piece;

Wear it forever, it’s your normal watch
Will take heavy (unintentional) abuse
No tilt-switches or pressure switches
Has a second-hand
100% reliable
All-metal design

The watch I have and use for this effect is a Citizen Eco-Drive. It’s a top-end model and so it’s not cheap (£250 - £300).

Once the crown has been pulled out the watch can be shown to display different times via the hands being moved (why bother? a watch is a watch isn’t it – that’s what they do?)

The clever bit is once slight pressure is exerted on the crown – IN EITHER DIRECTION the hands speed up IN THAT DIRECTION, thus saving time. At the freely-thought-of-time simply turn the watch around to the spec., pressing in the crown as you do to stop the hands. There is no noise and the motion of doing so is not noticed.

There are only a couple of limitations;

Make sure your spectator isn’t wearing one
Make sure your spectator is not jeweller by trade

Go to http://www.citizen-watch.co.uk/

To see their Perpetual watches. (looks as though my model has been superseded!)

Hope this helps some of you fine people out there!
Smile
jecar
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of jecar
Quote:

The thing is, I like the thing and do perform it (I have the Bazar Watch). It is just that I perceive limitations to the effect.
Who hasn't seen Mission Impossible? Who does not have a remote at home?

Who has a remote at home that will send information to a micro device? While I'll agree with you that the suspicion of electronics being involved in the workings of many tricks, will eventually have an effect on many of the electronic tricks that are out now. However, due to the small size of a watch, the receiver would have to be microscopic in size just to be able to fit inside a watch with all the other workings inside also. It can probably be done, but would probably cost a million dollars, too. Because of the near impossibility of the watch being gimmicked like this, I don't think the audience of particpants would give any thought whatsoever of remote control being involved. Just my thoughts on it.

However, if this ever happens, I have a $450 'Perfect Time' for sale....cheap. Smile Not to mention a brand new 'Time Machine' that I'd also sell.

Jerry
Gerry McCambridge
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Gerry McCambridge
I posted a long post explaining the differences between the watches. Another well respected member e-mailed me and told me it was "One of the best/informative posts he has seen on here".

I can only assume that one of the mederators deleted the post. Can that person step foward and explain what rule I broke or why the post was deleted.
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
289 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
I have Time Machine. This evening I did a walk around for a large gathering, and tried it on a few kids. This is tricky, because some can't tell time.

Anyway, here's the kicker. It was 7:35 PM, and a child named 10:00. Not much wait time at all. Then, one child said how he thought I did it, and HE WAS RIGHT!. I then asked him his age. He said 5.

This goes back to my contention that adults are easier to fool than children.

(No, this five year old didn't get into any details about gravity switches. However, the basic method of how the time gets from point A to point B, this little kid figured out. His father was not a magician, either. Scary.)
Julien
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Julien
What presentation did you use ?
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
I'd like some advice from Time Machine users about the patter they use when you have to wait 45 seconds or so. It seems like forever to me, so I have stopped taken it out of my routine it until I can justify talking (or waiting, or asking a question) for up to a minute before showing the watch.

Any help is appreciated.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
I use my own ungimmicked watch effect, which coincidentally happened to be the same as the one in Lifesavers by Michael Weber, or so I've been told, and also the version by Ted Lesley in Para Miracles. I used it for a while then someone pointed out Michaels version and I later found out about the Lesley one.

Anyhow, I used to perform it and still do occasionally. I've found that strangers are likely to believe it's your trick watch, since you never seen them before and they don't know you always wear it. But for people I know, they are totally stunned, since they know it's a regular watch.

I've been angry more than once when "strangers" have described it as a piece of gimmick Smile
I do perform mentalism and I DON'T perform it as a magictrick. Even within the context of a mentalism "show", someone still pointed out that I have a gimmicked watch. Which I don't and that really... um... makes me angry?
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
mike4dice
View Profile
New user
Randolph, NJ
84 Posts

Profile of mike4dice
bart - to (maybe) answer your question about the time delay with The Time Machine.

I bought mine this summer at the SAM Centennial Convention in New York from Bob King. He sold a ton of them there.

He suggested mentioning that you have a large digital clock in your bedroom and when you woke up it had stopped and was flashing xx:xx. Or this could be a dream.

Hopefully something to work with.

mike Smile
"Talents are best nurtured in solitude; but character is best formed in the stormy billows of the world." - Goethe
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Oh my god!

How did Bob know I have a large digital clock in my bedroom. Spooky...

Thanks for the advice. Any others?
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Another way to handle the possible 45-second delay on these watches is to ask a spectator to name an hour. If you now see that you need extra time at this point, take a moment to choose a second spectator (while the watch is doing its thing), chat a moment, and ask the second person to name a minute -- i.e., "Okay, we have seven o'clock. Now see the minute hand in your mind ... where is it? It's seven what?" etc.

This approach involves more spectators and fills time through a natural procedure.

Also good is any presentation in which you propose to send to the audience a time that is etched in your mind. ('I woke up in the middle of the night last night, turned over, and saw my clock dial glowing," or whatever.)

This approach of narrowing it down to a certain part of the day or night also helps you limit the range of possible times, which is a huge advantage.
I agree with Chris Carter that the effect is very strong. And I believe a watch is too thin for people to suspect an elaborate remote-control gizmo. You're a mind reader, not James Bond.

Jerry
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
With todays technology, where you have cameras inside your watch and stuff like that, it's very possible you can do all sorts of things with them. Like install some receiver and stuff to make it all possible.

Of course the right presentation can do wonders, but overall I believe that if you're a stranger they'll suspect the watch. I mean, why can't you borrow someone elses watch? Watches ain't a rare thing to wear. Think about it. If we could use their watches the suspicion of gimmickry is gone.

Just a thought...
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
max88
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of max88
Jerry, I like your idea of have two sepctator very much. But I always has a problem in mind is how can you do something else like talk but at the same time you have to look at the watch naturaly?
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Quote:
On 2002-08-30 19:01, max88 wrote:
Jerry, I like your idea of have two sepctator very much. But I always has a problem in mind is how can you do something else like talk but at the same time you have to look at the watch naturaly?

Thanks for the compliment. As for the problem, the way to get around having to look at the watch is to justify looking at the watch.

To me, this means using a presentation in which, rather than predict a time, instead you project a time to audience members. It's perfectly natural to look at the watch as you try to "send" the hour and minute. You don't need to be covert.

Cheers,
Jerry
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
I have a question guys, With all the recent "talk" about people being "ripped off" and alot of people being eager to point fingers and place blame.
Does noone care that "Time Machine" is a rip-off of "Watch & Wear"?
Or is it ok to "rip-off" someones effect if you make a better quality version for a cheaper price?
Just a thought, & sorry if I'm missing something.
Brent Braun
http://www.braunmagic.com
mike4dice
View Profile
New user
Randolph, NJ
84 Posts

Profile of mike4dice
Quote:
On 2002-08-31 18:31, braunmagic wrote:
Does noone care that "Time Machine" is a rip-off of "Watch & Wear"?

I guess I missed something! How do you know that TM is a rip-off of W&W? News to me.

I bought my TM from a reputable dealer at the SAM Centennial Convention in New York in July.

How would I know it was a rip-off? I don't believe anyone was selling W&W at the convention.

Now that I own TM, what would you suggest I do?

thanks...mike Smile
"Talents are best nurtured in solitude; but character is best formed in the stormy billows of the world." - Goethe
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
The makers of "Watch & Wear" have made it publicly known that the "Time Machine" is the exact same item just made by someone else and with a "mercury switch" instead of a "silver switch".
Brent Braun
mike4dice
View Profile
New user
Randolph, NJ
84 Posts

Profile of mike4dice
Quote:
On 2002-08-31 23:46, braunmagic wrote:
The makers of "Watch & Wear" have made it publicly known that the "Time Machine" is the exact same item just made by someone else and with a "mercury switch" instead of a "silver switch".

Well, this member of the "public" is unaware of these claims. Could you please elaborate or supply URL/reference? Thanks!

Also, since you brought this up, I'd appreciate answers to my other questions - or at least you thoughts on the matter.

thanks...mike Smile
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
Quote:
On 2002-09-01 11:04, mike4dice wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-08-31 23:46, braunmagic wrote:

Well, this member of the "public" is unaware of these claims. Could you please elaborate or supply URL/reference? Thanks!

Also, since you brought this up, I'd appreciate answers to my other questions - or at least you thoughts on the matter.

thanks...mike Smile

Well some evidence that Time Machine is a clone, would be that W&W has been on the market for years. Time Machine appears on the market this year.
Some claim TM is an improvement, frankly I don't see the improvement. But TM is substantially lower in price.
Regarding "reputable dealers" , some would say that's an oxymoron. There is a whole list of "clones, that have bee marketed by dealers
It's up to your conscience as to who you support.
from
Ford
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
Mike,
You will find the info at http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......t=000042
It seems to me that Most reputable dealers know that "time Machine" is a rip-off. Most probably just don't care as it is less than half the price of the other and they, in order to compete and make money must offer it to there clients.
As far as noone at the convention caring "Watch & Wear" I would assume they aren't carrying it because it is twice the price of the one alot of other dealers are carrying so they simply can't compete.
What to do after you bought it? thats a tough question. Maybe you should contact the dealer you bought it from and ask him?
I am not blaming anyone for buying it if they simply did not know it was a rip-off.
You are an innocent victim Mike. The only thing I can suggest is not purchasing products from the creator of "time machine" (Rob Stiff)in the future.
It should also be pointed out that I am in no way trying to throw stones, But being a creator of magic who has had several of my ideas ripped off makes this whole subject hit close to home.
Just my thoughts,
Brent Braun
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Time Machine/Watch&Wear/Perfect Time Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL