The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memory effects (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
corindaman
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Looking for some recommendations for memory effects! I have the memory span of a goldfish so nothing to taxing please!!!
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2318 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
There's no such thing as a bad memory. There are only trained, and untrained memories.

Colin Cloud has a really good routine for faking it in Divine called Mesmerized Deck.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
493 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Do you want to perform ACTUAL memory-effects or perform effects that APPEAR to be memory-based?

corindaman
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Do you want to perform ACTUAL memory-effects or perform effects that APPEAR to be memory-based?

That appear to be memory based if that is possible.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
493 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2019, corindaman wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:

That appear to be memory based if that is possible.

Not only possible, but significantly easier.

George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1627 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Lee Earle's "Alphatized" uses a deck of 26 cards with letters of the alphabet. It involves some long-term memorization prior to performing the effect, and some memory and mostly appearance of memory while performing. The effect is my favorite opener.

George
Pastor Mickey
View Profile
New user
Colorado
93 Posts

Profile of Pastor Mickey
Graphic, by Matt Mello. Memory Test, by Richard Osterlind
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2302 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Binary Code (Rick Lax). Instant download from Penguin Magic.
Storm (Patrick Redford), The Evolution of a Rain King (ibid.), basically a lot of effects by Patrick Redford but those two are from his Applesauce book, which I really like.

I actually like Binary Code and Storm the best, in terms of ease relative to impact on an audience.

I'm not familiar with Graphic by Matt Mello but Photographic by Matt Mello is a memory effect with no actual memorization. It's ok I suppose. I use a memorized deck so the method he uses, while clever, isn't needed if I make the same compromises as he does in the effect (those who have it should know what I mean).

Those are just off the top of my head, as a lot of this is just relative to framing any number of effects.

Best,
Chris
Pixelated
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
I love Wayneman by wayne dobson. Easy to do and great reactions. Its on one if the BBM ultimate self working DVDs if I remember correctly.
Dr Ross
View Profile
Regular user
Lincoln, UK
131 Posts

Profile of Dr Ross
Ben Cardall has some good (card-based) memory effects . They can be found on his ‘At the Table’ lecture.

And believe it or not, I took a card-based effect by Boris Pocus (Sankey) called ‘Lottery’ and adapted it to be an apparent memory effect.

- Ross
Ross Bartels

Author of:
'Janken' (propless RPS effects) and 'Tacitus'
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1037 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Harry Lorayne's How to Develop a Super-Power Memory.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Vincent Hedan’s Babel book test is a terrific book test with a memory theme. There is a small degree of actual memory involved (not hard), but I think that’s a plus because when you tell the audience you are using your memory, you actually are, so adds and authenticity to the moment.
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
420 Posts

Profile of Axel
I don't quite know why Luke Jermay's "49 Seconds" doesn't get mentioned more often. I think it's a great routine.
Pastor Mickey
View Profile
New user
Colorado
93 Posts

Profile of Pastor Mickey
Hey Chris, here is Graphic by Matt Mello. Photographic might be an update?
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=218
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2302 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2019, Pastor Mickey wrote:
Hey Chris, here is Graphic by Matt Mello. Photographic might be an update?
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=218

Thanks! It seems quite a bit like Photographic, as you can see here: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4436
No idea which is the update, I believe Photographic is part of a DVD set he sold at some point.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2302 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2019, Axel wrote:
I don't quite know why Luke Jermay's "49 Seconds" doesn't get mentioned more often. I think it's a great routine.

I’d say because it has mixed reviews. I don’t own it but I did look it up based on your post. From what I’ve read, I wouldn’t buy it.
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
420 Posts

Profile of Axel
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2019, Chris K wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2019, Axel wrote:

I’d say because it has mixed reviews. I don’t own it but I did look it up based on your post. From what I’ve read, I wouldn’t buy it.

Okay. Interesting.
I bought it a few years ago and did quite like it.
Thought it had a nice build up and clever methods.
But I don't know many routines of this kind so can't really compare.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1715 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
It is also worth looking at the relevant “step” in Corinda. There are several techniques covered briefly but adequately and a number of performance presentations that range from good to very good.

Patrick
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2216 Posts

Profile of NeilS
My favourite memory effect is teaching the audience to say the alphabet backwards. Fun to do and with the audience pleased at their achievement.
dyoung
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Also worth mentioning Vincent Hedan's 10000 Decimals of Pi.

I also think you should probably read the Lorayne books and other assorted real material. So that you know what's sort of possible and so that you can speak intelligently about it. Lets say you claim to be using pegs to remember some stuff, and someone asks you about it, but you don't actually no the first thing about it. Then it all sort of falls apart.

//Dan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memory effects (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL