The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Is the magic painting still in your show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1040 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
This trick is all over the www and youtube.

There are even instructional videos on how to make greeting cards out of it.

Is it still revenant and is it still in your show? And if yes how it plays. Do you get lots of "I have seen this one before" or "I know this one" from the kids?
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I have never done it. I do not use "kiddie" tricks,
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
If you are talking about the "Magic Painting Cards" that you brush with plain water and get colors on a black and white line drawing... that's not the kind of magic painting that magicians are doing in a kids magic show. Instead, most children's magicians use a variation of "Instant Art" in which a black and white line drawing is colored instantly and magically by simply removing it from its frame. Of course, it is played up so that you get all the children to grab some color from their clothes and throw it through the air at the painting so you can pretend that was the "magic" that causes the painting to suddenly appear all colors.

Any magician who is getting kids saying that they have "seen it before" are probably using one of the versions sold in magic stores. As I show in "Portrait of Grandma", which is available on a website that shall remain nameless, this is something that is easily made and you have a wide source of pictures that I can guarantee no other magician is using to make your performance of the trick look different from any of the others.

If you mean "is it relevant?" my answer is that you make the magic you use relevant by engaging the audience in making the magic happen. That always plays well to most audiences.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1040 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Thanks Jim.

Sorry, I used the wrong terminology. Instant art is what I was diving at. As stated earlier people are even making greeting cards out of this. I was just curious if with all the exposure whether other magicians are still using it in there shows and how well it plays...

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
John Breed's "Visible Magic Painting" invented in 1967, as currently produced by Ickle Pickle Magic under the name "Instant Art", http://www.icklepicklemagic.com/store/in......nt%20art gives the latest twists to the trick in which colorful things that weren't even shown in the original black & white line art drawing suddenly fill up the entire scene. You can see what I mean on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0u2FsoDfx4

That makes the trick more interesting. In my latest e-Book, "3-D Magic", I go one step further by getting rid of the frame so I can make a three-way transformation from a black & white drawing to a full color drawing and finally to a 3-D version of the full color drawing. But that only works if you have made a commitment to doing an entire show or at least a portion of the show with the audience wearing 3-D glasses, which is not for everyone. Even so, the new method opens the way for three and four-way transformations of the picture which means that the end of "Instant Art" is not yet in sight for me. Only those who are limited to performing cookie-cutter magic purchased from magic stores, who cannot or will not get involved in the "arts and crafts" of building their own props, will be left behind doing the same old stuff everyone else is doing.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I never liked Instant Art because of the top border sticking out, but but the larger New Style Magic Painting from Practical Magic to me is much more convincing... and if you add an extra "layer" to your routine it's much more of a fooler.

But I've been using their Great Painting Competition much more lately because it allows a lot more calling out of the performer from the kids. You can check that out on their website as well. The frames I received were a bit cheap, and fell apart quickly, but found some more after contacting Gary for advice. I asked that he consider additional inserts for other themes (the only one supplied is a Jack In The Box) but he did not address that.
longdeademperor
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of longdeademperor
Also from Practical Magic, ‘Splat Rabbit’ is a great Magic Painting Routine for 3-8 year olds.

https://practical-magic.com/products/spl......27&_ss=r
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1040 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Thanks for the responses gents!

Sounds as if not a lot of you guys are not using one...

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I use the Visible Colour Painting in my shows, along with a breakaway crayon. The visible colour painting prop that I own was the one made by Hank Lee long ago. I have 3 inserts for it (clown, birthday cake / rabbit, and Christmas tree). This is the one created by John Breeds. It gets audible gasps when the picture colours in.

I also have the New Style Magic Painting (Jumbo) from Practical Magic, and use that in my shows. I have the birthday pages, Christmas pages, pirate pages, and the young magician pages (I stocked up on 100 of each last December). This is the trick created by Gary Mark. This was built & sold in the USA by Marty Hahne (Dazzling Magic) at one time, when Marty had an agreement with Jeremy (before Gary took over Practical Magic). Now, Practical Magic is the only source. Again, a strong audience reaction.

So, I might use one prop in a show one year, and the other prop in a show for the same customer the next year.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2019, kihei kid wrote:

I'm curious. Are you asking because if lots of magician are NOT using it, you WILL use it to be unique OR you will only use what a lot of other magicians are using because you don't want to be different?
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1040 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2019, kihei kid wrote:

I'm curious. Are you asking because if lots of magician are NOT using it, you WILL use it to be unique OR you will only use what a lot of other magicians are using because you don't want to be different?
Nah.

I don’t currently use it because of the what I would deem is massive exposure of the trick. Yes, lots of magic is exposed these days in the Information Age but this particular effect is being used all over the place. As noted previously, folks are now even making hand made greeting cards with this effect.

Of course I cognizant that one can dress this up in many different ways (visible painter) to help cover and entertain with it and I am not saying magicians shouldn’t bother because of the exposure just curious if many are and how well it’s playing.

kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1040 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2019, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I use the Visible Colour Painting in my shows, along with a breakaway crayon. The visible colour painting prop that I own was the one made by Hank Lee long ago. I have 3 inserts for it (clown, birthday cake / rabbit, and Christmas tree). This is the one created by John Breeds. It gets audible gasps when the picture colours in.

I also have the New Style Magic Painting (Jumbo) from Practical Magic, and use that in my shows. I have the birthday pages, Christmas pages, pirate pages, and the young magician pages (I stocked up on 100 of each last December). This is the trick created by Gary Mark. This was built & sold in the USA by Marty Hahne (Dazzling Magic) at one time, when Marty had an agreement with Jeremy (before Gary took over Practical Magic). Now, Practical Magic is the only source. Again, a strong audience reaction.

So, I might use one prop in a show one year, and the other prop in a show for the same customer the next year.

- Donald
Thank you Donald.

Good to hear you are not only using it regularly but are using it to great success!

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Anatole
If magicians removed every trick in their shows because kids or adults say "I've seen that before," most acts would be only five minutes long.
In the right hands and with the right presentation/showmanship, a "kiddie trick" can be a showstopper. Example: Read what David Kaye had to say about "The Magic Coloring Book" in his book _Seriously Silly_.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2019, Anatole wrote:
If magicians removed every trick in their shows because kids or adults say "I've seen that before," most acts would be only five minutes long.
In the right hands and with the right presentation/showmanship, a "kiddie trick" can be a showstopper. Example: Read what David Kaye had to say about "The Magic Coloring Book" in his book _Seriously Silly_.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez

Agree. My most popular trick (as mentioned from daycare workers and kids) in daycares is the coloring book. If anyone wants to drop the classics from their shows, by all means do so. That just helps me out!
Russo
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Russo
When told "I've seen that before" or "I know that one" I usually reply "Good, don't tell anyone so WE can fool the others, OK!!" 99.9% of the time its works and can continue.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24053 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My favorite is "Portrait of Grandma": https://www.magicnook.com/WizJour09/wj0909.htm It surprises a lot of spectators in my audience. Daycare center staff usually approach me after my show and complement me for that trick. When children tell me they seen me at a previous show, I leave out the Coloring Book and perform Portrait of Grandma.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Is the magic painting still in your show? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL